Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 Stator - Which winding is which?

Hi guys,

Well the bike is currently dead (07 YZ250) and I believe the cause to be a faulty stator winding.

I have tested three of the windings:

Pick-up coil resistance is fine

Source coil 1 resistance is reading as OPEN Circuit (Black/Red and Black wires)

Source coil 2 is fine

So what is the difference between the two windings? I believe one of them is for driving the carby solenoid. If so, which one?

Strangely enough, the spark plug still fires. The bike will not run. As such, I believe the spark is pretty weak or mistimed. The coil 1 winding is reading as open circuit, which would suggest it is completely disfunctional. Does that mean that winding 2 powers the coil and CDI?

Has anyone had their stator rewound?

I recently had a similar problem. It ended up being the connection to the coil itself. Where the black/red wire is soldered to the coil. Break off the glue stuff and unsolder the wire then check your resistance directly on the coil. If it is still open then look to replace or rewind it. If it is open I would go ahead and remove the tape wrapping on the coil and see if I can locate the break since it is already broken and nothing lost if I cant fix it at that point.

Thanks AV8R,

I tested the wires between the connector and the coil terminals and they came up fine. I've also tested the resistance directly accross the coil terminals and still found an open circuit :thumbsup:

Might have to pull that tape off and chase a broken wire on the winding. Either that or replace it all together.

Can you confirm that the other coil is just to power the carby solenoid??

Thanks,

Bergermeister

I can't tell from the cartoon schematics in the manual which coil is responsible for powering the Solenoid vs say the TPS. It all goes into the CDI unit then the CDI controls how the power is distributed.

In the trouble shooting section it does make reference to source coil 1 and source coil 2. Then in the schematics it shows a black wire and a red wire coming out of the CDI to the solenoid valve. So It could be surmised that the black wire and black/red wire power the solenoid, but can't say for sure.

I do know that the "coil pack" can be seperated from the mounting plate and this coil pack was exactly the same on my old YZ250F that I have. So it you can locate a ignition coil for most any 250 or at least early model 250F's it will likely be the same unit. The wire colors coming off the coils were different and a different plug at the end, but all resistances on the coils were the same.

• Like 1

Thanks AV8R, your'e a bloody legend mate :thumbsup:

I tried to follow the wiring diagram too, but it doesn't give too much away. Who knows what goes on inside that little box of tricks (CDI). I thought I read somewhere that the extra winding was for the solenoid... who knows?

Thanks heaps for the tip on the YZ250F coil. I reckon it'll be easier to find one of those second hand that a YZ250 unit.

I've been looking at buying a whole new unit from electrexworld.co.uk

So far that's still a cheaper option than getting the stator rewound.

Thanks again for all your help - good gas for you!

Bergermeister

Thanks AV8R, your'e a bloody legend mate

I tried to follow the wiring diagram too, but it doesn't give too much away. Who knows what goes on inside that little box of tricks (CDI). I thought I read somewhere that the extra winding was for the solenoid... who knows?

Thanks heaps for the tip on the YZ250F coil. I reckon it'll be easier to find one of those second hand that a YZ250 unit.

I've been looking at buying a whole new unit from electrexworld.co.uk

So far that's still a cheaper option than getting the stator rewound.

Thanks again for all your help - good gas for you!

Bergermeister

No problem hope you get it sorted out. Good luck:ride: