Toyota Rust

Hey guys my 06 tacoma has some rust in a few different spots on the frame and i want to prevent more from coming so I was thinking about wire wheeling it and then spraying a few coats of Rustolium. I'm trying to figure out if there is a better way or paint to use. For you Tacoma fans out there this truck is the best truck made in my opinion. I seen my buddy take his tacoma trhough some stuff the bigger guys had trouble with and im VERY surprised. Thanks if anyone can help

Hey guys my 06 tacoma has some rust in a few different spots on the frame and i want to prevent more from coming so I was thinking about wire wheeling it and then spraying a few coats of Rustolium. I'm trying to figure out if there is a better way or paint to use. For you Tacoma fans out there this truck is the best truck made in my opinion. I seen my buddy take his tacoma trhough some stuff the bigger guys had trouble with and im VERY surprised. Thanks if anyone can help

You may want to check on the warranty, I know something to do with corrosion is covered.

If not, check out rust bullet or por 15.

You may want to check on the warranty, I know something to do with corrosion is covered.

If not, check out rust bullet or por 15.

Someone told me the same thing but when I called the dealership they said it wasn't. This dealer sucks and they are really shady over there. I do regret buying from them but i will have to go in there and give someone some lip. where could i find that stuff??

At this point, I think you're going to have to fix it yourself if it's surface rust, or if it's severe rot, Toyota may do something for you.

The big problems were on the pre-00 models.

At this point, I think you're going to have to fix it yourself if it's surface rust, or if it's severe rot, Toyota may do something for you.

The big problems were on the pre-00 models.

yea around here you can not get a used tundra anything older than about 03-04 for a good price cause toyota buys them for double what they are worth cause the frame rusts. The local toyota garage had toyota buy a 1998 tacoma back for 10 grand even though its about a 5 grand truck.

Back on topic, i think you are probably on your own for fixing it. If you are really ambitious tear the truck down and rhino line the frame, one of my friends did that to his 95 F150 3 years ago and it still looks like new... allot of work though.

Someone told me the same thing but when I called the dealership they said it wasn't....

They are right, it doesnt apply to the 05's

yea around here you can not get a used tundra anything older than about 03-04 for a good price cause toyota buys them for double what they are worth cause the frame rusts. The local toyota garage had toyota buy a 1998 tacoma back for 10 grand even though its about a 5 grand truck.

Back on topic, i think you are probably on your own for fixing it. If you are really ambitious tear the truck down and rhino line the frame, one of my friends did that to his 95 F150 3 years ago and it still looks like new... allot of work though.

Thats a great idea i have seen it done before and that stuff holds up. Im not experienced enough to do that on a truck or a car and plus its my daily driver.

Well i guess im stuck on finding that paint and doing it myself thanks guys!

Thats a great idea i have seen it done before and that stuff holds up. Im not experienced enough to do that on a truck or a car and plus its my daily driver.

Well i guess im stuck on finding that paint and doing it myself thanks guys!

http://www.automotive.com/2006/12/toyota/tacoma/warranty/index.html

Just like most manufactuers doesn't the 06 tacoma have at least a 5 year rust THROUGH warranty???? Probally won't help you though if it's just surface rust...

If you don't get a resonable response from the shmuck at your local dealer call someone farther up the food chain. Toyota USUALLY prides themselves on their customer satisfaction, hence the buybacks on the older tacomas that had rust problems.. My little cousin got over $9K for his 96 with 320,000 miles and a $3K voucher on a new Toyota with the program.

http://consumerist.com/379734/toyota-announces-tacoma-buyback-program-for-severe-rust-corrosion

Either way.. at least you're on the watch and being proactive about it...:worthy:

http://www.automotive.com/2006/12/toyota/tacoma/warranty/index.html

Just like most manufactuers doesn't the 06 tacoma have at least a 5 year rust THROUGH warranty???? Probally won't help you though if it's just surface rust...

If you don't get a resonable response from the shmuck at your local dealer call someone farther up the food chain. Toyota USUALLY prides themselves on their customer satisfaction, hence the buybacks on the older tacomas that had rust problems.. My little cousin got over $9K for his 96 with 320,000 miles and a $3K voucher on a new Toyota with the program.

http://consumerist.com/379734/toyota-announces-tacoma-buyback-program-for-severe-rust-corrosion

Either way.. at least you're on the watch and being proactive about it...:worthy:

Holy crap! that's a slammin deal. I am going to give them another call about this situation. It's a lease, i know BAD idea but I was too young and uninformed, so its under full warranty.

Since rustoleum is a rust paint it should be effective for about 3 or 4 years assuming you take all of the surface rust off. However anything catylized that you would try to apply over the rustoleum will likely react with it.

Rhino lining the frame would pretty much end all rust issues but the fact that you'd have to take the cab, bed, and front clip off of the truck would make it impractical. Plus that rubberized bed shit weighs a ton.

The absence of rust issues is on the very (very) short list of advantages of living in California. I'm going through a 22 year old S-10 blazer right now and even though the paint went to shit from being outside most of its life the floors, frame, suspension, rockers panels, and lower fenders are pristine.

Since rustoleum is a rust paint it should be effective for about 3 or 4 years assuming you take all of the surface rust off. However anything catylized that you would try to apply over the rustoleum will likely react with it.

Rhino lining the frame would pretty much end all rust issues but the fact that you'd have to take the cab, bed, and front clip off of the truck would make it impractical. Plus that rubberized bed shit weighs a ton.

The absence of rust issues is on the very (very) short list of advantages of living in California. I'm going through a 22 year old S-10 blazer right now and even though the paint went to shit from being outside most of its life the floors, frame, suspension, rockers panels, and lower fenders are pristine.

Once rust has gained a foothold, not even rhino lining will stop it, unless you completely strip down to bare, clean metal and prep and seal it, then rhino line it.

Once rust has gained a foothold, not even rhino lining will stop it, unless you completely strip down to bare, clean metal and prep and seal it, then rhino line it.

This is true. Thats why I suggested stripping it in the first paragraph. I should have stated that stripping is necessary for the rhino lining as well...but I assumed that was common sense.

In my body work research I learned that even if rust is stripped off a surface, the pits left behind in the metal can develop future rust underneath the sealer...even stuff like por 15.

This is true. Thats why I suggested stripping it in the first paragraph. I should have stated that stripping is necessary for the rhino lining as well...but I assumed that was common sense.

In my body work research I learned that even if rust is stripped off a surface, the pits left behind in the metal can develop future rust underneath the sealer...even stuff like por 15.

That's why blasting media followed by a sealing primer that is intended for rusted surfaces is the best bet.

I've seen some REALLY ugly, rusty old tractors that were restored and the before and after pics, you can't even believe they are the same tractor unless you go through the slideshow of the step by step!