Be Civil

I need to vent.

It was yesterday, Sunday. Went out to eat with friends and parked my 05 XR650L in a cross hatched spot in front of the restuarant, thinking it is a fine spot for a bike and not in anyones way. Nor is it taking up an entire automobile parking space. Minutes later my wife arrives and says some guy just hit my bike and knocked it over. I go out side where I am confronted by the driver, who says nothing , just stares at me, his elderly friend in another pickup chimes in - pointing out his bike was ilegally parked! that ain't no pakin spot. (and keeps repeating this again and again and again and again). I pickeup my beloved XR and note that the tank is dented, left sidecover plastic is scratched all to hell, as are the bliners and the left hadn gurad and front fender. At this point I am furious. My pride and joy damaged by outright carelessness! (or so it seemed) the driver still has said nothing, I asked him if he had insurance, thinking he would provide it and his name etc, All he says is, Yea I got insurance. But fails to produce anything. He is looking at the bike at this time too and his friend is incessently ranting and has now elevated to someone call a cop, we'll have him arrested! I strenly repeated I need to see your insurance to which nothing was produced. The old gent now tells me I am not being very "civil" about it. The other old guy is over the top by now and is screming for a cop. I start Big Red, and ride it to a nerarby automobile parking place and shut her down. Again I am informed I am not being civil for asking for insurrance and that I don't have to be so mad. I asked him how he would feel if I hit his truck with my truck, to this he just stares blankly. I am so steamed and thinking if by now he has nto produced insurance he has none. His elderly wife is in his truck nearly in tears. His old frind coot still in a frenzy. I decided to defuse the entire thing and said forget it I will take care of it, and walked into the restuarant and ordered and ate a meal. My wife was so upset she could nto even eat. She knows Big Red is my pride and joy. I lit it off and rode home, no tweaked bars, well that's good. and she ride like she always has. For the cosmetics, I found a 05 tank on ebay that was still like new, someone had removed it and replaced with a IMS tank. Paid 91.00 for it. far better than a new HONDA one $501.99! I still need to order a headlight shroud and and left sidecover $140.92. I also think I will put a IMS tank on it and just store the others, so if it ever happens again the tank will survive better, besides I need the extended range.

I am stunned that people are this way when it is thier fault, especially elderly folks whom are as a rule more responsible. The world is in sad shape and for us motorcyclists - it will never improve. Only in America can you have your possession damaged and be in the wrong. And they wonder why bikers have a thing against people in cars...

You should of let the jack-ass get his way and call the cops. Then the old SOB would have been buying the new parts for your bike, as he darn well should have, and it wouldn't be coming out of your pocket.

You're a better man for how you handled it then I would have been.....

So, you paid $91 for a take of tank that your not going to use?

Man, I'd be happy getting $80 for my 01 tank...... (it was only on for 40miles and dosnt even smell like gas any more)

My first reaction would be to call the Police.

I don't understand why you wouldn't report him. Even if you want to take care of the repairs without involving an insurance company, the careless driver deserves to be reported.

I am stunned that people are this way when it is thier fault, especially elderly folks whom are as a rule more responsible. The world is in sad shape and for us motorcyclists - it will never improve. Only in America can you have your possession damaged and be in the wrong. And they wonder why bikers have a thing against people in cars...

It's not only in America Motosprtman, we (motorcyclist) get treated the same way in Canada. It boils down to a matter of getting no respect on a bike. I don't know how many times I've come out to my bike in a parking lot to find that some jacka$$ has parked his truck/car so close that it's a miracle they didn't knock my bike over (maybe they would have when they backed out again). :worthy:

My first reaction would be to call the Police.

I don't understand why you wouldn't report him. Even if you want to take care of the repairs without involving an insurance company, the careless driver deserves to be reported.

i totally agree!! why wouldnt you call the police yourself to get the situation taken care of, at this point you said "F" it and youll suck it up so the worst case is the police tell you its your fault for where you were parked. (not that i think you were in the wrong at all!!) but you should have called the police and tell them someone hit your MC and knocked it over and caused damage and upon asking for insurance info that it was not given, this woulda caused a police person to come over and evaluate and control the situation. Just cant let people run over you and have their way,

Trully sorry to hear about something that causes so much stress for you!!! and damage to your bike, shouldnt be on your shoulders to deal with it, and your wife's. Good luck with repairs, keep an eye out on ebay for parts, oem prices are crazy!!! specially for that side plate

I would not have let it go. Perhaps the next time he will run over a kid who happened to be in the wrong place.

