Summer Overhaul

So through July it's going to be the hottest time of the year here, which makes riding absolutely horrible. I have been riding my bike (2006 yz250f) hard for about a year now, and overall about 1.5-2 years. I've never done any major maintenance to it (tires, chain, oil, filter...basics) and it's run strong. But I'm thinking it's time to do a check-up and do a run-through of everything since it's not really worth riding at the moment anyway.

I'm debating painting my frame while in the process. It does have the alum frame, so I had an idea to go with on the frame a white background with a tribal design (I know a few people who are just good at making designs...) in black over the top. Just the frame for that part. Then plastics, I will either buy new ones (broken radiator shroud, messed up fenders, etc) or replace what I must. Then sand down existing plastics, primer, paint, etc with same idea of what I plan on doing with the frame with a little more to it. So a lot of this is for looks, mainly because I plan on taking the motor out anyways and will have the frame sitting there and just kind of advanced from there. If I'm doign all this, it might as well look good right?

I've talked with some people about how to go about painting the alum frame, and will likely make sure to talk to some guys I know who paint cars and such for a living for advice on how to best make it stick, including on the plastics.

Will I be doing all this work then have the paint worn off and looking bad in 1-2 months, or is it possible to get it to stick well enough that it's worth the time, money, and effort?

The other thing would be... if I'm doing this what are some things to check as far as motor and bike goes...

Valves (probably going to put titanium or SS)

top end (replacement likely)

clutch inspection (replacement necessary?)

Suspension revalved/resealed/readjusted

new brake pads + new dot4

cam chain seems popular thing to do

What am I missing? Is it worth cracking open the case to look at the bottom end? By the way, I plan on getting a clymers manual to assist the service manual that came with the bike--not paying a shop a bazillion dollars to do it for me. I have noticed that it's getting harder to shift, hoping it doesn't mean bottom end is messed up or anything (ugh).

Like I said, wanting to tear it apart and make sure it's going to last me another few years and do some fun aesthetic additions while I put it back together! So suggestions welcome

PS: Plan on documenting it when/if I do it not only to show up my hard work, but so when I screw up I can go back and look at big pics on laptop and realize what I effed up!

PSS: Why can't I find the clymer manual for 06???? All I've found anywhere is 01-03 yz250f and wr250 manuals! will these work fine?

Too hot to ride? What kind of rider are you? lol

tyres must have been meltin lol

Don't paint the frame, it wont last more than 2 rides. If you want to add color to it, you need to Powder Coat it, or anodize it.

It's probably time for bearings all around, especially the head set and linkage if you don't grease them monthly.

Unless you have had to shim your valves more than twice, don't worry about replacing the valves, rather just replace the valve seals, springs and hardware.

Definately a good time for new piston, rings and a timing chain. As for the bottom end check the play in the crank that is laid out in the manual, also check the timing chain sprocket on the crank, it wears out fast if the timing chain isn't replaced often ( should be about every 50 hours or every season if you ride hard), if it's worn then you need a new crank. New clutch plates and fibers is a good idea. Also check the clutch basket for notching. You will want to replace the clutch springs while your in there.

If the shifting has been getting harder, then cracking the cases would be a good idea to inspect everything.

Too hot to ride? What kind of rider are you? lol
tyres must have been meltin lol

No, I was meltin! Today by 10 it was about 95 and by 12 its 101 and this is cool for past little heat wave we've had.

Don't paint the frame, it wont last more than 2 rides. If you want to add color to it, you need to Powder Coat it, or anodize it.

It's probably time for bearings all around, especially the head set and linkage if you don't grease them monthly.

Unless you have had to shim your valves more than twice, don't worry about replacing the valves, rather just replace the valve seals, springs and hardware.

Definately a good time for new piston, rings and a timing chain. As for the bottom end check the play in the crank that is laid out in the manual, also check the timing chain sprocket on the crank, it wears out fast if the timing chain isn't replaced often ( should be about every 50 hours or every season if you ride hard), if it's worn then you need a new crank. New clutch plates and fibers is a good idea. Also check the clutch basket for notching. You will want to replace the clutch springs while your in there.

If the shifting has been getting harder, then cracking the cases would be a good idea to inspect everything.

Thanks for the advice! I don't think I'll have frame powdercoated since it still looks fine, buuuut I'll be able to get a better look at it when I bust it down to frame only. I was going to PC like the visible outside parts of engine just to get it back to lookin nice though.

Thanks again

in austin texas it is 105-109 + hummidity

Don't spend money on bling.

Spend money on a top end, clutch, bearings, tires, suspension, drivetrain, jets/reeds/filter, etc.

There's always something performance-based you can buy.

Its never too hot to ride i ride all the time when its 105+

it gets to 105 in michigan

hah it was only like 65 here today :worthy:

Do a clutch, maybe a clutch basket, and all the other things you mentioned, and replace all your seals

it gets to 105 in michigan

yeah in the middle of summer it will get way hot!

Don't spend money on bling.

Spend money on a top end, clutch, bearings, tires, suspension, drivetrain, jets/reeds/filter, etc.

There's always something performance-based you can buy.

its always nice to have a good lookin ride but all show and no go? i would get all mechanics in top order then worry about bling

Don't move to Vegas. You will only get to ride for 1 month out of the year!

its always nice to have a good lookin ride but all show and no go? i would get all mechanics in top order then worry about bling

thats what he said tard!!!!!

i am forced to rebuild my motor, in SD july is the WORST time to decide to rebuild a bike, nice weather usually all month, december,jan,feb,march=good times.

rock to the ign cover means no oil and no oil means fried motor :worthy: