Sign in to follow this  

Having Trouble Riding

I usually only ride this one sand track once a week. That's all I ever ride, and I'm satisfied with my riding there. However I'm up visiting my mom and the tracks up here are very hard pack. I just can't seem to go fast I always feel like I'm going to slip out and can't get traction therefore I'm not charging hard and basically putting around. Any advice for this?

Also, another thing is the jumps at these tracks. They are like freaking triangles. Most of them aren't very big, but if you case it you are in trouble. I just can't make myself go for it. Any help with this is appreciated too.

Thanks.

For turns on the hard pack that I ride most of the time, I really try to sit on the number plate. You probably dont do this as dramatically in the sand. but move it way out there. Play with your tire pressure also. I would think a little lower for the hardpack than the higher requirement of the sand.

As for the jumps, I have been at TT for a year or so know and I have definatley seen your name on the threads. You know its just going to be working it up on the small stuff and getting you confidence built for the new stuff. Slow and easy till it feels right.

• Like 1

Jumps config'd as you describe don't belong in tru MX... there needs to be at least some relief as opposed to high-centering on like a sighting lap. Nothing will eliminate all the danger, but SXish geometry on an MX track tells me someone needs to have the machine keys taken away.

• Like 1

I know I can do most of the jumps (except the uphill triples out of corners:lol:) it's just I'm wuss. I've been riding a year and am scared to hit a 20ft double:banghead:

just watch some guys hit them you can listen to how hard they are going at it by how the motor sounds or if ur really unsure ask them what gear and how throttle their giving it or even pace them off it most people are willing to help

• Like 1

I actually started on the hardest one for some reason. 180 bermed out right hand'r with about 6 inches of run up to a 10ft double. But even now when I nail that jump its such a rush. It has taught me alot about riding. At first I would kinda lug over it so as not to loop out be accident or anything, but now I have accidentally gone over it full blast in first gear.(just down shifted by accident) It was to late to try and upshift had to do or die.

Try to lug over an easy one where you can hop on and off the track. just practice that one with more and more throttle. As you get used to it the confidence should increase and you should be able to work on the next one after that.

Breeze, just grab a gob of clutch and throttle on the face, prejump, and overjump it a bit for a time or two, then cut back on the throttle until you are landing on the downslope. A jump that small should not hurt if you overjump and land on the throttle. I flat landed @ around 120' last month during a spodely moment :worthy:, so I am sure you will be ok on those jumps. It did put a hole in my left boot, so kids, please don't be like guitarnut...stay away from the big jumps when it's windy. :lol:

• Like 1

Is there anything to do to your bike to set it up for hardpack or is there really a difference?

And thanks for the replies everyone.

Is there anything to do to your bike to set it up for hardpack or is there really a difference?

And thanks for the replies everyone.

does your front end feel like it's washing out to the outside or is it falling to the inside??

also what's your sag and fork height in the tripple clamps

Well I had only like 5mm of free sag and 5mm height in the tubes and it worked great in the sand. But it was entirely too stiff for the hardpack bumps. So I just loosened it to about 35mm of free sag and same fork tube height and softened the fork compression by two clicks which is back to stock. (Springs too soft by the way.)

When I tried going fast it felt like the back would slide out and I didn't have confidence in the front end like it would wash to the outside. But that was only one ride. I'm sure I need to ride some more before I can tell you more specifically and more definitely.

try stiffening the rebound on the forks a little and if that doesn't help experiment with raising the forks in the clamps

also try not to coast in the turns at all. I know its hard cause I do it too but the less you do the better it is. when you coast it lets the forks rebound all or most of the way

also do you know what your race sag is?

