Is the CRF/X street legal?

Hey guys I'm from Ontario and was just wondering if you can make a CRF/X street legal, some dealers have told me that you can and some told me that you cant. I'm lookin to sell my crf250r and go to a 450x.

Mechanically you can make anything street legal, as long as it complies with local ordinances. Check with your car/motorcycle registration bureau.

I haven't done that yet but I've heard that they are trying to put a stop to it. Aparently theres something in the serial number that wont let it be registered:excuseme: There doing this because people were taking CRF 50's and making them street legal and people didn't like it i guess. I dont know this is just wat i was told by a dealer

I talked with the state patrol here in Washington about it, and the guy said as long as it doesn't say "For Off Road Use Only" anywhere on the frame then it can be made legal. But I'm sure it's different up there.

I haven't done that yet but I've heard that they are trying to put a stop to it. Aparently theres something in the serial number that wont let it be registered:excuseme: There doing this because people were taking CRF 50's and making them street legal and people didn't like it i guess. I dont know this is just wat i was told by a dealer

In the US they use the 8th digit of the VIN number to designate the motorcyles 'class' of operation: on road, off road, epa non compliant, etc. Several US states ignore the designation as long as the bike has all the safety equipment required for on-road use.

ok thanks guys..like i said i havent checked with the registration people yet because I dont have the bike. But I won't buy the bike without knowing it can be made street legal

CARFAX!

....:worthy: sorry, couldn't resist.

I know nothing about your area (knowing your not from Ontario, CA), but would say the dealer knows very little compared to who is Law Enforcement or what you would call your DMV or licensing party.

Have you asked in the "Canada" forum???

I can see where a CRF50 would be a problem. A bike this small can be more dangerous on the streets for multiple reasons. They should at least allow bikes 200 cc & up be street legal.

I can see where a CRF50 would be a problem. A bike this small can be more dangerous on the streets for multiple reasons. They should at least allow bikes 200 cc & up be street legal.

I agree. That funny. A CRF50. I saw a (platted) XR100 a couple of weeks a go. The guy riding it lane split at a red light. Then gunned it when the light turned green. The older lady he cut in front didn't like it and pulled up right on his ass. I thought she was going to run him over. He couldn't go any faster :worthy:. (lane splitting is legal in cali)