Sign in to follow this  

SO...I broek two bolts off my rear axle adjusters. now questions

Background.

I have 1996 KX250. I was riding in Hollister.

So I broke the axle block adjuster bolt twice on the left side. The head snapped off the first one, The second bent. Both times sending my rear tire into the swing arm(crooked of course) bending or breaking teeth off of the sprokets and I will probibly need a new chain guide. The damaged bolts also damaged the axle adjuster block on that side.

First question. Does anyone make any aftermarket axle blocks for a bike this old?

2nd. Would landing under power be casuing my bolt problems? Or could it have just been a fluke? An old fatigued bolt being replaced by a sub par afternarket one (I got at the park store) holding what was probibly an already damaged block.

3rd. I now need new rear wheel bearings. OEM or aftermarket?

Sounds like the axle wasn't tight enough, or something loose in the hub (bearings, missing inner hub spacer) causing all the pressure on the adjuster.

There's no reason it should be failing like that under normal circumstances. Check an online microfiche to make sure all your parts are there.

Make sure you use the correct bolts (OEM or aftermarket) for the chain adjusters, they are hardened. Also, use antiseize compound on the bolts and they will never fail again. Good luck

Sounds like the axle wasn't tight enough, or something loose in the hub (bearings, missing inner hub spacer) causing all the pressure on the adjuster.

There's no reason it should be failing like that under normal circumstances. Check an online microfiche to make sure all your parts are there.

I completely agree, the adjuster bolts don't need to be particularly strong, the only pressure exerted against them is straight down the length of the bolt. There should be no side forces on those bolts at all if the axle is tight and properly aligned.

The first failure was likely due to the bolt seizing in the swingarm, easily cured by anti-seize applied to the bolt threads at regular intervals. The second failure (bending) has to be from an alignment issue.

The first bolt broke at the head. The threaded shank was still there, just the head that puts pressure on the axle block was gone. I think when this happened it put a nice gouge in the block when the axle slid.

I think the second one failed due to it being the made in bangladesh, metric equivalent of grade 2 trying to push on a damaged axle block.. oh well.

think I'll try some OEM bolts next, and some wheel bearings, and a new axle block and some sprokets and a chain.....

The first bolt broke at the head. The threaded shank was still there, just the head that puts pressure on the axle block was gone. I think when this happened it put a nice gouge in the block when the axle slid.

I think the second one failed due to it being the made in bangladesh, metric equivalent of grade 2 trying to push on a damaged axle block.. oh well.

think I'll try some OEM bolts next, and some wheel bearings, and a new axle block and some sprokets and a chain.....

horray for someone fixing something correctly, i appluad you:applause: :worthy::banana: that should all take care of it and then some, make sure the axle blocks are up against the adjuster bolts firmly when you tighten the axle, and torque it to spec.

also, check the basics, like your chain being too tight. Check rocky mountain mc.com. Tusk makes all kinds of little parts like that and they are usually cheap as hell. I bought some tusk axle blocks for my 05 and they were like 29 bucks. Ive heard of some of the blocks only costing like 9 bucks for some bikes!