Significance of an 18" rear wheel?

18" tires typically have a taller sidewall that helps to reduce pinch flats on rocks and roots.

If I'm following what you're after on throttle cams, there are some aftermarket units like G2 that have cams that change how the throttle is engaged. For example, in slippery conditions on a powerful bike, a throttle cams can reduce how fast the bike reacts to you input.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235613

just wanna kno why an 18" rim is better than a 19" for woods.

**also, does anyone kno wat a throttle cam does?

18's are a little easier to change, and have more sidewall so are less prone to pinch flats, they ride a little smoother IMO to, but most riders will never notice that small a difference.

Throttle cams will change how quickly the throttle cable opens the slide. So you can change the amount of throttle control you need in certain conditions.

Only slightly and only on hard pack. Makes it slightly , every so slightly better on a hard pack MX track.

Dwight

Agree. If I hadn't ridden the same bike back to back with the 18 then the 19 I never would have known or noticed and even then I thought it was more mental then anything else:thumbsup:

all of my bikes up to this one had a 18" wheel on it, I left the 19" on my new one (times are tuff) and I notice nothing different all except for the price of tires is more for the 19's then the 18's, on a side note if anyone is selling a 18" rear for a 08 YZ450F I'd be interested, I'm going to need to mount the Trellaborgs this winter:thumbsup:

I think 18" wheels kick butt off-road. More side wall makes for a smoother ride, and having a wider footprint and lowe PSI gives better traction when things get nasty especially on roots and nasty hills. Better selection of tires too. Its one of the first things I would put on an off-road bike, if it didn't have one.

I think 18" wheels kick butt off-road. More side wall makes for a smoother ride, and having a wider footprint and lowe PSI gives better traction when things get nasty especially on roots and nasty hills. Better selection of tires too. Its one of the first things I would put on an off-road bike, if it didn't have one.

I agree!

P1000159.jpg

I think I have read in Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider Magazine that a 19" tire/wheel assembly is lighter than an 18" tire/wheel assembly and that is why they are used on motocross bikes where rim protection from the tall sidewall of an 18" tire is not required.

the wheel alone with all the same parts is probably lighter, only by a few ounces though. its the tire that makes it weigh so much more.

i love my 18" rim, i was really impressed at the difference it made on roots especially. my brother was so impressed with it that after one ride on my bike he bought one for his bike. if your riding rocky, rooty, NE woods its a big improvement.