Sign in to follow this  

Bike wont start?

ok i have a 04 yz250f. to begin with the hot start cable broke so in between the ordering i rode it just pluging the hole up. we went to ride the one day and it wouldnt start..shutting the gas off and tipping it over letting all fuel run out then starting worked? time after wanting to ride wouldnt start again still no hot start cable in tried the running fuel out still nothing. now this bike has never had the valves adjusted but still has very very low hours hard to believe. any thaughts guys?

:worthy:

ok i have a 04 yz250f. to begin with the hot start cable broke so in between the ordering i rode it just pluging the hole up. we went to ride the one day and it wouldnt start..shutting the gas off and tipping it over letting all fuel run out then starting worked? time after wanting to ride wouldnt start again still no hot start cable in tried the running fuel out still nothing. now this bike has never had the valves adjusted but still has very very low hours hard to believe. any thaughts guys?

you still need to check them it wont take but 20-30 minutes max i can check mine in 15 minutes.. .10mm-.15mm on Intake valves and .17mm-.22mm on Exhaust valves

Do your valve clearances every year at least, if not more often. It's easy and will save you in the end. Hopefully you'll get your hotstart replaced and that will fix your starting problem. Assuming there were no starting problems prior.

i never did my valves because i am worried about messing it up is there a easy quick description of this process so the thumper will still thump? i thank you guys for the help!

There is a video on the YZ250F on Hotcams website on how to do valve clearances. They sell a shim kit, so they describe how to do it. The video worked for me and was easy to do on your own.