1998 RM250 favorite parts?

My '98's crank is knocking like a mother, and it's time for a crank rebuild.

I want to get a new rod kit or full new crank. Anyone bought a Hot Rods rod kit? Any whole cranks?

Also, what kind of bearings do you guys find last best under race pace riding?

thanks all!

Whole crank?

I'm thinking Hot Rods rod, anyone had an issue with them?

Primary plan is Hot Rods rod, Wiseco piston, ceramic main bearings, Cometic gaskets and possibly a Wiseco basket and plates.

I have big plans for this bike...

Slightly o/t, I blew a seal in my Ohlins forks, and now have to go back to my Showas. I've gotta say, even with the Showas being built by P/C, I liked the gold better.

I checked the Wiseco website, and they didn't show any complete cranks for the 98.

I'm not really interested in a quick turnaround anyways, I'm looking for the best parts. Since I'm betting the stock piston has a different weight than a forged one, I'm going to have the whole assembly balanced.

I believe you are faced with the same problem I am with my 99. I don't think that anyone makes a complete crank kit for our bikes. Also, I have heard many people say that they received their Wiseco or Hot Rods crank kits and found that they are not trued. I would get the kit and have someone do the rebuild on it. That way they will guarentee that it has been trued. I am sending mine out soon to the racers toy store.

$39 labor

$77.80 hot rods rebuild kit

check em out and good luck. let us know what you decide to do. :worthy:

http://www.racerstoystore.com/200-200301.html

That's a good price on the kit, but shipping would kill me.

I can drop my parts off at my favorite shop (Mongoose Machining) when the parts come in, and pick it up maybe three days later, trued, balanced and almost all new!

I admire your courage for buying a bike in boxes, I made that choice with a 1980 RM125. It was a good/bad choice for me, but hopefully it works for you!

That's a good price on the kit, but shipping would kill me.

I can drop my parts off at my favorite shop (Mongoose Machining) when the parts come in, and pick it up maybe three days later, trued, balanced and almost all new!

I admire your courage for buying a bike in boxes, I made that choice with a 1980 RM125. It was a good/bad choice for me, but hopefully it works for you!

If you have someone local that's great. That will save a lot in shipping. :worthy:

I'm starting to debate on wether or not I want to continue this project. I just found that it is missing the stator, and the inner clutch cover. I am afraid that it may be far to expensive in the long run.

the only reason i'm still torn is because at least this way I would know that EVERYTHING has been replaced...I don't know, i guess i'll have to keep thinking about it.?

Steahly makes a great alternative to the stock stator. I'm seriously considering buying one just to make my bike seem more like a woods bike.

Fleabay's a good place for parts like the inner clutch cover, I found my Noleen pipe and a lot of other very good new (or in very good shape) parts on there relatively cheap! (Best one so far: COMPLETE save mag RS250 bottom end for my 81 PE250, paid $1.23 cnd + $43 s&h. All I added was my crank and bearings, and pop my 15h top end on!)

Even if you end up spending $1500 on the bike, that's par for the course. I'm $2200 into my 1984 Husqvarna XC500 and it's barely done! I'm gonna tear it back down and convert it to ceramic bearings in October I think.

How much did you pay for your Boxes 'O Fun?

I only paid $50 for the whole thing so i rally can't complain too much. I can't ride where I live (anywhere). I have to take it to the local track (I'm not complaining) if I want to ride. So during the week I actually enjoy having something to work on. :worthy: