No Trespassing means No Trespassing!

Say what you will.

I understand some of the "NO TRESPASSING" thing but some people however, take it too far. Greeting people with a gun? ***? that's way out of line. A gun should never be used to intimidate people. It should only be drawn if you are 100% going to shoot. Trespassing is not an issue that needs to be met with life-taking force. Oh, and if you do decide to shoot a trespasser that is not endangering your life, YOU WILL GET LEGALLY ****ED!

I don't understand how someone can go so overboard on this subject that they feel the need to baricade every inch of their property, even gate their driveway. It's just ridiculous.

Where I live my parents have a decent amount acreage. We don't have any fences or gates or baricades. People ride through our property once in a while. It doesn't bother any of my parents. That's the way it should be. They ride on your land, you ride on theirs.

The only trespassing that bothers me is trespassing hunters.

I agree with you on the idiocy of coming unhinged and threatening people. That's not a good way to handle things, especially since at the end of the day no one's shooting anybody. I trespassed on some land owned by the Audobon Society once to fly rc gliders (I don't trespass on land owned by individuals or families) and some assistant caretaker or something came screaming up in his pickup, jumped out, came running at us screaming like he owned the place. He was dressed the part, Caterpillar hat, flannel, tight wranglers, and a big hunting knife on his belt. He obviously expected us to run, but we weren't going anywhere with our gliders in the air. I looked over at him at one point and he was red faced and trembling, I couldn't tell if he was going to attack us or start crying. Eventually he ran back to his pickup and peeled away ?

If you and your neighbors have an agreement to use each others property I think that's great. You may feel that's the way it should be, but not everyone is comfortable letting others use their land and when people don't respect property rights it gets really frustrating. People work hard to be able to buy land and pay the taxes on it. In our litigious society landowners are risking everything they have when they let people on their land.

Hunters are alowed on my land if they are picking up game shot from their land. The same goes for me. I have shot several deer and had them venture on other people land and was told I couldnt get them. I didnt argue.

I'm not sure what the game laws are like where you're at, but I've had this happen many times before in Oregon. If a wounded animal jumps a fence onto private property, we always contact the landowner and ask permission to pursue it. If they refuse, we'll then contact the State Police and they will send an officer out to explain to the landowner that they are liable for a waste of game citation if they impede the removal of a dead game animal. The landowner is usually more cooperative after that.

It's kinda funny how private property becomes less private once the State gets involved.

Ahh, a nice tip cause if you look at the history of how somebody 'got land', you can bet the taxpayer, you and me, PAID FOR IT!

Some have once again touched on 'no trespassing' correctly and insurance, etc as we have in the track on your property thread.

Nevertheless, I take care of land for 2 guys keeping mine water flowing a certain way in exchange to keep people informed of who can be there and that it's for MTB's, running and fence checking. Never had a problem but then one day land owner 1 realizes I've been taking my truck up there and removing dead trees on my trail which I use to clear their water and he is all pissed until he realizes who it is. Now get this he is so DUMB he forgets that he told me I could do WHATEVER I WANTED as long as I kept the water going the right way which was 5 years ago.

Ago, so he's dumb and I've been driving my truck up their for 5 years and using my brush cutter and suddenly he's irate............then I learn part of it isn't even his land.

GET IT? This guy has NO TRESPASSING signs up on LAND NOT EVEN HIS!

As I've said, it take YEARS to find out who owns land if it's not 'lost land' so around here, you put up a sign and if there is no fence, nobody really believes you.

Meanwhile, the guy on the other side of the border line loves me cause they can walk through and hunt whatever and I check their fence and tell them if their cattle are out or a deer has broken the fence or a tree has fallen and I've fixed taken care of it by taking the wood, but the fence needs fixed. One guy is nice and the other guy owning what is TOTALLY SHIT LAND which is only needed to get to the area to fix the water suddenly becomes an ASS and doesn't own the land at all he told me he did!

Therefore, I may be 'a dikk', but no fence and I'm sorry, but I don't believe a word you say and that's from experience in more than one case of which I don't have time to relate here.

