XR650L Burning Oil =(

Hey everyone,

I bought an 08 XR650L last April. It's been a great bike and haven't had any problems with it until this weekend.

I noticed a ticking noise while riding and decided to head back to camp. When I gave the bike some throttle, it sputtered and died. I let the bike cool a bit and was able to make it back to camp where I discovered it was burning oil. I had oil in the air box and spitting out of the exhaust.

The only thing I've done to the bike recently was removed the smog gear and changed the stock front sprocket with a 13 tooth sprocket. I've easily put on 150 miles since those changes and was very pleased at how well the bike was running.

My plan is to take it to the dealer and hope that it's some kind of factory defect. Unfortunately, the bike is out of warranty by 2 months, but the main reason why I bought a Honda was because everyone told me how reliable they are. I met a guy at camp that had a long history of good luck with all of his Hondas, in fact, he's owned 3 XR650's. He told me he was shocked to see this happening, especially since the bike doesn't even have 4000 miles on it yet.

I'm not a mechanic by any means and I'm not trying to find a solution on how to fix this problem, but I would like to hear about what possibly could be wrong and what I can expect it to cost me. Also, is it possible that this was caused by me removing the smog equipment from the bike?

Thanks for your help and input.

your issues sound like somethings gone in the top end, with oil coming out exhaust and into airbox (only way it gets there is from crankcase breather) sounds typical of rings possibly going out, and causing the blowby, BUT since you let cool down and it rode again is wierd. How was it running after it cooled and ran back to camp??? Did you check to see how much oil is lost???

Sorry to welcome you to the forums under these circumstances, Where in Ca you from???

My first thought with the ticking you described was possibly having run low on oil. Then you mention oil in the air box, which is either a result of too much oil or your crank case vent (since de-smog) is getting oil vapor into the airbox. At 4,000 miles, the valves should have been adjusted for the second time, or at least checked.

To get rid of the oil vent issue, I followed Martinfan's lead and mounted a breather filter for the crank case vent near the top shock mount, rather than venting the crank case into the airbox.

You may not be in as bad a shape as you think. Worst case, Honda will most likely work with you. If the dealership won't, call American Honda directly. I did a bonehead thing back when I was young and ran my '85 XL350R low on oil. I was like you are, just out of warranty as well. Honda paid for the parts and I paid the labor, which was pretty reasonable, since I screwed up.

-Joe

Funny, but my 03 sort did the same thing. It wasn't puking oil at all, but suddenly started burning oil like crazy at times and then other times did not burn any. I took it to the shop because I couldn't figure it out and in the end, neither could the mechanic. So, I just did the entire top end, which solved the problem; whatever that was.

your issues sound like somethings gone in the top end, with oil coming out exhaust and into airbox (only way it gets there is from crankcase breather) sounds typical of rings possibly going out, and causing the blowby, BUT since you let cool down and it rode again is wierd. How was it running after it cooled and ran back to camp??? Did you check to see how much oil is lost???

Sorry to welcome you to the forums under these circumstances, Where in Ca you from???

Hey Denn10, I live in Visalia but took my family up to check out Hollister Hills SVRA. Was having a blast up until.... :worthy:

It seemed to run fine after letting it sit for about 10 minutes. The ride back was pretty much all downhill so I coasted some areas just to be safe. Plus, I was lucky that I wasn't that far from camp. The bike seemed to run fine on the ride back. I could hear that ticking noise, but it ran ok.

The oil was almost bone dry which I thought was wierd considering I had just changed it at 3500 miles.

Hey Denn10, I live in Visalia but took my family up to check out Hollister Hills SVRA. Was having a blast up until.... :worthy:

It seemed to run fine after letting it sit for about 10 minutes. The ride back was pretty much all downhill so I coasted some areas just to be safe. Plus, I was lucky that I wasn't that far from camp. The bike seemed to run fine on the ride back. I could hear that ticking noise, but it ran ok.

The oil was almost bone dry which I thought was wierd considering I had just changed it at 3500 miles.

Sounds like you sucked oil in through the crank case vent into the airbox and carburetor. It also sounds like you wiped out the cam/followers in the top end, at the least.

When you say "bone dry", are you referring to the dipstick, or did you pull the drain plugs?

-Joe

i would check your valves, see where your at with those, the ticking could be from that or low oil like purcell said. I agree with Purcell that you may not be in too bad a shape, but hard to tell, it obviously had some reason to puke the oil out the crankcase. I have the same problem with my L that i sold to someone that his family member blew up for him (LOL sucks!) so im helping him fix it but that doesnt run.

Clean out your air filter and airbox, then i would drain out the oil into an empty pan and see how much it is, full up its around 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 total for the system. That will let you know how much was left in the engine. After draining engine and oil filter housing i would refill and try running the bike.

Before this though also check your crankcase vent, take the hose off and make sure its not pinched or plugged too

just a few things to check out, maybe even pull plug and see how it is, just in case a bunch of oil burning didnt come close to fouling it out, maybe just put a new one in.

Im sure there will be more suggestions also, GL

r u saying that u haven't checked or added oil in 3500 miles?!? :banana:

even a non oil-burner cud use close to 2Qts w/ that kind of milege?

about 2000 miles or so is about the max before u need to change ur oil w/ many checks and add as required in that timeframe...i prefer about 800 miles max but i'm anal

I'm sure that this has been said before, but check your oil at least once each day before you ride.

+10 :worthy:?

hope u didn't run it low...

gud luck.

?

r u saying that u haven't checked or added oil in 3500 miles?!??

I think he's saying that he changed the oil at 3500 and doesn't even have 4000 on it now.

He told me he was shocked to see this happening, especially since the bike doesn't even have 4000 miles on it yet.

:worthy:

A power band is a description of an engines torque/power curve. Not an actual mechanical part.:worthy:

Some guy at the Honda shop just sold one to me for $50.00 He said the red one was best.........?

leevil,

In all honesty, have your top end checked out. Make sure no oil lines are pinched/blocked.

A power band is a description of an engines torque/power curve. Not an actual mechanical part.:worthy:

your kidding me right???? the guy at honda sold me a red one a week ago or so just haven't installed it yet:banghead: