Yami WR or Honda CRFX?

I've decided I want a offroad bike since I will probably ride 80% trails and putt around on tracks, now I'm torn between the honda and yami. I'd get one with the alum. frame for a 07 and up WR and about the same CRFX. Sometimes I hear some valve stories about the honda but I have yet to hear a bad thing about the WR, so I guess I'm asking about some pros and cons of each. Ultimately it will come down to the cost and whatever is a good deal but I'd love to hear from some actual owners!

I'm mechanically inclined so I don't mind doing the mods on the WR to open it up a bit or fix things. My old bike was a '01 DRZ250 so I'm still trying to choose between a 250 and a 450. I just rode my buddies new '08 CRF450R and holy **** that thing is insane fast, will the CRF450X feel the same or is it a tad more mellow?

Let me know your opinions, thoughts, etc.

Thanks,

Travis

I spent hours (and $$$) trying to make my R like an X (flywheel weight, etc).

Then, I just did the right thing and bought an X. It is a tiny bit "mellower" but the wider gears (especially lower first), larger radiators, and softer suspension etc are better suited for the woods. I loved the bike and the guy I sold it to has had zero problems in 2 years.

X vs. WR. Love both bikes but I'd buy another X in a second if I went back to 4 strokes.

I've had zero issues with the 4 CRF 250X/R and 450R/X. Change the oil every 300 miles, don't let it overheat, lug down too long or ride the rev limiter all day. And clean the air filter. Having said that, I have some friends who maintain their bikes like I do and their valves went out ASAP.

The Yamaha is a great, bike, too. Not saying it's bombproof. If I had to choose either one, I'd get, um....as you said, it comes down to pricing and dealer service. A win-win for sure on either bike.

They are both good bikes. My wr is a tough tough bike. The valves haven't moved for a few thousand miles. I have really pounded on that thing and it still runs great. The wr's come choked up, but an hour of work and just some free mods will liberate a lot of power. Add a slip on pipe and then you're really cookin. My bike makes way more power than I will ever need.

Awesome guys, Thanks. I'm still trying to between the 450 and 250 also. I'm 6'3" 200lbs, and have ridden ATV's for damn near 20 years so I'm not totally new to the sport just on 2 wheels. I'll probably keep the bike a long time so I think I might get a tad bored with a 250, heck I'm sure.

Anymore likes and dislikes about these bikes?

from what i've heard they are both great bikes. i have a crf250x and have had no problems out of it. i keep the oil changed, air filter cleaned, and valves checked. i ride trails and track and it feels good both places. the older crf's did have some valve problems but i think they fixed that in 2006

I was in the same spot, the frugal side of me made the decision a little bit easier and I decided to go with the the better deal of the two. I happened to find a new 08 X within reasonable distance that was a good deal and went with that. If I would have found a WR I would have gone with that. I doubt you could be disappointed with either granted you treat them right. Coming off my 97 KLX300 either bike will be a screamer.

I found a '07 WR450 for a little over 3 grand. He said he babied it and it has less than 5 hrs on it. Supper clean with a lot of the cheap or free mods done to it. Sounds like a good deal huh? I may go check it out in the morning, it's about a 3hr drive from me. I know all the normal stuff to ask like mateniance, looking at the hr meter, check the skid plates for wear, etc. Anything else you can think of that I need to check

Thanks,

Travis