Sign in to follow this  

KDX200 vs. KDX220r Which to buy?

Hello everyone just joined the forum.

I had a 1993 kdx200 in 1995. Loved the bike but I wrecked it and was a little intimidated after the wreck. so I sold it.

But I am ready to purchase another kdx before there all tore up, the 220r was not available until 97 i think.

I'm thinking about a 220 but I have never ridden one. I weigh 150lbs so Im sure a 200 would be great(my 93 was stock with twin air only and was fast i thought), but do not want to regret not buying the 220r. I thinking down the rode when its time to rebuild will one model shine over the other? Carb size.

I am thinking about a late model either way(2000 -2005).

Any advice would be great . Thanks in advance. Pete

Can't wait to start smoking again.

Sorry to ask a questions that has already been asked on page 22or23. NOOB. I will read all those responses so sorry for the over post.

Hello everyone just joined the forum.

I had a 1993 kdx200 in 1995. Loved the bike but I wrecked it and was a little intimidated after the wreck. so I sold it.

But I am ready to purchase another kdx before there all tore up, the 220r was not available until 97 i think.

I'm thinking about a 220 but I have never ridden one. I weigh 150lbs so Im sure a 200 would be great(my 93 was stock with twin air only and was fast i thought), but do not want to regret not buying the 220r. I thinking down the rode when its time to rebuild will one model shine over the other?

I am thinking about a late model either way(2000 -2005).

Any advice would be great . Thanks in advance. Pete

Can't wait to start smoking again.

the 95 and later 200's are a little quicker than the 220's

i have a kdx 220r ,its not all that fast but has nice,useable power.easy to ride.

The 220 wil have better low end grunt than the 200 but won't have as much top end power as the 200 does. They are both very reliable bikes so either one is good in the reliability department. The only common problem with either the 220 or 200 that I have heard of is the stock piston problem with the 220's but if the 220 is rebuilt with a different piston such as a wiseco it should be good to go.

What he said. Think about which type of terrain you are going to be riding on. Both will serve you well, but one may be better for what you are wanting.

They are both great bikes but the 220 has a larger carb to give it more torque and low end the 200 has more of a hit. :worthy:

the 220 has a larger carb

Nope- it's the other way around. The 220 has a *smaller* carb to enhance the low end.

To the OP- I'm not sure it matters that much which one you buy. My approach was to buy the best bike at the best price that was available when I had the cash to pull the trigger. I would have wanted to make sure that the piston had been replaced or the price was such that I could afford to do it if I'd found a 220.

I am a newer, probably intermediate rider, and i am coming off a crf230. Its a good bike but isnt really doing it for me power wise. The kdx is my primary bike that im looking at. Anyone have any review thhoughts/ advise on either bike.

Thanks thumper talk