Sign in to follow this  

06 WR250 - heading to Colorado!

I need some advice. I have a 2006 WR250 with maybe 50 hours on it. I got it as a fire sale last year when the local Husky dealer closed his doors. I love the bike. I have been going to Colorado (Taylor Park area fro about 4 years running with a large group of folks. We ride about 100 miles a day for 8 days. All high altitude stiff over 6500' and up to 12-13k. Last year was the first year that I took the Husky (I took an Yami WR450 before).

Here is the download on the Husky performance last year:

- Handled great, very light, perfect for the tight singletrack.

- No jetting issues until 10k - bogged down too easy above 10k

- Gearing was too high for some of the steeper hill climb that were technical.

- Needed a 6th gear on the faster sections.

Here is what I have done to better prepare the bike for this years trip.

- Replaced Mikuni with the Keihin PWK Airstriker 38mm. I have read the other threads and feel like I wil have the jetting taken care of

- I changed the stock 13/48 sprokects to 13/50. This will address the climbs better, at the expense of top speed.

- I had Drew Smith of WER revalve the forks and shock - what a difference!

- I installed a Steahly 9oz flywheel weight. I installed this in an effort to increase the engine grunt & inertia at low rpm's for the steep climbs. I have not ever run a flywheel weight on any of my bike's so I am not sure what to expect.

My questions are:

- Will the flywheel weight help or hurt the bogging issue on high altitude climbs?

- will the fww increase the propensity for bogging (the installation says it may increase the chance to bog in certain conditions.

- Has anyone else installed this on a WR250? If so how did it change the power / engine characteristics. It was very easy to install, so I planned on trying it for the first day or two at altitude and then removing it if I did not like it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and sharing your experiences.

Michael

Atlanta, GA :worthy:

mhoath1,

First find a 6 speed and plug it in, then you don't have to compromise on gearing. Many threads on the how to so do a search, pretty straight forward swap.

The flywheel weight mellows out the hit and helps limit stalling in really tight stuff. Helps a little in keeping the motor revving on steep climbs but will also limit the quickness of rev recovery when you screw up and back off. I think it is really a personal preference. Once I installed a Rekluse Pro, I took the fww off. It is so easy to take off or put back on that you should just try it and see which you prefer.

Walt

I have an 08 WR250 in CO. I frequently ride at 9000' to 12,000' and here's what I've learned. The flywheel weight definitly helps to tame the bike down and minimize stalling. I put a 12 tooth countersprocket on the bike and that also tends to help in the tight stuff, by I would doubt if my top speed is more than 55mph now. As far as jetting goes, I don't have it completely figured out. I'm still running the stock carb, so my jetting wouldn't help you much anyways. My bike also has a power now, which also seemed to help with bottom end grunt, I think it's a well spent $90. I have stock exhaust so I can't comment about the gnarly, but as soon as I smash my stocker I'm putting a gnarly on. Like Walt said, if you don't like the fww just take it off, I bet you'll end up leaving it on. Brad.

Hey Bradass80,

I'm head to Colo. next week to ride at the same elevations you mention and like you, I still have stock carb. What jetting are you running?

Hey Bradass80,

I'm head to Colo. next week to ride at the same elevations you mention and like you, I still have stock carb. What jetting are you running?

He's what jetting I've been using.

Pilot-20

Neddle-Middle Slot

Main-380

Air Screw-1.5 turns out

I was using Klotz Super Techniplate until recently when I switched to Valvoline for my premix, 50:1 for both. With the Klotz by bike spooged like crazy, although it ran really good. With the Valvoline my bike hardly spooges at all now and it runs just as well. Brad.