Sign in to follow this  

im from pa, some questions about silver lake

hi im from pennsylvania and am going to silver lake dunes over the 4th of july weekend and i had a few questions. i have never ridden here before, do i need a paddle tire??, is a 96d quiet insert with arrestor going to be good enough on my crf450r?? how crowded will it be??, and is it fun to ride there??

you don't need a paddle, but it would be alot better.

yes the 96 db insert and spark arrestor should be enough.

on the 4th, it will be very crowded.

when i took my bike there, i was bored after an hour, but i prefer tight single track to anything open.

what part of PA ?

I lived right outside of Hershey (Hummelstown to be exact) from 1990 > 1993.

I found myself living there a second time from July 04 to July 06 near Harrisburg.

I miss the Lebanon Bologna (pronounced Leb-nen), Goya Jamaican Ginger Beer (non alcoholic like Ginger Ale) and Turkey Hill Party Cake Ice Creme. I cannot find ANY of these here in Minnesota.

thanks for the info tjc

kevin, im living in philly suburbs right now but originally from western pa, near punxatawney

hi im from pennsylvania and am going to silver lake dunes over the 4th of july weekend and i had a few questions. i have never ridden here before, do i need a paddle tire??, is a 96d quiet insert with arrestor going to be good enough on my crf450r?? how crowded will it be??, and is it fun to ride there??

I think it helped to have a paddle tire and it always amazed me how well a motorcycle moved in that deep of sand, until I tried turning. Be careful if you ride there that weekend, I almost sure you will see someone or a couple people be medevaced out of dunes. Just keep a eye out for the people that rent dune buggies and go the wrong way on the dunes ( if they still rent them there, it's been a couple of years since being there). The beach front is awesome and there is plenty of areas to ride around there away from the main dunes.

Yes a paddle tire is reccomended. I have a 450 and prefer the paddle, if your riding a trail bike tho it will need a paddle. even the 250's of all varieties are sketchy to ride without a paddle. ive ridden there on a knobby and paddle and the paddle is easier to get it moving. a 96db will work just fine, mine is easily <100 and i get it in in the back of my truck and just unload once im in there, i think the sound limit is 98. it will be major crowded, i went there last year around that time and there are ALOT of stupid redneck quadtards that go the wrong way. make sure youre either going slow enuff over the hills that if you hit em it wont hurt, or fast enough that you jump clear over them as i have done in the past. Silver lake is my favorite place to ride hands down so theres no more to say about that. if you have any more q's just ask cause i could prolly anser em.

thanks everyone for the info, i just got home. the trip was amazing i had a blast.