Rebuild question...

I just finished installing a new piston in my 05 450 and I was talking to a guy who runs a shop here and he said I should have had the cylinder honed. The cylinder looks to be in excellent shape and I told him that, but he said it should still be done. Does this have to be done every time you rebuild? I also checked my valve clearance and the exhaust was perfect, The Intake was off a bit, the left was .005 and the right was .004 the book says it should be

.005 - .007 So I guess I have to shim the right a bit, I also told him this and he said the valves are starting to go and should be changed. Is this true? It’s only off by .001

I just finished installing a new piston in my 05 450 and I was talking to a guy who runs a shop here and he said I should have had the cylinder honed. The cylinder looks to be in excellent shape and I told him that, but he said it should still be done. Does this have to be done every time you rebuild? I also checked my valve clearance and the exhaust was perfect, The Intake was off a bit, the left was .005 and the right was .004 the book says it should be

.005 - .007 So I guess I have to shim the right a bit, I also told him this and he said the valves are starting to go and should be changed. Is this true? It’s only off by .001

Well Im afraid that he is not that far from the truth. Unless it is the first time you adjust them , once you start to ajust them mean the hard coating on them is gone.... Have also been told by someone here, that after a freshly rebuilt... that you might have to set the valves after couples of ride, need a little run time for them to set in.

For your Cylinder... even if all the crosshatch were visible and all the specs were good, when you change piston and specially rings.. you have to hone, or deglaze the cylinder for the ring to adjust to the cylinder for a proper seal. If not, you might end up with the engine burning oil. It is to my understanding that if you remove the cylinder, just to verify the piston and ring, then you put back the Cylinder with same piston and same ring you dont need to deglaze or hone.

Scotchbrite is working fine to deglaze the cylinder i have been told.

Thanks!..this is the first time they have gone out of spec so I think I'll shim it and see how long that lasts ...As for the deglaze how do you know when you have enough off? can you tell after your done by looking at it?

Thanks!..this is the first time they have gone out of spec so I think I'll shim it and see how long that lasts ...As for the deglaze how do you know when you have enough off? can you tell after your done by looking at it?

Hummm... not an expert here and never done it. I would assume you would rub the inside of the cylinder until the shine is not longuer there. When you look inside your cylinder now, ok you see the initial hone mark but the inside is also shiny. Remove the shine and you should be done with the deglaze. BE SURE TO CLEAN THE CYLINDER WITH HOT WATER AND SOAP.

This is MY Oppinion only. Please wait for other with more experience to respond. My response is based on what i have read over the internet.

Thanks grabber!

Regarding the honing, my local shop told me the same thing. I took their advice. After all, it was only 30 bucks or so. Cheap peace of mind if you ask me.

you should def hone or deglaze the cyl installing new pistons or rings it allows for a better seal of the compression ring and cylinder

as for the valves if its not your initial break in period and your valves are starting to move then yes shimming will work for a lil while but its a good indicator to start gettin ready to replace them

my pref is to replace all of the valves not just the one but its your choice