Also I know how you feel about the jumps/landing, the thing that discourages me most from going for a jump is the landing. The landings that are as tall as the jump with a steep backside scare the crap out of me and usually I don't go for it. To get myself to do some though I just think of it like a tabletop because both have landings the same height as the take off, but the backside is still intimidating!

try stiffening the rebound on the forks a little and if that doesn't help experiment with raising the forks in the clamps

also try not to coast in the turns at all. I know its hard cause I do it too but the less you do the better it is. when you coast it lets the forks rebound all or most of the way

also do you know what your race sag is?

Okay thanks. But as of right now (since I changed it this afternoon) the bike rides low in the back, soft springs and about 35mm of free sag, and I put the front compression back to stock. But you're saying I should stiffen the forks rebound a couple of clicks? I'll try it out. Is that it as far as settings?

And no, not sure about the race sag but I'm sure it's wayyyyy too much.

Jumps config'd as you describe don't belong in tru MX... there needs to be at least some relief as opposed to high-centering on like a sighting lap. Nothing will eliminate all the danger, but SXish geometry on an MX track tells me someone needs to have the machine keys taken away.

Sooooooo true. We've got a private club track here in my town and they claim its "family oriented" but the jumps are like this: ^

Okay thanks. But as of right now (since I changed it this afternoon) the bike rides low in the back, soft springs and about 35mm of free sag, and I put the front compression back to stock. But you're saying I should stiffen the forks rebound a couple of clicks? I'll try it out. Is that it as far as settings?

And no, not sure about the race sag but I'm sure it's wayyyyy too much.

ya stiffen the rebound, this will make the forks not extend as fast or as far during the turn and I guess prevents it from rebounding while your turning causing the front end to get pushed outside and wash out. Just make sure it's not falling to the inside or turning quiker than you are wanting it too, if it is doing this decrease the rebound dampening (fork rebounds quiker). I was dealing with the same type of problems as you and have made it work pretty well. If just stiffening the rebound doesn't help try experimenting with the height of your forks in the clamps and rear sag. Raising the forks in the clamps and decreasing sag with both put more weight on your front wheel and = more traction but you don't want it too be unstable on the straights. By increasing the rear sag by a large amount you may have taken too much weight off the front wheel and it won't have much traction. :worthy::lol:

Sooooooo true. We've got a private club track here in my town and they claim its "family oriented" but the jumps are like this: ^

I'm going to Pala Raceway on vacation next week and hope there aren't many jumps like that cause I know I will probably chicken out.I would rather jump a 65 ft table than a 30 ft double with a landing like that. :worthy::lol:

I'm going to Pala Raceway on vacation next week and hope there aren't many jumps like that cause I know I will probably chicken out.I would rather jump a 65 ft table than a 30 ft double with a landing like that. :worthy::lol:

you don't have to worry about any of the jumps at pala being like that. Even on the main track.

you don't have to worry about any of the jumps at pala being like that. Even on the main track.

thank god, I didn't want to go there and not do most of jumps.:worthy:

what about the step up? is it hard, and what gear to clear it on a 250F?

When I first posted this that day I rolled everything at the track and I was obviously pissed that I wimped out that entire day.

Well instead of buying a new top clamp for my bike we decided to spend that money on going riding. We went to the same track that I wimped out on.

Well the day started pretty good. I jumped a jump here or two, just a couple of the safer ones. But pretty soon I just got in the groove. I was riding hard and I just went for everything on the track.

I realized that if you commit the worse that will happen is your back wheel might catch. Obviously this does not go for Larocco's Leap or anything but for the majority of the jumps I think this holds true.

I found the best approach for working up to a jump is first try hauling out of the corner, or down the straight, as fast as you can just to get a feel for the speed you can get and from that figure out how many gears you can get to before the jump.

For flat, level jumps I think it's best if right before the jump you click up a gear and have it low revving on the face. But if it's a setup, uphill jump, or just a very hard one, I think it's better to rev high (but you have to be accelerating.)

And like I said within reason, if you commit the worse that is likely to happen is you'll catch your back wheel. Which don't get me wrong you can still bounce and swap out and stuff. But it's not like you are going to brake your leg landing on the face of the landing.