Sign in to follow this  

RIP my RMA $16.75 sprocket w/pic!

Well, my RMA sprocket is toast. It held up fairly well, then last weekend started to wear very fast. During Saturday practice it deteriorated very fast and 2 teeth even broke off. This lasted 31 hours of MX. I assume the DID chain should be replaced as well. Will probably try good old Renthals again and see how they hold up. This is from my CRF450R.

2009-06-28175345.jpg

• Like 2

Well, my RMA sprocket is toast. It held up fairly well, then last weekend started to wear very fast. During Saturday practice it deteriorated very fast and 2 teeth even broke off. This lasted 31 hours of MX. I assume the DID chain should be replaced as well. Will probably try good old Renthals again and see how they hold up. This is from my CRF450R.

2009-06-28175345.jpg

I bought the same sprocket. I haven't had many rides on it yet but I'm hoping it holds up. 31 hours of mx doesn't sound too bad. What do you normally get out of a sprocket?

I bought the same sprocket. I haven't had many rides on it yet but I'm hoping it holds up. 31 hours of mx doesn't sound too bad. What do you normally get out of a sprocket?

I'm relatively new to MX. Last year I did only practice, and I had Renthals sprockets and an X-ring chain on my 2 stroke. That combo is still in great shape; I know it has way more than 31 hours on it, but no meter on that bike. Most racers say they get a new chain/sprockets every year, but I practice and race every Sat/Sun and these guys only do like 10-15 races per season.

Wow! That's bad. I was looking to buy a $19 steel sprocket for my XR250R and then saw those RMA aluminum ones for $17. I'd like to try aluminimum, but I don't want to spend $70+ on an aluminum sprocket for my bike. I was just about to order one of those RMA one's today or tomorrow, but those photos are giving me second thoughts.

My XR250R is much, much tamer than your 450R, and has much less power. Plus I ride trails very unagressively compared to your MX racing..... So perhaps those RMA sprockets would still be okay for me.

Lol your XR won't touch a AL sprocket compared to a 450. You will be fine. Riding half woods half track for almost 20 hours now my RMA AL sprocket is showing slight wear. Myself being a Begginer moving on to Intermedite rider on a CRF450r. Chain is cleaed, then wd-40 after every ride. 5 min parking lot ride to warm it up then chain lube/wax. With a 10min cool down before riding, to let it set.

Yeah I have what looks like that exact sprocket in my garage, waiting for a new chain and front sprocket before I install. 31 hours is pretty crappy for a rear sprocket but then again $17 bucks is nothing. Hoping mine won't go as fast, it'll be on a 2-stroke 250R.

Actually, I would've thought that 31 hours of wringing out a 450 in MX conditions is pretty good. :worthy: N Edge

I bought 3 of em......Haven't put one on yet but I guess we'll see how long it lasts

• Like 1

For like 3 dollars more at Rocky Mountin you can get a primary drive steel rear srpocket that will last much longer then the aluminum RMA. Yeah they are heavier but thats probably only n oticable to the experienced racer.

2009-06-28175345.jpg

31 hours is nothing to complain about. I have seen 450's trash renthals in less than 5 brand doesnt always matter.... ALuminum doesnt wear like steel and if you want it to last all year then give up some room for weight.

Actually, I would've thought that 31 hours of wringing out a 450 in MX conditions is pretty good. :worthy: N Edge

31 hours is great for a 450 in mx conditions...31 hours on an aluminum sprocket is an average for lites bikes around here (125, 250f) let alone they ddont get that worn...

Why/Do sprockets wear faster in muddy conditions?

Why/Do sprockets wear faster in muddy conditions?

Because mud is abrasive. It gets on the chain and just wears eveything away.

I have about 300 miles on mine and it still looks new. That is mostly trail riding though and not on a 450. Haven't really watched other sprokets to see how long they last but this one seems ok so far.

31 hours is nothing to complain about. I have seen 450's trash renthals in less than 5 brand doesnt always matter.... ALuminum doesnt wear like steel and if you want it to last all year then give up some room for weight. 31 hours is great for a 450 in mx conditions...31 hours on an aluminum sprocket is an average for lites bikes around here (125, 250f) let alone they ddont get that worn...

I'm not complaining; I know lot's of people bought this and wanted to show how mine looks. I'll see how long the new setup lasts. I just ordered same chain (DID gold non-oring) with Renthal sprockets. I'll see if they last longer.

my tag sprockets that i get for $30 get like 2 to 3 months out of them but i beat them bad

You always replace the chain at the same time, right?

Because mud is abrasive. It gets on the chain and just wears eveything away.

You mean mud like this? This is from last weekend (6/20):

2009-06-20141023.jpg

^^ Yes because the worn chain will not ride down in the sprokets correctly and will make your sproket life go down even faster.

wow that will kill a chain and sprockets lol

my current chain and sprocket are still fine.

the front sprocket is stock I believe, from 2005. has approx 150 hours on it (no MX racing though, jut forestry, hillclimbs, fire roads, cut lines, mountain riding, off road racing, etc...)

the rear sprocket I cant remember if ive ever changed it or not. I know I put a new chain. the chain has about 80 hours on it. the rear sprocket has 80-150 hours on it.

only sign of wear is the front sprocket.

why are mine lasting so long VS your guy stuff? my bike is a crf 450 with lots done to it.