Plating a CA 450X in AZ - Pros/Cons? - How to do it?

My mother in law lives in Bullhead City Arizona and I was thinking of plating my currnetly California green stickered 06 450X there.

Once plated, can I ride it on the street/dirt here in Cali without any problems?

Has anyone else done this and if so, what would the pros and cons be?

How would i go about plating in AZ if I decide to go that route?

I plate all my bikes in AZ now.

It is real simple, just truck your bike to az DMV and tell them you want a dual purpose plate. They will need to do an inspection i=on the vin but that is it. then you pay your 50.00 and have a street plated bike.

Now riding the street around socal there shouldn't be any problem. I have been followed by CHP and they have not done anything. Even rangers have not stopped me in the mojave preserve they just keep on going by.

You will need a DS kit if you are going to ride it in cali. They will site you for equipment violations.

I've plated dirt bikes, even my 2st, without so much as having the bike present. They'll hand you a paper to sign acknowledging that you understand that road going equipment must be present while traveling on public roads. Local law enforcement only cares that you have eye protection, headlight if at night, tail light with brake light (it can be operated by foot only and its legal) and lic plate visible from the rear. You could street legal a chain saw driven lazy boy if you wanted too....

For out of state bikes they will at the very least do a vin/engine number verification so your bike must be present for the level I inspection. Again it does not have to be street legal even by AZ requirements to obtain a plate. Once inside you'll have to decide on several methods of obtaining the street plate:

1- As a regular vehicle being registered

2- OHV that will be ridden 50% or more on street

3- OHV that will be ridden less than 50% on street

I've opted for number 2 on three of my bikes. its far cheaper and OHV sticker allows you to ride on State Trust land without paying additional $75 fee to the state.

I read about plated 450X's in Az all the time, but I've yet to see one running around the streets here

If you plate in Az and ride in Kali, you need too have an Az drivers license to match.

If you are pulled over, you could get ticketed in Kali I have been told.

Any confirmation on that?

Can you register it to a freind in AZ and borrow it!! permanently borrow it. what happens if you buy a street bike that is allready registered,do you need re inspection if you bring it back to california ?? We have strange laws in the uk but registering bikes is quite straight forward now

If you plate in Az and ride in Kali, you need too have an Az drivers license to match.

If you are pulled over, you could get ticketed in Kali I have been told.

Any confirmation on that?

I have never been pulled over and hope that i never do. But my friend that is a CHP officer says you would not get a ticket unless you were pulled over multiple times. The idea is to not spend a lot of time on the freeway untill you can transfer the reg back to cali.

... I used to ride my TE510, plated from Oregon (no tax), however purchased here... in Downtown San Diego. :worthy: ...never an issue.

I think it'd be odd to continuously run across the same LEO for them to notice the bike being ridden mostly in Cali, compared to where registered. Like Tatt says... you'd need to be cited for them to remember (IMHO).

However, if your caught... there are fines. And you only have so many grace days to import an out of state vehicle, to your local residence. In fact, it requires some dishonesty if you get caught... because, DMV can go back and say; "Oh, Mr.Jones... I see you received a citation for speeding and non-compliance back in '07, and one in '08. So you obviously have had this vehicle in state since then...." It'll require some fancy footwork on your part. And a filling out a 'statement of facts' to prove your bike has truly been ridden mainly where registered.

I had a boat, reg. in AZ.... and when the state of CA called me to ask about the registration being current... I told'em I registered it in AZ, where it's main place of use is. Their comment was; "interesting, as I see it's parked in your driveway....." I was speechless. Apparently a state worker lived nearby. The trailer was registered in CA, and the boat in AZ.... I was in the clear.

I had a boat, reg. in AZ.... and when the state of CA called me to ask about the registration being current... I told'em I registered it in AZ, where it's main place of use is. Their comment was; "interesting, as I see it's parked in your driveway....." I was speechless. Apparently a state worker lived nearby. The trailer was registered in CA, and the boat in AZ.... I was in the clear.

I hate when people don't mind their own business.

Got my plate right there at the Bullhead DMV. In and out in less than an hour on a Thursday mornin. I had a cobbled together dual sport kit, but the girl didn't bother lookin at it. One thing that made it easier was I first went though and got an AZ ID then went through again and got the title transfered and inspection. Walked out with my plate.

I too have ridden all over So Cal without any problems from LEO's. Only close call, if you could call it that, was a Ranger at Baldy Mesa asked to see my motorcycle endorsement even though I was off road. No problem there as Ive had it since I was 19. After talking for a bit he told me he was going to go the very next month and get himself an AZ plate for his bike!!!

PM me and I'll fill you in on it all.

The "grace period" is 20 days. You have 20 days to transfer a vehicle to CA after it is brought here.

Now who's to say you didn't "just" bring it here for 15 days, take it back for 2 and bring it back again? As said if you're repeatedly seen by the same LEO be prepared to 'splain yourself.

If you're doing it to make it a legal dual sport you should be just fine, assuming you only ride it on the pavement occasionaly

Drumming up an old topic. Is there anyone i could PM who has done this?

I've plated dirt bikes, even my 2st, without so much as having the bike present. They'll hand you a paper to sign acknowledging that you understand that road going equipment must be present while traveling on public roads. Local law enforcement only cares that you have eye protection, headlight if at night, tail light with brake light (it can be operated by foot only and its legal) and lic plate visible from the rear. You could street legal a chain saw driven lazy boy if you wanted too....

For out of state bikes they will at the very least do a vin/engine number verification so your bike must be present for the level I inspection. Again it does not have to be street legal even by AZ requirements to obtain a plate. Once inside you'll have to decide on several methods of obtaining the street plate:

1- As a regular vehicle being registered

2- OHV that will be ridden 50% or more on street

3- OHV that will be ridden less than 50% on street

I've opted for number 2 on three of my bikes. its far cheaper and OHV sticker allows you to ride on State Trust land without paying additional $75 fee to the state.

Aprilia,

Nice summary on plating in AZ.

I've plated 4 bikes in AZ in the last 5 years. A 2001 Honda Shadow 750, a 2006 WR250F, a 2007 CRF230F, and a 2005 CRF450X. In no case was a vehicle inspection required and the bikes did not have to be brought to the DMV. The dirt bikes were previously registered in AZ, but I seem to recall the street bike was previously registered in Texas. I could be wrong on that one. In each case, I only had to bring the title that was signed by the seller and my AZ drivers license. I'm not sure what happens if you don't have an AZ license?

AZ DMV requires you to sign a document that says the bike has all required equipment installed. I found a list on line. It includes a plate, horn, emissions, headlight and turn signals after dark, brake light and rear reflector, and rear view mirror. DOT tires are probably also required, although it's not mentioned? An OHV sticker also requires a USDA approved spark arrestor. Again, no one checks or verifies this at the DMV, but you're signing a document that says you comply. I've been pulled over by County Sheriffs at road stops and all they looked for was the MC plate. I've been pulled over by the Forest Service and all they checked was the OHV sticker. No emissions test was required to register the bike or to renew the registrations. (Edit: I live in Pima county, I'm not sure about Maricopa county. A later post mentions the need for emissions testing in some AZ counties.)

I believe the three plate options you mentioned are for "MC" plates which allow you to ride the bike on the street. Although I have never done it, there is a fourth option of a "RV" plate which enables purchase of an OHV sticker, but is not street legal. In all 4 cases they enable you to ride on Forest Service land and State Trust land with the additional purchase of a $25 OHV sticker. I selected option 3 on your list for my dirt bikes, which is the cheapest for street use and purchased OHV stickers for off-road use.

Of course, you have to insure the bike with minimum liability insurance, as well. The insurance companies must file something with the AZ DMV, because after a few months, I recieved a letter telling me one of the dirt bike registrations would be cancelled if I didn't get liability insurance for that bike, even though I had it for my street bike and another dirt bike. I'm not sure how this would complicate the process for our friends living to the west of us.

Also note, when you buy an AZ plated vehicle from another person, the buyer doesn't get to keep the plate. By AZ law, that stays with the previous registered owner. A friend had an ugly experience with an out-of-stater who bought a bike from him and wanted to take the plate. He accused my friend of fraud because he was selling a "plated" bike and didn't give him the plate.

Edited by Sofiedog

I recently found that you don't need to go through all this trouble to get a 450x plated in Kali... Anyone interested, send me a PM and I'll help you out :smirk:

Just bought an 06 in Phoenix that was plated. In some counties it has to be smogged. Your residence has to be in AZ but your mailing can be in CA (i assume in a year AZ will ask registration be updated. Best yet, call DMV and/or AAA and see exactly what they want. You can actually get thru in AZ, not like CA. Short lines too. If I am busted here my line will be I bought it two weeks ago. It doesn't seem that difficult to get a CA plate if you already have an AZ. Turn signals and a couple of other things, maybe DOT tires. Again maybe AAA can do it.

So would i need an AZ license to get an AZ plate or just an AZ address? &%$#@!in' CA, i seriously ride it on the road for about 10-15 minutes per ride to get to Gas, food, sometimes to connect trails i just really dont want to have to worry about getting hassled.

You just need an address. Maybe rent a po box or ask here if you could borrow an address. I think it could be fictitious becasue DMV only mails to your mail address.

What if the bike is currently registered in CA?

I sold my 05 450X to my dear old mother in another state and helped her get it plated. She's since moved and transfered the plate to another state which requires insurance in the title holder's name, so it's become a bit more complicated, but I still ride around SoCal on a plated bike. I just cary the registration, both insurance cards (mine and Mom's) and hope that I never have to explain it all to LEO. The irony is that the bike has never been within 2,000 miles of the states in which it has been plated.

I recently brought back to Cal a bike bought and plated in AZ. They were supposed to forward future registration requests to Cal. The office girl hadn't done this so I had to call DMV to get an ID (unless you have an AZ license, and I don't) number, then went online and changed everything. Geico insured me here. They just had to comply with AZ slightly different non property damage requriements.