The 'crazy' guy was worried about my truck trail which he handn't notice for 5 years though I've been doing his work that long was worried about the insurance and kids coming up there and parting and smoking weed on slate piles and slag piles and shit land to which I said, 'ok, sell it to me'. 'oh, you couldn't afford the insurance'. Believe me, he don't know what I can afford, but I just let that go as he wanted to be an ass and he still doesn't own the land I'm on, the other guy does and only once in a while do I cross the crazy guy's property though I've cut another road for that, now. \\

So yes, insurance could be a problem, but it will ALWAYS be a problem signs or no! You don't want the hassle, don't own it! (that' for the crazy guy, nobody on here_)

Around here there is land nobody knows who owns as I've said signs or not and people will put up signs just to be PITA's.

Now for the guns. On your land you can walk around all you want with a bazooka on your shoulder for all you want, but the second you point at somebody, even if they are trespassing, believe, you aren't getting their crap, your crap is going to jail if they call the cops and if it's a felony, you'll lose ALL YOUR GUNS and any right to own them and get a kidnapping charge on top of it. Even hear in hazard county, not a good idea to pull a gun on a person which might get your dogs dead or house burned down, too.

Even happened to me with cops and I own the land and was running and had a gun as some beeatches don't want to leash their dogs and coyotes, too. Two sheriff's show up at my door asking if I was shooting today. No, didn't need to, but I carry my gun on private land WHERE IT IS MY RIGHT which I said with emphasis so they knew I wasn't just joe blow, and it's for protection against dogs and coyotes.........immediately they knew I wasn't a tard, but said, 'well, you shouldn't be shootin' peoples dogs'. Well, they shouldn't be chasin' me.......talk to them and nobody will have any problems and I can run faster when I'm not carring this sig 40, too! (something did happen to their dogs and I heard they accused a neighbor of shooting one and another got poisoned, but I don't know anything except what I heard)

People think they own stuff which they don't including you and may not like my 'no trespassing ideals', but around here, when you get land 'by chance' from a coal company for $1 an acre which nobody else has a chance to bid on all the while the coal company f'd up the roads and got tax breaks from, me, frankly I really don't give a flying crap if you say it's yours or not cause I paid for it, too!

I also have two farming relatives and some may claim of 'the grass and hay and alfafa' and it getting ruined, but most people ride around the edge of a field around here and here or anywhere, the price of cutting, fluffing, drying, and bailing the hay is more than the hay is worth! ONe of those big round bales? $10 on the market at second cut and first may be more, but if you are 'saving land' and claiming its worth for 'hay', it ain't worth it.

You can liken it to the guy with the 100K custom harley, a porsche, and an escalade in his garage which he never drives any of them. Yea, they paid for it, but it ain't worth anything if you don't use it and it's the same with land and many just like to brag, 'oh I own that' and you don't know if they do or not, anyhow and as a matter of fact, nowadays if you have a highwall or mine water coming off your land, guess what? You are supposed to fix it and it's considered a hazardous waste site just like I CANNOT buy land and put cattle on it if they have direct access to a stream. So my cows can't go to the stream, but you can allow mine water to pour into the same stream and pollute the water? Not an eye for an eye, but there is A LOT OF BS out there with land ownership.

So get it? You 'have your land', but for one, I don't know you or anyone who may own it, I likely already helped pay for it AND I can bet around here you have a hazardous waste problem polluting the environment. Yea, landowners are all that and the only good thing is the baby boomers are gonna be getting dead soon!

I completely agree with people being worried about liability issues and whatnot. My parents have plenty of insurance for this so we should be OK if anything was to happen.

We spend a great deal of money for liability insurance each year. I do this because I was sued when someone broke their ankle on my property many years ago. While I had insurance, I felt it necessary to hire my own attorney just in case the insurance company backed out on a loophole. To hire this attorney it cost me thousands of dollars for an event that ultimately tied up the courts for a week. The jury tossed the case out and I was vindicated. The person got nothing.

The way I figure it - I wouldn't have to have home owners liability in addition to our regular policy if no one came on our property. It's pretty unfair to me that I should have to spend the extra money each year for it, but the way I see it - I have to protect myself. I'm sure there is some dirtbag that figures he can fall on his face so that he can sue me and own my house.

I definitely agree with you there.

I apologise for irritating anyone here on the subject. I shouldn't spout my mouth off especially since I haven't personally experienced any of this. I do know that I wouldn't ever do something like that to make money.

Also, I have never trenched anyone's yard.

Talking to the trespassers (without any screaming or guns) should do the trick. When I got stopped for riding some guy's trails he nicely asked me not to ride there again. I haven't since then. That was three years ago.

• Like 1

I was on a ride last year with my brother in law and some friends. we got lost and were almost out of gas when we came across a road with a locked gate. we un-twisted the barbed wire to get through. we passed through, and then then started to put the fence back together. the owner came flying down the road and was flipping out. we knew we werent supposed be there, but at this point we didnt have much of the choice. the guy thought we cut his fence apart. as soon as he realized what we were doing, he calmed down, and actually helped us. He then told us exactly how to get where we were going.

ever since then, even if the gate is open we wont go through. i try to have as much respect for people's property as possible, but I dont understand when people have a fit over us going down groomed dirt roads.

there has also been a case or two out here of people putting out wire across the road to make you wreck, thats just uncalled for.

And we didn't even touch on the taxpayer supported logging and logging roads out west as well as logging property around here whereby after it's logged, if you ride it with motorcycles and ATV's and keep the multiflora rose down and blackberry and raspberry bushes down, the smaller trees now exposed to sun and not suffocated by those weeds will grow faster and better where they might not have grown at all without trail maintanence. Yea, that 4 feet is gonna kill ya. That's another property I ride on but a couple times a year because it doesn't go anywhere and it's ABSENTEE LANDOWERS from floriday who actually tried to sell it to me at a price while telling me it wasn't logged when I'd been on the logging roads AND the log trails could be seen from the arial land survey and I can tell you that in 5 years, not a single new tree has come up on the logging road because of the weeds. Just cause you own land don't make you smart nor respectable and most of my experience has proven the opposite but that doesn't mean I'm a jerk and do whatever I want.

On that desert fence I mighta freaked, too, as we live on a dirt road with a long driveway and nobody should be coming up here and if lights and a car are coming up, the guns are coming out with me as you don't know who thinks you might not be there or are and just might be a methhead looking for an easy score.

Classic thread!?

My favorite parts were where Fullyard said he was 22, but then a couple posts later, said we Americans should try growing up as a teen in the 21st century in Canada.?:lol:?

Absolutely classic. ?

I seriously can not believe there is anyone out there who believes its ok to trespass. On top of that, I can not believe there is anyone out there who would question a landowners decision to carry a weapon if confronting some trespassers, or question a landowner if he wants you off his/her land. Its their land, respect it! Some trespassers are there to set up meth labs, grow pot, or any other number of illegal activities. That said, lets just say most of those who operate methlabs arent the most reasonable folks. If someone has a foolproof way to determine which of the guys on dirtbikes are just accidental trespassers out for a ride, or tweekers out looking for a lab location, then Im all ears. Hell, it doesnt even need to be a tweeker. It could just be some moron like fullyard who wants to fight if you use some stern words to chase him off.

Screw it. Let's just shoot anyone you see on your property, ask them who they are if they're alive after. I mean, a win win situation right? If they happened to be a meth lab dude riding a dirtbike looking for prospective places, he's dead or close enough that he won't bother you again. If it's just some guy that followed a trail and ended up in your side of the woods, he'll know not to do it again. Didn't know meth dudes were this big of an issue that anyone out in the country should be afraid for their lives, good to know.

I'm gonna google "How to make mines" and start setting those up along my fenceline too. I'll just put a no trespassing sign every 30 feet, that way when they get blown up they'll have no excuse.

V2.0 of Mudkipian Mines will have a setting that determines if it's an ATV or a MC and acts accordingly (you know...blows up the atv, and pops the mc's tire).

I look at it pretty simply personally. All of my personal property and family farm property is fenced,gated and liberally signed with various types of no tresspassing signs.

I am not a confrontational person by nature. If someone is found tresspassing then i simply take down the make/model of vehicle with plate number. Hopefully a couple pics of people on our land. And a call to the state police. No ands,ifs or buts, no questions.

On average 15 or so people get proscecuted a year from tresspassing on our lands. Probably 40 or so people seen tresspassing a year.

