Sign in to follow this  

tm or ktm?????

i am looking to buy a new 2 smoke 300, but witch one should i get?????

i will be riding mostly single track and some 2 track trails here in the north west.

I am 6ft 200lbs

cost is not a deciding factor.

Id rather have a tm but there so rare and I think there is only one dealer in the united states. so ktm would probably be your best bet

i love how no one seems to want to answer the origonal question.

to put it simply, the TM's best fetures are it's handling and suspention, near on the best you will find, the engine is quite agressive and very powerful and in my opinion they are some of the best looking stock bikes out, however the down sides are they're expensive, they're a lot less reliable then a KTM 300, a lot harder to find parts for, and the engine is no where near as tuneable as the KTM's.

the KTM's best fetures are it's rideability, everything is where you expect, the engine is very smooth and liniar, the suspention supple and the handling very nuetral (won't turn as well as the TM, and not as stable as say a KX-F, but a good compromise), KTM has E start and then engine can be tuned very easily to what you want with the suplied power valve springs and ignition map, it's downsides are mostly that it's not quite as sharp a tool as the TM in cornering and suspention, the KTM also has the larger fuel tank and lower curb weight.

it's up to you to decide what you want from a bike, i looked at what i wanted from my bike, and what i wanted to do with it and ended up with an 09 KTM 300, 160 hours without any trouble so far.

Well I answered him; KTM or Husky. I like the Husky line myself and in the NW there is very good dealer/rider support. They are very easy to maintain and from what I have gathered very reliable. They do very well in test against other makes, at or near the very top. Not to mention IMO the best looking bikes out there. They come with excellent aftermarket brakes, clutch, and other parts as do the KTM's for less money across the board.

Well I answered him; KTM or Husky. I like the Husky line myself and in the NW there is very good dealer/rider support. They are very easy to maintain and from what I have gathered very reliable. They do very well in test against other makes, at or near the very top. Not to mention IMO the best looking bikes out there. They come with excellent aftermarket brakes, clutch, and other parts as do the KTM's for less money across the board.

but was husky mentioned in the op's post?

NO but I thought I would give him another option. I didn't know we couldn't give an opinion outside the TM KTM box. What can I say sometimes I may be to helpfull.

thank you very much for all the info. after looking over the two bike i ask about i am oing with the ktm.

thanks again