ATK 605 clutch repair

Just picked up a 1998 ATK 605, clutch slipping. Found out its a lot of work to get clutch cover off to replace clutch plates. How do you get the timing puley off the crank? special puller? Help needed. Thanks

crank pulley needs a screw puller - don't try without, if you damage it,

it costs way morethan the correct tool!.

Keith at American Dirt Bike has all you need.

Don't even run it without a new oil filter and timing belt. Then it wil last 1000 years!

Before you go to the trouble of replacing the clutch, try adjusting it first.

There is an exact, and easy , way to adjust the clutch and if properly adjusted it works slick as can be.

If you have the original tool kit, there is what looks like a very rinky-dink single ended box wrench. That loosens the lock nut and the adjustment is then made.

It has been 5 years since the service guy at the ATK factory showed us how to do it on a factory ride in Utah and I can't remember the details. I believe the directions are in the owners manual. Or, call the service guy at the factory. They are nice folks.?

Before you go to the trouble of replacing the clutch, try adjusting it first.

There is an exact, and easy , way to adjust the clutch and if properly adjusted it works slick as can be.

If you have the original tool kit, there is what looks like a very rinky-dink single ended box wrench. That loosens the lock nut and the adjustment is then made.

It has been 5 years since the service guy at the ATK factory showed us how to do it on a factory ride in Utah and I can't remember the details. I believe the directions are in the owners manual. Or, call the service guy at the factory. They are nice folks.?

Loosen lock nut. Back adjusting screw out until it loses contact with the pressure plate. Screw it back in until it just makes contact with the plate again. Then back it out about 1/8 turn. Tighten lock nut. ?

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'll try adjusting the clutch, If still bad, I'm sending my engine to American Dirt bike Inc., and get a top end rebuild while its there

Yep, give it a shot... If not, well, the motor will be in good hands. Keith can freshen the entire motor for a REALLY good price. I opted to do mine myself, but seriously considered having him do it.