I would say that 13 of the 15 a year are hunters, which is very not good for them as you don't want to be caught tresspassing in oregon with a lethal weapon.

I have no patience whatsoever for people that are tresspassing on fenced property. Its stupid and without excuse in my mind.

• Like 1

I look at it pretty simply personally. All of my personal property and family farm property is fenced,gated and liberally signed with various types of no tresspassing signs.

I am not a confrontational person by nature. If someone is found tresspassing then i simply take down the make/model of vehicle with plate number. Hopefully a couple pics of people on our land. And a call to the state police. No ands,ifs or buts, no questions.

On average 15 or so people get proscecuted a year from tresspassing on our lands. Probably 40 or so people seen tresspassing a year.

I would say that 13 of the 15 a year are hunters, which is very not good for them as you don't want to be caught tresspassing in oregon with a lethal weapon.

I have no patience whatsoever for people that are tresspassing on fenced property. Its stupid and without excuse in my mind.

Not as fun as shooting them. But I suppose it works... We TT'ers shoot first, ask later. Bullets are cheaper than lawyers.

no im 22 and ive had my fair share of ass kickings, and ive also dealt out more than enough. thats not the point. im not coming here to brag or look for trouble, im giving you my point of view. not all people are gonna be ass kissers and say "oh gosh, im terribly sorry there mr land owner for riding my bike on your land and flattening a few blades of grass, would it make it better if we came to your house on the weekends and mowed your whole property as well as did all the house chores?"

im not trying to be a tough guy, I am who I am and im not a bitch who backs down to anyone, whether I know im gonna lose or win, I wont back down. im just not a pansy which is what youre obviously used to dealing with. I have short temper and no patience, mix that with above average strength, reach, and knowledge of fighting and another guy whos being an ******* its not a good day for him, or me, it could go either way. im fine with that. I can hold my own/carry my own weight.

I dont let people push me around, simple as that. im normally very very nice and calm, but if they want a fight they got a hell of a fight coming their way.

keep those ears tucked into your hat. it reduces wind drag.

ya alot of the trails i ride are like power line trails and snowmobile trails and go though fields and i have made signs saying "go around" with out perm but hey if no one chases me off the land and im helpin them too what the hell =D

Cause you are dealing with guns and possible poaching and in general, people with lotsa money and lotsa land get paid attention to by the coppers. Downs here in the hills O hazzard, the sheriff has been quoted on TV and in the paper that he don't give a 'rats ass' about trespassers and ATV's as he ain't wasting his time and men and money.............a big problem with tax cuts nowadays on chasing ATV's which he knows he can't catch in a car. In fact, on a place we ride there was a stolen truck broken down and I was gonna drag it out with my truck as it was on the trail and people were breaking glass out of it. Drag up to the road and then another guy was taking it for scrap. Day before I did that I went to the guy and he said the landowner called the sheriff and the sheriff said, "I don't care. Do what you want. I know where it's from and likely who stole it, but I'm doing nothing about it so if you want to take if for scrap, go ahead and there'll be no problems with me!"

Life ain't the same everywhere and the only time we see a statey which has an HQ 5 miles away is if there is an accident maybe involving alcohol.

Screw it. Let's just shoot anyone you see on your property, ask them who they are if they're alive after. I mean, a win win situation right? If they happened to be a meth lab dude riding a dirtbike looking for prospective places, he's dead or close enough that he won't bother you again. If it's just some guy that followed a trail and ended up in your side of the woods, he'll know not to do it again. Didn't know meth dudes were this big of an issue that anyone out in the country should be afraid for their lives, good to know.

I'm gonna google "How to make mines" and start setting those up along my fenceline too. I'll just put a no trespassing sign every 30 feet, that way when they get blown up they'll have no excuse.

V2.0 of Mudkipian Mines will have a setting that determines if it's an ATV or a MC and acts accordingly (you know...blows up the atv, and pops the mc's tire).

No one, including me said anything about shooting anyone. Period. Never. Point out where I said go wild west on their ass and start shooting. You wont be able to, because I didnt. What I did say is it is difficult for me to believe anyone would question a landowners right to approach a potentially dangerous trespasser with a weapon. Im not saying brandish it, Im not saying point it at them, and I am definitely not saying run at them firing. Youre just being a drama queen with all the "screw it, lets just shoot and ask questions later", and that meth cookers are such a huge problem everyone out in the country should be afraid for their life stuff. Thats not what I said, but way to take things way out of context and proportion. ??

