is this too much bike for me ?

im currently looking at a ktm 520 exc 02, i weight bout 140lbs wet and 5,9' tall, had 125 2st, 250 4st cross, dr350 and xr400 some times ago, havent rode in like 5 years tho...

here its mostly single tracks, quad trails and fire roads.

i did search the boards but no one seems skinny as i am and im wondering if the big 510cc engine would be too much to handle for my poor physical condition...i also had a look at some 300, and many 200 (i find the 200 very tempting weight/maintenance wise), the only reason im considering the 520 is beacause i can get a sick deal out of one, but if its too tiring i might as well look for a better option.

anyone skinny might chip in with their tought:thumbsup:

The 520 is a sweetheart of a motor, good flywheelish feel but it can/will work a smaller rider in uber tight trails. My brother is your size & he hated mine, my son at 13 was that big & he loved it. Go figure. It isn't a 500cc 2t like the old days, don't fear it. If you hate it you sell it???

none of the bikes you listed you've ridden come close to the power.

a YZ250f puts out 33hp stock. give or take a pony on different dyno's. but the 520 puts out 46hp, and the torque is an even bigger gap because its a lower rpm motor.

it will feel like a beast. but I love my 450. I love to pin it, and wheelie it to 80mph. if you want an adrenaline rush. get a big bore bike. you'll love it. I wish I weighed that little, so I could get a little more accel from my fo fitty

oh, a XR600R puts out about the same peak hp, and same acceleration as a YZ250F.

im currently looking at a ktm 520 exc 02, i weight bout 140lbs wet and 5,9' tall, had 125 2st, 250 4st cross, dr350 and xr400 some times ago, havent rode in like 5 years tho...

here its mostly single tracks, quad trails and fire roads.

i did search the boards but no one seems skinny as i am and im wondering if the big 510cc engine would be too much to handle for my poor physical condition...i also had a look at some 300, and many 200 (i find the 200 very tempting weight/maintenance wise), the only reason im considering the 520 is beacause i can get a sick deal out of one, but if its too tiring i might as well look for a better option. anyone skinny might chip in with their tought:thumbsup:

It's not really about the weight that matters, but the length of your legs. At 5'9", I think you'll be a Pro/liking that bike in about 1 week.

GO for it, you won't regret it !!

edit: BTW, I am only 5'7"

I think your inseem matters more than overall height... my buddy was 4 inches shorter than me and has the same inseem... our bicycle frames were the same size.

the next thing that matters is how nimble the bike rides. this bike isn't the most nimble, but nothing you can't get used to. you might have more fun on a newer 250 if you can afford it.

the power is nice (faster than my 08 530), and you'll get used to that too.

worst case you ride it for 6 months and sell it.

My youngest brother is smaller than you and he rides a 91 KTM 600 like a bat out of hell. Just be respectfull of the right grip. I only goes as fast as you twist it. You can always set the bike up to your liking, like handlebars and such. As long as you can hold on who cares if you look like a rag doll in the wind right, because all your buddies will be seeing is your rear end. :worthy:

If you want to go all day and not be worn out go the 250 but I think you would love a 200. At your size to muscle around a bike that big is crazy. Now if you are going to putt around, never crash and stay off the throttle you might consider it but if an occasional balls to the walls throttle open is for you and you want to tear it up it will be a lot less tiring and more fun on the 200 or 250.

good, levy you got me there. but i wont have any other 4st under 400cc, too much wear and tear on the engine too fast, i must admit im almost 3 months into a damn suzuki 250f and i havent been able to ride it for real one, so i dont trust those littles motors reliability wise, i really like their power output/weight ratio but maintenance is just killing me and my small wallet, so since i really like the qualities of the 200(smaller, and jeckill/hyde dual personalities, very easy and cheap maintenance) might as well get one of thoses, currently got 4 choices, a 2002, 2004 and 2 2005, they are all clean and very well maintained, almost unridden:banana:

but there is also an ultra clean 300 very close to where i am, i heard they almost got the torque of a 4st and are less crazy than the 250 that i tried but its about 4200$ can, and the 200 are 2200 to 3800 following years, right now, i eliminated the big 520 cuz i dont think i could hold to it for a long day, let alone getting out of bad situations(brute force for a guy of 140 lbs is not much)

your tought between there 200 and a 300 ?