Sign in to follow this  

Rear Shock Adjustments

Hi,

Here is my rear shock. I took it off and inspected it yesterday. It looks okay. The rear suspension feels soft on my 2004 DRZ400S. When I bring it to center off my kick stand it seems to compress almost two inches. I increased the preload and other settings too. Do you think this will make much difference or should I just replace the spring. I don't think the bike has been ridden much, but i'm not really certain how many miles it has. I'm going to lube the swing arm bearings before I put it back together.

IMG_0661.jpg

how much do you wiegh ?

stock the DRZ is good for ~170 lb rider maybe

Get the proper spring for your weight (with gear) and set the preload and it will be much better. You need to do the same with the forks, also.

Don't buy a new spring.

You see those threads at the top of your spring in your picture?

Get a screw driver and hammer, loosen the large spring lock-nut (one on top) and use the screw driver and hammer to stiffen the spring with the large pressure nut (have the bike on a stand). Move it down about 3/4 of an inch or more. That will greatly stiffen the preload and will make it feel so much better. I'm 210lbs, 6' tall, and did this on both of my DRZs and they ride much better now.

You can also loosen your front fork shock holders and pull the tubes down a little as well if you want to bring the front up a bit.

Ride on bud! :worthy:

I weight 220lbs, I have the preload at max on the stock spring, perfect for SM, might be a bit harsh for trails. So the adjustment is there if you want to use it. The correct spring would be even btter, but then the damping is designed to work with the stock spring, so will have less control !

Go to RaceTech, they have a spring rate calculator. By entering your weight you can clearly see your spring rate is insufficient. Use the recommended rate for fun times and a suspension that works for you.

You need a new spring. I stiffened up the back and left the front stock for now. It seems to work much better.

Don't buy a new spring.

You see those threads at the top of your spring in your picture?

Get a screw driver and hammer, loosen the large spring lock-nut (one on top) and use the screw driver and hammer to stiffen the spring with the large pressure nut (have the bike on a stand). Move it down about 3/4 of an inch or more. That will greatly stiffen the preload and will make it feel so much better. I'm 210lbs, 6' tall, and did this on both of my DRZs and they ride much better now.

You can also loosen your front fork shock holders and pull the tubes down a little as well if you want to bring the front up a bit.

Ride on bud! :worthy:

Try not to use the screw driver, if you get the nut out of round you could trash the threads. Use a cheap spanner wrench. Also, if you span the nut down to far you could whats called "sack" the spring. Meaning it is now shorter when fully relaxed. Hence getting a spring for your weight. My brother ran his s spring down to far for to long, and now we cant even set the proper sag. IF the service manual is correct, it warns of running the spring down to far.

Both of my DRZ400s's had yellow springs stock. I noticed the one in the pic is white? might not be stock? It is kind of a PITA but I resprung and revalved both of my bikes front and back and now they actually work properly in the woods and whoops. Very important when you ride with a bunch of KTM's. I have had good results checking the race sag once a month or so also.

I weight 220lbs, I have the preload at max on the stock spring, perfect for SM, might be a bit harsh for trails. So the adjustment is there if you want to use it. The correct spring would be even better, but then the damping is designed to work with the stock spring, so will have less control !

The damping is also set to work with a spring that isn't preloaded to the max, also. What you're doing is probably worse than running a heavier spring with minimal preload with the factory shock damping.

Both of my DRZ400s's had yellow springs stock. I noticed the one in the pic is white? might not be stock? It is kind of a PITA but I resprung and revalved both of my bikes front and back and now they actually work properly in the woods and whoops. Very important when you ride with a bunch of KTM's. I have had good results checking the race sag once a month or so also.

The spring color has changed over the years. My factory '06 S spring is white. My Race Tech spring is blue.

Where do you get new springs? I am in the same situation.

I bought my Race Tech fork and shock springs from the ThumperTalk store.They were a cheap as anyone else and had no tax and free shipping.

for what it is worth both of my drz's are 04 s models and had yellow springs but they could have changed mid-run.

does anyone know if the TT store stocks the 6.0kg/mm??

i see the 5.7, but that's not enough for my fat @$$....the TT price is $10 lower...so it'd save a bit

i doubt ANY adjustments could save the stock shock....at least for me.

thanks for the info,

Blind :worthy:

does anyone know if the TT store stocks the 6.0kg/mm??

i see the 5.7, but that's not enough for my fat @$$....the TT price is $10 lower...so it'd save a bit

i doubt ANY adjustments could save the stock shock....at least for me.

thanks for the info,

Blind :worthy:

I'm sure they can get it if you call them. I went with a 5.7 even though the calculator said stock should work for me. Very happy with the change so I would definitely recommend going higher if there is any doubt.