Sign in to follow this  

Well, I did it. Now what do I do?

I went ahead and bought a leftover 07 YZ250f from the dealer, new. I'm not use to these new 4 strokes, and the only 4 stroke I own is a TTR 125. Now, at hour many hours should I do stuff like adjust valves, new piston, etc?

Can anyone shed light on what I should be doing other than doing the airfilter, changing oil, etc?

Thanks

Clean airfilter after every ride.. Change oil every 3-5 hours.. New oil filter every 2-3 oil changes.. Check valves every 15-20 hours.. New top end maybe every 60 hours or so depending on how hard you ride it

I went ahead and bought a leftover 07 YZ250f from the dealer, new. I'm not use to these new 4 strokes, and the only 4 stroke I own is a TTR 125. Now, at hour many hours should I do stuff like adjust valves, new piston, etc?

Can anyone shed light on what I should be doing other than doing the airfilter, changing oil, etc?

Thanks

a 250 4t... ouch. shoulda got a 450 and learnt how to use the power, theyre better on top ends.

adjust valves every 20-40 hours, or when it gets hard to start. thats a sign that your intake valves have closed up a little on you... not good. shim 2 or 3 times then its time for a top end rebuild.

all you need to do is frequent a/f cleanings, and oil changes and youll be good to go. normal wear and tare fixing. and valve checking which can be a little tough. if it was a honda I could/would help, but I dont know my way around a DOHC triple intake valve engine like a yzf.

the top end on my crf 450r lasted around 200 hours. whoever said a new top end every 60 hours is crazy. I know two strokes that last longer than that!

I clean my airfilter every 5 hours riding time, or approx every 2 rides.

I change my oil every 3 hours, or every ride pretty much. I use DIESEL ENGINE OIL (OMG!!!!) in both sides (clutch and tranny) and it works JUST FINE. been doing it for years with not a single problem. its super cheap oil from walmart, supertech 15w40 premium diesel engine oil. I buy a 20L bucket for 46$... 2.30$ per liter and you cant complain, 3$ per oil change. just change it often (its cheap.. so thats easy) and your bike will be very happy.

OR

you can buy a oil that costs 10-30$ per liter and run it a bit longer... but worn out oil is worn out oil IMO. expensive or not its gonna be toast after 5 or so hours engine time.

and stay out of the rev limiter.. your valves will thank you.

if/when you decide to do a top end rebuild, I would recommend getting SS valves, im not too sure what yamaha uses for stock valves though.

you have yamaha...it will last a very long time unless your hard on your bike. i raced 2 seasons on my 06yz250f and the valves never moved an inch. they even had a recall for a problem with the valves

congrats on the purchase... yamaha makes a VERY reliable 250f

Thanks

dude! you're coming off a ttr...worry about finding more time to ride.

- Clean air filter after every ride? Hell no! Use filter skins and change it every 5-7 rides!

- Just keep an eye on the oil level and change it every 5 rides or so.

- Check valves every 15-20 hours? Why? Just wait util it becomes harder to start then just go ahead and adjust the valves. :worthy:

Clean airfilter after every ride.. Change oil every 3-5 hours.. New oil filter every 2-3 oil changes.. Check valves every 15-20 hours.. New top end maybe every 60 hours or so depending on how hard you ride it

Just ride it, change the oil every 3-5 hours, chagnle the filter every other oil change, and check the valves every 15-25 hours using your hour meter. Get bored from checking the valves and realize that they never move. Don't worry about valves on a YZF; they are basically indestrucible.

In 350-400 hours or so if the valves do need to be replaced, replace them with OEM TI valves, not stainless steel. SS valves are un needed on the YZFs (see comment about valve life, why mess with a good thing).

In 350-400 hours or so if the valves do need to be replaced, replace them with OEM TI valves, not stainless steel. SS valves are un needed on the YZFs (see comment about valve life, why mess with a good thing).

hmm thats interesting. I always thought that SS were by far better than any TI valve... if you ignore the 1% power loss :rollseyes:

im a honda guy.. wanting to switch to yamaha after hearing about their top ends everywhere. my buddy I rode with in the winter, we chewed through the snow a lot. he was BRUTAL on his yz 250f, redlining it like no tomorrow for 30-120 seconds at a time. never ever cleaned his air filter, or oil, and his bike lasted forever :worthy:

I treated my crf450 like it was a pros race bike with the oil and a/f cleanings and babying it. it still had top end problems :lol:

"other than doing the airfilter, changing oil, etc", just ride & enjoy your new bike.

When you feel like you want to do some mods, check out the YZ250 forum

I did the same switch as you. From 06 TTR 125 to a YZ250f. Besides the normal maintenance i do to it, thats pretty much the only stuff I do to it. I get pretty anal sumtimes and clean pretty much every crack and use tons of elbow grease on it

hmm thats interesting. I always thought that SS were by far better than any TI valve... if you ignore the 1% power loss :rollseyes:

What I had read about the SS valves is that they require stronger springs, which cost more. After that cost it seems to be a wash. And the oem ones are pretty good, seem to hold up well.

I will replace the valves on my 05 YZ250F IF I ever have to do them. With 100 horus and everything still in spec, it doesn't seem like I will but who knows.

dude! you're coming off a ttr...worry about finding more time to ride.

Check the sig. The only 4 stroke I own is a ttr 125, but I ride a yz125.

hehe, probably not the best word to use.

I was gonna say the same thing :worthy:

What I had read about the SS valves is that they require stronger springs, which cost more. After that cost it seems to be a wash. And the oem ones are pretty good, seem to hold up well.

I will replace the valves on my 05 YZ250F IF I ever have to do them. With 100 horus and everything still in spec, it doesn't seem like I will but who knows.

yes I knew they take stronger springs which require more money, not more than 200$ though, which is worth it if its gonna double the life of your valves.

hehe, probably not the best word to use.

hahaha

okay, never moved a thousandth of an inch

yzkid 85 what are you talking about??? you change the trans and eng oil after about 15 hrs and oil filter every other oil change. valves are every 30 hrs. and you dont need a new top end until you feel an extreme power loss.

yz kid where are you getting this?

yes I knew they take stronger springs which require more money, not more than 200$ though, which is worth it if its gonna double the life of your valves.

I cant speak for the 250's, but I can for the 450's. The stock OEM Ti valves, on a 450, will last about as long as a SS set. They tend to last about 400-500 hours before they need to be replaced. I have almost 250 hours on my bike, with the original shims in mine.

Also, the price is practically the same by the time you buy the valve springs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kibblewhite-Yam-YZ450F-Full-Head-Rebuild-Kit-SS-Valves_W0QQitemZ180369754126QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090617?IMSfp=TL090617189008r3922