Sign in to follow this  

I think I found my first DRZ!

Hi DRZ fans, I just got finished with my first bike, an 81 Yamaha XS400, and now it's time to move on. I have spent a lot of time on advrider and smj and decided I want a bike that I can adventure with and have SM wheels for hooliganism on the side. My obvious choice was the DRZ400S. I have come across one for sale, and I wanted to see what you more experienced DRZ folk thought of this.

It is located in New England. :worthy:

6,000 Miles yellow DRZ400S 2001

Acerbis Handguards

Unknown skid plate (has hole for oil change and semi-covers the sidecases)

FMF exhaust with quiet core

Brand new DOT knobbies

Stainless steel front brake line and new pads

Owner said he uses the bike mostly on the street and hardly ever touches the rear brake, meaning that the rear brake is solid

Oil + filter just changed

Previous owner soldered in a "power valve" into the intake side of the carb. The current owner said he thought the P.O. was a nutcase and so he removed it, said it made the bike run a lot better when gone. He thinks it was jetted for the exhaust because the bike runs great with no hesitations spitting etc. I don't think it has the 3x3 mod.

He wants $1500 firm for it, but he said he would throw in some things like goggles and pants so I can get closer to a more dual-sport-ish gear setup.

I would plan on doing the 3x3 and rejetting it to wake up the bike some and remove the unknown of current jetting due to the "power valve" mod. He said it was like a little tab of metal that impeded air flow or some shite. Supposedly the intake side of the carb wasn't effected except for a couple small nicks. :lol:

Previous owner soldered in a "power valve" into the intake side of the carb.

Honestly, that would make it a deal killer to me... no idea what other things the previous owner did.

... no idea what other things the previous owner did....

+1...

Honestly, that would make it a deal killer to me... no idea what other things the previous owner did.

I thought about that, but for what it's worth I trust him. He says it starts right up every time, it runs great, gets good gas mileage, but that the guy for some reason said he 'read online about a power valve mod and did it'. The current owner returned it back to stock and says it runs great... Plus, he could have just not told me about it to begin with, he's being honest about the sale.

Has anyone heard of this mod? It seems pretty obvious that it doesn't do anything... just wondering if anyone has seen this myth floating around the net.

Also, can you think of anything to ask him or look at when I go see it again in person? (I saw it once when I went to check out a Hawk GT he was selling, and he told me that he was selling the DRZ too at that time.)

Are you a good wrench? I just know how much it sucks to work on other peoples cobbled up crap. As long as your realize what you are getting into then go for it.

Are you a good wrench? I just know how much it sucks to work on other peoples cobbled up crap. As long as your realize what you are getting into then go for it.

Yes, I am a good wrench. Work doesn't scare me one bit, mechanical or electrical. Done a lot of stuff with cars (not sure where to begin or end) and the basic stuff with my XS400S.

I'm trying to get a feel for the price of it. Aside from this mystery "power valve" which I am aware and cautious about, but not too worried about.

if i was to venture a guess, and i'm only guessing

I would think that something similar to this would be the "power valve"

http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/V-Twin

I'm 75% sure that is what he was talking about, but he said the guy made it out of sheet metal and wedged it in. He says there was zero damage to the carb, but that it was a stupid idea and he reversed it as soon as he bought the bike.

I'm glad you found that. :worthy:

I'd get it. I got a similiar deal and I'm sorting through lots of odd little troubles due to prior owner retardedness. As long as you go into it expecting to do some work everything should be fine. It sounds like thats no problem given your previous bike.

The power valve thing to me sound's kinda like a thing you can buy for your carb. Its called a power now and it is basicly a flat piece of metal that goes on the intake side of the carb to stop it from bogging when you hammer the throttle. I know some guy's were making their own. That would not hurt anything once it's removed. That sound's like a great price to me, I saw some that same year here in calif. going for 3K!

• Like 1

The power valve thing to me sound's kinda like a thing you can buy for your carb. Its called a power now and it is basicly a flat piece of metal that goes on the intake side of the carb to stop it from bogging when you hammer the throttle. I know some guy's were making their own. That would not hurt anything once it's removed. That sound's like a great price to me, I saw some that same year here in calif. going for 3K!

You know what... I did a search and I am 99% sure that is what he was talking about. The other one that was posted before is very similar but has a second vertical plate. Thanks so much for the info! Fuel for you kind sir...

I'm glad I asked thumpertalk about this, I knew someone would have the right information. Now I feel better about my decision to seriously consider this purchase.

I'm actually surprised that this mod actually works...

Anyone got some DRZ-SM wheels they wanna sell? :worthy:

Uh, that's for a CVK not for an FCR nor BSR. Unless there is a bolt up flange for the intake boot, it won't mate up to a DRZ.

Uh, that's for a CVK not for an FCR nor BSR. Unless there is a bolt up flange for the intake boot, it won't mate up to a DRZ.

I was thinking about that last night, and that's why I think he said it made it run like sh*t. Regardless, when I go see it again I'm going to ask to take the carb off so I can see if there is any damage.