Sign in to follow this  

08 RMZ 450 Gas smell in Oil

I got an 08 RMZ 450 w/09 from the dealer back in Jan. 09. After changing the oil during break-in as the manual called for and then changing every 4 hours, after 16 hours I noticed that there was a gas smell in the oil. When I contacted the service department they had no idea what I was talking about and said they had not heard of this on a fuel injected bike? Was wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this issue. Bike runs fine and I have started changing the oil every two hours and oil and oil filter every 4 and check the level after each ride? Any information or places to research would be appreciated.

I got an 08 RMZ 450 w/09 from the dealer back in Jan. 09. After changing the oil during break-in as the manual called for and then changing every 4 hours, after 16 hours I noticed that there was a gas smell in the oil. When I contacted the service department they had no idea what I was talking about and said they had not heard of this on a fuel injected bike? Was wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this issue. Bike runs fine and I have started changing the oil every two hours and oil and oil filter every 4 and check the level after each ride? Any information or places to research would be appreciated.

good luck on getting any help from a dealer...You have better odds in getting pancakes and waffles in a Mexican Restaurant...You realy don't need to change the oil that frequent, save your money. If it were me, I'd call some credible local bike shops...not dealers Start there...

What you might be smelling is carbon from blow by. If the oil a different color? It really doesn't make sense for a fuel injected bike. Crab can overflow while the bike sits dumping gas slowly into the intake, piston and around the rings. The injector isn't leaking fuel (normally closed).

God that's a good one man! Just think about the fuel circuit and where it could come into contact with intake and/or oiling. Injector obviously but they don't leak fuel. I guess it could be stuck open, but the bike wouldn't run good if the injector was sticking.

Does it have the stock map? If so, it is too rich everywhere. It could be from the that.

could also be reidualpressure buildup in the fi system makin the injecter drip when the engine is off it seeps past the rings and into the oil ....seems to be a problem with the 09 honda 450

Thank you for the replies, I will start working on some of these ideas and keep everyone posted as I get more information. To answer the questions, no the oil is not a different color and the mapping is stock. Thank you again everyone.

If there is even a little gas in your oil... like 5%... it will be VERY watery. It will have no viscosity. You can tell when your drain it right away.

Steve