Sign in to follow this  

Cal City Rumor control....

Several DIRT team members have been answering phones all day about a rumor that Cal City is closing due to the Governor's Budget...

FALSE!!!

Although we (Team) get some funding through the Green Sticker program, the Cal City area is operating with money from the $8/year permit and lots of volunteer hours. The City is taking a chance and doing something different from everywhere else. It has nothing to do with "closing", "shutting down" "restricting access", "Closures" or any one of those terms that have been constantly on everyone's minds about our sport we enjoy.

Since ALL the DIRT team members are fellow riders, we went out side the box on this new season of programs. There will be more information to come and we are waiting approval for some of these projects, but they all have the same theme, "Expansion, openning additional trails, increase service to campers, and much more".

We are trying to make it easier to access local shops, restaurants, parts sotres, and grocery stores but we are still getting written "In Support" letters from the nearby home owners that would be affected by increase OHV traffic near their homes.

The volunteers are also looking at ways to help campers. We now have ice machines that campers can get ice close by and won't have to travel too far.

We (The City through the Desert Incident Response Team) are working all summer to complete improvemnt projects.

The only negative issue is the $8 annual riding permit may have to be increased by 2 or 3 dollars next year to keep up on rescues that have been increasing. It is still being discussed and will post when there are any further decisions.

:worthy:

• Like 2

this is great news!!

i have no problem paying increase in fees, and i am sure none of the 20+ people that we camp with will either, as long as we can see where our money is going.

Having the additional dump site was a great improvement. i have waited almost 2 hours to dump, now with the 2 lanes it goes muck quicker.

• Like 1

Several DIRT team members have been answering phones all day about a rumor that Cal City is closing due to the Governor's Budget...

FALSE!!!

Although we (Team) get some funding through the Green Sticker program, the Cal City area is operating with money from the $8/year permit and lots of volunteer hours. The City is taking a chance and doing something different from everywhere else. It has nothing to do with "closing", "shutting down" "restricting access", "Closures" or any one of those terms that have been constantly on everyone's minds about our sport we enjoy.

Since ALL the DIRT team members are fellow riders, we went out side the box on this new season of programs. There will be more information to come and we are waiting approval for some of these projects, but they all have the same theme, "Expansion, openning additional trails, increase service to campers, and much more".

We are trying to make it easier to access local shops, restaurants, parts sotres, and grocery stores but we are still getting written "In Support" letters from the nearby home owners that would be affected by increase OHV traffic near their homes.

The volunteers are also looking at ways to help campers. We now have ice machines that campers can get ice close by and won't have to travel too far.

We (The City through the Desert Incident Response Team) are working all summer to complete improvemnt projects.

The only negative issue is the $8 annual riding permit may have to be increased by 2 or 3 dollars next year to keep up on rescues that have been increasing. It is still being discussed and will post when there are any further decisions.

A little more money, no problem. You guys provide a great service. The question is, why has no other town taken your lead? Thanks again for all you do.

Ditto here. Extra money not a problem. CC is a great place to ride with the family and you (DIRT and the City) are doing a great job. Now for my question; do Cal City residence have to pay for the riding permits? I was one of the first 500 to purchase the permits when it started and the helpful lady at the PD mentioned the City residence get free permits. I own property in Cal City, about 1.5 miles from the PD. What do paperwork do I need to show? Property tax receipts etc? And no, I'm not trying to get out of paying for the permits, just wondering.

Ditto here. Extra money not a problem. CC is a great place to ride with the family and you (DIRT and the City) are doing a great job. Now for my question; do Cal City residence have to pay for the riding permits? I was one of the first 500 to purchase the permits when it started and the helpful lady at the PD mentioned the City residence get free permits. I own property in Cal City, about 1.5 miles from the PD. What do paperwork do I need to show? Property tax receipts etc? And no, I'm not trying to get out of paying for the permits, just wondering.

You own property, but are you a resident. Its $8, so just pay it!:worthy: Its nothing considering the cost of gas and expenses to get there.

Its a great deal and one of the very few things you pay for that you get direct benefits.

Surely there's an Obama stimulus loan package you can get to cover the permit costs. :lol:

Like I said in my reply, I'm not trying to get out of paying for the permits. I've been riding in CC for many years and the fees are going to a good cause and I don't mind paying any extra fees, I was just wondering if what the lady told me was true, that's all.

Thats awesome news..... Id be glad to pay $10, $20 or $30 more.... But thats just me

Thats awesome news..... Id be glad to pay $10, $20 or $30 more.... But thats just me

Ditto, especially since i can ride my Red Sticker pollution generator during the summer

We have the family pack which was $40 for 4 bikes and it includes dumping fees. Adding a few more $$ a year is still money well spent, hell, they can double the fees as long as the money goes where it's supposed to.:worthy:

Appreciate the support thread. Will pass on to the team members. We won't be doubling the fees, just need to break even at the end of the season. Weathergeak: Not sure why other towns aren't supportive of the sport and trying what our City is doing. My guess is the LEGAL battles. The City spent $$ on legal issues before the permit was started. City is still doing battles behind the scenes (To keep everything open and moving forward). Even when the TEAM appeared before a senate sub-committee two months ago, we were told by several of the senators that Cal City was "Unique" what we were trying to do. Will be back in Sacramento in January! Would be nice to have supporters on our next appearance.

Red Stickers..... RIDE CAL CITY YEAR ROUND. Just be careful if you venture into BLM area.

• Like 1

Appreciate the support thread. Will pass on to the team members. We won't be doubling the fees, just need to break even at the end of the season. Weathergeak: Not sure why other towns aren't supportive of the sport and trying what our City is doing. My guess is the LEGAL battles. The City spent $$ on legal issues before the permit was started. City is still doing battles behind the scenes (To keep everything open and moving forward). Even when the TEAM appeared before a senate sub-committee two months ago, we were told by several of the senators that Cal City was "Unique" what we were trying to do. Will be back in Sacramento in January! Would be nice to have supporters on our next appearance.

Red Stickers..... RIDE CAL CITY YEAR ROUND. Just be careful if you venture into BLM area.

:lol:

You go Dirt Team Leader. BTW you guys did a fantastic job on the LaKamp memorial ride.:worthy::lol:

Thats good news. Its good to think outside the bowl. Expand. Any way to make it convenient for the campers and profitable for the cause. Thank you.

There are some great supporters on this thread. I'm in there too. I met with the officer at Mule Parkway to purchase two permits and chatted a few minutes about fathers day. The day I was there. He is very nice and took the time to help me get familiar with the area. Thank you Sir and i will be back again to say hi to you. I am a red sticker rider for over 5 years and usually ride elsewhere such as dove springs, hesperia and mammoth. I would say paying the money go's to good cause. Stop the politics and do something you cheap riders and give back to the circle of thumpers. The riding area is quite adventurous an interesting. Easy to get too as well. YOu can even ride where you pick up your permits for day use. Race track is next door. Very well done and thanks again for making it available for all of us riders. We need more riders to pitch in and keep the small donation going so we have a place to ride freely like a bird. Cal City riding is not my style so I figured I will buy it and use it a few times and will continue to buy a permit yearly just to give them the extra little help. I can donate more if you need too. I do plan on taking a trail route to ride from either Dove Springs to Cal City soon or reverse the starting point That will be exciting... You guys take care and see you there soon.

We have the family pack which was $40 for 4 bikes and it includes dumping fees. Adding a few more $$ a year is still money well spent, hell, they can double the fees as long as the money goes where it's supposed to.:worthy:

I pay the $40 and all I have is a truck, dirt bike and a quad. I pay it cause, they need the money, you ACTUALLY see where the money is being used and I fully support the entire staff, plus its not going to the state. Its going to people that REALLY care about the off-road community.

They do a GREAT job for all of us "motoheads" and are very cool (lack of a better term) when stopping riders. They want the riders and families to have a GREAT time and want us to come back. In this state of our economy, the fee is a great investment.