However, here is a good situation for you. I have a friend who lives about 20 miles west of me. He was walking through the woods on his property and came across a camp. Empty cans everywhere, a fire pit, makeshift tent, lots of camo netting, etc etc. He was walking through checking the whole thing out when the "campers" came back. Both were armed. They had the nerve start questioning him on what he was doing there. On his own property. He explained he was the landowner and then asked them the same question. The answer was pretty unusual. "We are looking for some friends.". He advised them they needed to leave his property, mainly because he was pissed about all the trash they had laying all around. They got pushy, told him they werent going anywhere, and that he needed to show them the title to the land. They had guns, he didnt. He left, called the Sheriffs dept and had them go up there. They found a makeshift lab, along with all the needed chemicals and other items to make meth. He now walks his property armed. Do you think this is a bad idea? If so, why? What would you do? Use harsh language against an armed felon wacked out of their brain who has been awake for the past week? Good luck with that. Granted, the situation may not be commonplace, but is it better to be armed and not need the weapon, or need it and not have it? Thats not a rhetorical question btw...

Moral of the story is you just never know who you will come across. Again, the gun isnt so you can go wild and start shooting everyone, but again, way to be extremely melodramatic. Guns are for self defense, but if you feel like taking on some pricks like Fullyard and his buddy, or some armed scumbags with your bare hands, go ahead. When you own land, thats your right. Those of us who want to be armed when dealing with them, thats our right. Meth cookers may not be a MAJOR problem that endangers everyone in the woods, but they are present, and a landowner has the right to approach trespassers with an undrawn and/or concealed weapon should they so choose. Heck, Ive even seen a couple threads about riders on this board coming across meth labs and big grow operations out in the woods. I remember one where the rider was confronted by some not so nice cooks. I myself have come across a big grow operation before. If you ride in the backwoods of Northern Cali, it happens. Sorry if you dont like it, but protecting myself and my family comes first. And judging by some of the posts made by certain complete idiots in this thread, and going by some of my own personal experiences, thats not such an outlandish policy.

Say what you will.

I understand some of the "NO TRESPASSING" thing but some people however, take it too far. Greeting people with a gun? What the hell? That's way out of line. A gun should never be used to intimidate people. It should only be drawn if you are 100% going to shoot. Trespassing is not an issue that needs to be met with life-taking force. Oh, and if you do decide to shoot a trespasser that is not endangering your life, YOU WILL GET LEGALLY ****ED!

I don't understand how someone can go so overboard on this subject that they feel the need to baricade every inch of their property, even gate their driveway.

Where I live my parents have a decent amount acreage. We don't have any fences or gates or barricades. People ride through our property once in a while. It doesn't bother any of my parents. That's the way it should be. They ride on your land, you ride on theirs.

The only trespassing that bothers me is trespassing hunters.

EDIT: TIG88: That's not at all what I said. Be nice and polite unless you're getting no where with them, then click it into gear and get away and leave a trench. UNLESS THEY HAVE A GUN OR DOG(S) There is no point whatsoever trying to argue or "act tough" infront of an armed person.

Again, not the case. Look up Texas' Castle Doctrine.

Those of us who want to be armed when dealing with them, thats our right..

Yup, definitely your right. I'm not here to dispute the bill of rights, I enjoy the right to bear arms just as much as anyone. I guess it depends a lot on where you are that would dictate if you feel like you should carry a gun on your own property. Have never heard of anyone around me having issues. You asked how to tell between a dirtbiker and a meth lab nutcase, I would assume one would have a dirtbike and the other would be in a vehicle (seems like you can't carry much camping stuff on a dirtbike) BUT again, it's your right to talk to them with a big ol gun just in case. Anyways, I keep forgetting to use the /sarcasm tags, people take me literally...wierd.

This thread is fun??

Just send Ted Nugent an email and ask him how he protects his land. I bet he doesn't have no trespassing signs or no hunting or no anything else signs posted. He probably just posts signs saying land owned by Ted Nugent. That would be enough for me to turn around.