Considering a 250EXC

There is an 05 KTM250 EXC for sale locally and I was wondering your thoughts on the bike. It has a WA plate, so I'd be riding it on the street if I was to get it. I was planning on getting a newer CR250R, but I found this bike. It seems to be in decent shape.

How are the motors on them compared to other 250 2T's? Good handling/suspension? Whats a reasonable price for one?

Here's the ad: http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/1241853533.html

Tell me what ya think.

How much offroad riding will you do? I own an 04 250 SX and love the power and the motors are pretty darn solid. Stay on top if the maintenance and you will be fine. I have own KX, YZ 2Ts and orange compares well. I regards to the price, it looks to be around $500 more that you would pay in Texas - not sure that helps you :-) Make sure the top end/compression is fresh. I would hate for you to have to spend $200 on a top end within a few months of the purchase.

Looks like a good bike and the price is pretty good for around here in the NW. Having plates would be a big plus for me because getting plates on a 2t is a pain these days. Bike looks like it's in good shape.

If you plan to ride on the street much I would consider a 4 stroke. I have both and even on gravel roads it's tough to ride a steady speed on the 2t as it wants you either on or off the gas which isn't so fun. The 450 you can just set the throttle & cruise.

The 2t is a way better trail bike of course.

Sounds like it would be good fit for what you want to do. Good luck with it. I wish I had some cool Washington State weather blow into Texas... it has been over 105 this week. Tracks are dust bowls right now :-)

I moved from a CR250 to a 2004 250EXC about a year ago - I couldn't be happier. For the type of riding I enjoy - mostly tight trails and logging roads the EXC is a pleasure to ride compared to the CR. I do miss the "hit" the CR had compared to the mild mannered EXC sometimes but not often. I plated my KTM for the street and its fine for the occasional ride to the store. My friend has a 2004 450EXC that I like but its heavier and a 4stroke of course. He has an extra gear that would be useful on the road.