Skunk River Enduro - Turkey Scratch Enduro Riders - Fremont, IA

This enduro was scheduled many months in advance and about 5 days before the event... it was canceled. :worthy:

I bring it up for 2 reasons:

1 - Under what conditions do enduros get canceled?

For instance a GNCC, AMA National Enduro... under what conditions do these get canceled?

When was the last time one of these "series" enduros were canceled?

Do these get rescheduled as a matter of the promoter being obligated to provide a "rain date"?

Are these courses designed so they can be run wet or dry?

2 - Schedule... Club commitment...

Its frustrating to set up your personnal schedule around events and at the last minute (relative to how long the event is scheduled) the event is canceled. In some cases, riders are able to ride only a few events the AMA District has scheduled during the season due to vacations, work, committments, etc. Its frustrating to see these get canceled (especially within a couple days of the event).?

IMHO - when a club/promoter makes the commitment to hold an event (by whatever process they use to decide - voting, bylaws, tea leaves)... the event should be held (especially if the event is within 30 days). Otherwise, don't make the commitment to hold the event.

I have nothing to do with that event but I will give you a little history about the event.

Most of the enduro runs in low river bottom ground that the government uses to "dump" excessive water into when the rivers go up. In other words, they try to keep the rivers from flooding cities and homes by dumping the water there.

Over the last three years there has been a lot of rain in the Midwest. The guys that put on that enduro have been "flooded out" the last two or three years. They arrow it for the spring, get flooded out, reschedule it for the fall and the same thing happens. That's a lot of work and money lost for nothing.

I think you are going to get your wish as they have indicated that they are no longer going to try to hold that event which is to bad as it was one of the better enduros in the Midwest. (When it could run)

Another lost enduro! :worthy:

I do have a question; have you ever worked an event much less been in charge of one? It's a lot harder then what you think. I'd bet a lot of money that those guys would have run that enduro had they been given a choice but it's hard to do when the trail is under about 2 feet of water.

if they held the enduro with 5 inches of rain +

80 bikes. the ground was already wet it sure would have been a muddy f%!k fest.

thats not my idea of a fun race.last year we drove more than 3hours to race got there and then they cancelled the race.

plus there is no reason to chap the landowners asses we already lost a bunch of land because of that. if you like riding muddy slop, river valley offroad park is perfect after a rain

Yeah, I've worked events and yeah, I've also put events on. Events that have run both Saturday and Sunday. We made the decision to run it and we stuck to it.

If the guys are running the event in a bad spot... then IMHO... it might be a good thing to take it off the schedule. I'd hate to drive 6 hours and find out the event is canceled because water is released from a damn.

I hate to see an enduro go, that isn't my wish. But if the ground the course is set on is bad... is it really a loss? Sounds like you've gained nuthin' and you lost nuthin'.

I have nothing to do with that event but I will give you a little history about the event.

Most of the enduro runs in low river bottom ground that the government uses to "dump" excessive water into when the rivers go up. In other words, they try to keep the rivers from flooding cities and homes by dumping the water there.

Over the last three years there has been a lot of rain in the Midwest. The guys that put on that enduro have been "flooded out" the last two or three years. They arrow it for the spring, get flooded out, reschedule it for the fall and the same thing happens. That's a lot of work and money lost for nothing.

I think you are going to get your wish as they have indicated that they are no longer going to try to hold that event which is to bad as it was one of the better enduros in the Midwest. (When it could run)

Another lost enduro! :worthy:

I do have a question; have you ever worked an event much less been in charge of one? It's a lot harder then what you think. I'd bet a lot of money that those guys would have run that enduro had they been given a choice but it's hard to do when the trail is under about 2 feet of water.