Sign in to follow this  

2000 KX-250 Suspension Compatibility

I was removing my rear suspension because I am getting a new spring and having it revalved. When I started removing the tie rods and rocker arm, I noticed pieces of bearings falling out and other metal shavings (shims, etc). When I finally got the rocker arm off, I noticed it was severely cracked and gored on other parts of it. I know this is a good hint for my to call Jenny Craig but it is also proof that I did need a new spring since the guy I bought the bike from was about 50 lbs lighter than me.

Anyway, my question is what other years or even bike manufacturers' rocker arms will fit my bike. I tried looking up the OEM part number but it lists the same part number for 1987 as it does 2000 as it does 2005 and those parts are not the same. The typical range of compatibility for my bike is 1999-2002 but I wasn't sure if that applied to the suspension linkage as well. Also, while my bike is in pieces, what other parts or bearings, etc. need replaced when re-doing the suspension?

You are looking up the photo reference number not the part number. The reference number is: 39007. The part number is: 39007-1277 and fits 99-01 125/250. I thought 97/98 & 02 were the same, maybe someone can shed some light on it.

You're best bet is to replace all those bearings. There are 3 kits you'll need: The swing arm bearings (swing arm/frame pivot bearings); linkage bearings (the bearings for the rocker arm/linkage) and the shock bearings (upper and lower shock bearings). Now, if the upper shock bearing is fine, don't change it, just change the lower one. This way you'll have an extra bearing when the lower fails again. (same bearing)

Besides the loud clunking sound while going over whoops and braking bumps..lol...an easy way to check the rear suspension is to: Put the bike on a stand and gently lift up on the rear wheel. If a bearing is bad you'll feel a noticeable bump/clunk. Check the swing arm pivot bearings/wheel bearings by rocking the tire left to right.

You are looking up the photo reference number not the part number. The reference number is: 39007. The part number is: 39007-1277 and fits 99-01 125/250. I thought 97/98 & 02 were the same, maybe someone can shed some light on it.

Thanks for the input. This matches what the guy from OEM Cycle on Ebay told me too. 99-01 KX125 and 250 are compatible. If anyone has any other info, let me know.

The All Balls Linkage Bearing Kit looks like it includes all the bearings I'll need. If I didn't remove my swingarm, is there really a need to replace the bearings. I mean, is it common to replace them when you replace the other bearings? Thanks again for your help and advice.

Hopefully this link will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALL-BALLS-LINKAGE-BEARING-KIT-KAWASAKI-KX250-1999-2004_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem53d603b640QQitemZ360072853056QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The least you'll want to do is pull the swing arm, check and grease those bearings. I mean it's only one bolt at this point.

Based on the condition of the other bearings, I'm afraid to look at the swingarm. But, you're right, I do need to check 'em out. Thanks again.