Sign in to follow this  

Tire balancing?

How do I balance my wheels? I just put a new chain and sprockets on my 1981 KL 250 and noticed with the rear wheel in the air and no chain on the bike the rear tire kept turning and stopping with the valve stem down, very time I would spin the wheel it would do this always stopping in the same position leading me to believe it was heavier on the side of the rim/tire.

Tire balancing is not an issue for off road use. It would be nice, but all the extra weight needed to counter act the rim lock etc. is a little excessive.

Some guys have done it in the past, but generally, no one does. We aren't riding at high enough speeds that it is necessary.\

Doing a static balance on the bike would work ok. Other than haveing the chain off, make sure the brake pads are'nt touching rotor/drum, and just add weight to the oposite side of where it stops until it does'nt stop in the same place every time.

Even at 50mph a unbalanced wheel is noticable on pavement. I say it could'nt hurt for dirt use, but if you're hitting rocks, ruts, and generally anything hard at speed I don't think it would stay balanced long. If you ride a good deal of pavement, balancing will help the tires last longer.

I keep telling myself I'm gonna balance the next set of tires, but I have'nt yet after forgotten number of sets.:worthy:

I put a few lead fishing sinkers on the light side to improve the static balance of my MX wheels. (I cut a slot in them and crimp them on the spoke, just above the nipple)

I've had my tires professionally balanced and the damn weights came off!

If you're only riding in the dirt, you're not going to notice.

However, I've had this bike up to 80+ mph on pavement, you'll notice then.

Doing a static balance on the bike would work ok. Other than haveing the chain off, make sure the brake pads are'nt touching rotor/drum, and just add weight to the oposite side of where it stops until it does'nt stop in the same place every time.

Even at 50mph a unbalanced wheel is noticable on pavement. I say it could'nt hurt for dirt use, but if you're hitting rocks, ruts, and generally anything hard at speed I don't think it would stay balanced long. If you ride a good deal of pavement, balancing will help the tires last longer.

I keep telling myself I'm gonna balance the next set of tires, but I have'nt yet after forgotten number of sets.:worthy:

Yes static balance does work and they make spoke weights but you can also do it with some solder wrapped around the spoke nipple. Go ahead and try it it will make a difference.

My prior auto mechanic still used a static wheel balancer (bubble level on a pivot) for auto tires.

If it works well enough for a 50lb car wheel, it should work well enough for a 15lb motorcycle tire.

Yes static balance does work and they make spoke weights but you can also do it with some solder wrapped around the spoke nipple. Go ahead and try it it will make a difference.

Used this metheod at the bike shop many times and with a little trial and error it works great. :worthy::lol:

I just tried "Dyna Beads" on my commuter 900 front tire. It would wobble at some speeds and the Dyna Beads fixed the issue. $3 to do one tire. They have been discussed for a while on the diesel fourms. They have a big following.

"...Dynamic Balancing Solution, a high-density ceramic bead that, when easily installed, continuously balances your tires as you drive. The amount of material will distribute itself in weight and position dependent on the balance requirements of the individual tire. The result is a smooth, vibration-free ride, derived from our balancing media that is always repositioning itself as the tire wears...."