Unless you are in the middle of the road or something, where you are parked has nothing to do with it.

Leaving the scene of an accident without providing information makes it hit and run in most if not all states.

I bet they were laughing at you after you left.

This is one reason why I always park my bikes in real parking spaces and make sure that they're visible to people who might think they've found an empty spot and go to zoom into it only to find out too late that there's a bike there.

Plus with a plastic tank and the hand guards, you could push my bike over and pick it back up and I wouldn't even know it. Once an XR has a few "character scratches" you can stop worrying about additional scratches.

The guy still should have given you his insurance information, though. If the police had shown up it might have been easier to get the insurance information, along with a ticket for parking illegally. :worthy:

I'd have been calling the police for him. It makes perfect sense to park where you did, leaving a full sized space for cars, etc. I did the same thing when parking mine, making sure the area was not adjacent to a handicap slot. From the way they were carrying on, it almost sounds like a deliberate act. Either way, I would not have let that one go.

-Joe

Too late now and not trying to second guess, but yeah, you should have called the cops. If nothing else that would have calmed down the old idiot or got him jacked by the cops who wouldn't have put up with his tirade. Exchanging information is the law in most states, even on private property.

I would have called the cops too. I wouldn't have been so nice.

While you may have been parked illegally, you should have got his license number. If he refused his insurance info and drove away, you could report it as a hit and run. A fact you might have wanted to point out to the loudmouth. Life's lessons are sometimes hard learned. Watch older people when on the road and watch where you park. I know it makes sense to plunk a bike somewhere but you should park legally so you have some leg to stand on when crap like this happens. And truthfully it's just the right thing to do for the reputation of all bikers. :worthy:

You are all, of course correct, I should have done the right thing and called the police. I sank into a depression, and should not have that get the best of me, as I am now dishing out the money for parts. Alot of good advice as always, thanks fella's.

Well, you handled it alot better than some and I've gotta praise you for that. I have seen some turn a simple ACCIDENT into a criminal offense in a fit of rage. So you've gotta spend a few bucks on your bike. At least you didn't deck the driver or kick a dent in the side of his truck like some would. That would have turned it around to you being the bad guy and would have cost you alot more. Maybe you lost a little bit financially, but didn't lose in character.

I watched one time as an elderly man cut off a small scooter, and caused him to crash into a curb. The elderly continued on his way as if nothing happened. Well that is a FELONY to leave the scene when property or injury damage has occured. I chased him down in my rental mustang and chewed him a new one. I told him it was a felony and had the cell phone ready to go. He turned around and did go back to the scene. I checked his plates and he had "judge" plates on his SUV--go figure!!! If anything people need to be taught to watch for other vehicles, especially BIKES!! I would still call the police with plate info in hand, even if you were illegal. If you were in a lot, that is private property and falls under different rules. Perhaps the spot you took is a legal place to park(under law), but the lot owner doesn't "prefer" you park there. You handled it better than most, but I would have loved to make the point of his negligence in court while admitting my wrongdoing of parking in a spot I didn't notice off limits!!!!!!! good luck

In most case, parking on private property is pretty much unregulated. The exceptions are handicap spaces and fire zones.

FYI...

-Joe

If I where you, I'd still file a report. What's going to happen when he says you did something to him and took off..... Cause you did nothing at the time, all he has to do is say you did. Now what? I'd just make sure there is a report in case he feels like blaming you for some damage on his stuff.

people will try to get away with wutever u let them get away with...:lol:

it's not too late if u have his license plate number...

it happened on private property so about the only thing the police can/will do is take a report and u can still call one in...

this matter can be handled in small claims court...u tried to handle it at the time of the incident and he refused.

it doesn't matter if u parked directly behind him...he damaged ur property.:lol:

i served as a juror and we awarded money in a case very simular...alot of common sence prevails in small claims court since "joe public" makes the decisions.

gud luck :worthy:

:lol:

I most certainly would not have repaired the cosmetics. I got news for you: if you ride off road you will down it or some other jackass will knock your bike down in another parking lot somewhere.

You are all, of course correct, I should have done the right thing and called the police. I sank into a depression, and should not have that get the best of me, as I am now dishing out the money for parts. Alot of good advice as always, thanks fella's.

My condolences. I know how I feel about my sweet baby.