Good Woods Rinding In Az

Hey all sw tt'rs i am new to Arizona and the riding scene out here but i love the track the the phoenix metro has to offer what a great job they all do, but me and my wife love to camp and do some desert and woods riding also i have heard of the cinders and that sounds cool but from what I'm told from my neighbor that is is alot similar to the dunes, which i cant stand, some people like just no my cup of tea. but i know that you get into the treeline in payson which is really close. also flagstaff is not that far but have know idea where to go. but any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

prescott area!!! go to camp wood!!!

i have only been up there for a AMRA race and that was it. capmwood is a great place to ride.

i live in tuson, so we go to silver city more then camp wood because it is only 3hrs away instead of 5hrs annd driving through PHX.

cinders are just dunes made out of little pumice stones, neat to do once, but not my thing more than once or twice either...

if you go north of payson on the 87, past pine and strawberry, and then take a right on the FR-300 (Rim Road, gravel) - there is nearly infinite forest road riding in the trees that connect with Rim Road. with spectacular views off the rim and lots of little lakes to connect to just north of it. you can take the Rim Road all the way to the 260 and then head south back to payson. the whole area is open to camping and is great for that in the summer as it's nice and cool.

now i don't know if there is any single-track, i've only done this in my jeep on forest roads... hope to go explore the area via bike soon though.

map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=strawberry,+az&daddr=34.409176,-111.181641+to:forest+lakes,+az&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&sll=34.298636,-111.231079&sspn=0.437345,0.605621&ie=UTF8&ll=34.326426,-111.100616&spn=0.874393,1.211243&z=10

pic from the rim road: PICT0069.JPG

also looks to be some good bike-only type trails around crown king area - check out the video on page 3 of this thread, you can probably email one of the posters in the thread for GPS coords of the ride:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472649

Flagstaff area,(Aspen trees, not cactus) Not where you want to be most winters for riding. 7,000 ft plus.

IMG_1674.jpg

Prescott area, anything from here (5000 ft) on down pending weather. From here you are within an hour of Wickenburg. (Look more trees and still no cactus)

IMG_1575.jpg

DSCN3014.jpg

Okay a hill climb at the MM's near Wickenburg. Okay we have cactus here and it sure is a nice place to be most winters.

IMG_1918.jpg