Sign in to follow this  

Introduction and questions

I just bought an 09 KX450F, here's the short version of the story... I grew up as a kid with dirt bikes was pretty decent. As soon as i got my drivers license i was lured to the road racing side and have been doing that for 10 years. It's been at least 10 years since i've ridden a dirt bike regularly but i figured because i am a pretty "motorsports inclined" person i would be able to handle the 450... I was wrong... It's alot more different than i thought it was going to be and dirt bikes have come a LONNGGGG way! I rushed into the purchase and did'nt really research it much but now i have discovered the drawbacks to a full on motocross bike, (I should have gotten a KLX). Anyway, i'll grow into the power, not worried about that. But i fear that before i do i will damage the engine due to a lack of speed... with it's fairly inefficient cooling system and my incredible inabilty to carry any speed through anything other than a straight trail... haha

So my question is, are there some mods i can do to help keep the thing cool? Maybe an aftermarket electric fan for the radiator or retrofitting the KLX stuff onto it? Anyone done this? Someone please help before i blow this thing up...

Add an overflow tank as well... My pops added one to my bike for me and it works like a charm (You would think that at 28 I should be able to add my own, but Pops was more concerned at the time... I just wanted to ride. :worthy: ). We added it behind the left side panel. I don't have any pics but he used some pvp pip and a stick of aluminium. But I haven't had any problems since then.

Yep sounds like you should have got the KLX. :lol: But don't panic ...

Funny, a friend of mine came over one day and was telling his son how my bike is bit of a toy compared to the motoGP bikes on TV that do 300km/h. I did not say anything, but I was thinking that 50HP over the bumps aint like a Sunday drive.

Re cooling: Perhaps look into richening up the EFI fuel map, and fitting a larger tank if you need the range.

The richer fuel map might also tame it down to feel more progressive with torque delivery. You could tame down the ignition during the remap too.

Not sure how cashed up you are, but the rekluse zstart pro clutch might be good for you, since it'll tame it down at very low rpms.

Or just add a heavier flywheel than it already has.

People say the 09 suspension needs some run-in time. As usual sag setup and spring choice are critical to the handling. If you still dont like the handling, then I'm sure there are some experts who can make the dampers more woods compatible for you.

You could fit a quieter and more restrictive muffler, which can tame down the engine a bit and give you some throttle roll on before it barks. This could make it run richer too, meaning you might not need the fuel remap. Something like the Q4 perhaps.

Really there is a completely different bike lurking in their if you go hunting for it.

Now that you have ridden your new 450F, go watch the boys on TV ride around Glen Helen on them last month. Just amazing. :worthy:

go watch the boys on TV ride around Glen Helen on them last month. Just amazing. :worthy:

Amen to that! :lol:

Man, don't be a wuss. Theres nothing scary about a 450 if you know how to ride decent like you said you do. Its a hell of alot of fun.

dude give urself a season on the bike and your going to be glad u got the kx not that klx. You'll be able to handle it before long.

dude give urself a season on the bike and your going to be glad u got the kx not that klx. You'll be able to handle it before long.

:worthy:

Thanks for the help guys. For now i put engine ice in the rad and am ordering the boyeson water pump cover. I've had the chance to ride it 3 times so far and i'm starting the get the feel for it back i think. It does'nt help that i'm riding in sandy areas though, can't get a good feel for the handling, a couple more practice sessions and i'll go see what i can do at the track.

yep, i have heard the stock front tire is crap, but i have also heard that everyone says they're stock fron tire is crap on all bikes.. so i took it with a grain of salt. What tires should i switch to? the practice area i ride on has alot of sand, but the tracks in the area are intermediate and i plan on starting to go to them soon. Also what tire pressures do you guys use for different terrain?

What tires should i switch to? the practice area i ride on has alot of sand, but the tracks in the area are intermediate and i plan on starting to go to them soon. Also what tire pressures do you guys use for different terrain?
Easy. Pirelli MS32. For a range of sand to medium. Impressive.

I got a chance to go to the track twice this weekend. My first two times ever on a motocross track... I should have done this a long long time ago! It was awesome, and the bike is amazing. one question though, i know it differs from track to track but what gear do you guys use the most, i dunno if i'm doing it wrong but i would say 3/4 of the time i was in second gear, i felt no need for more speed than that and i could clear any jump i got up the courage to try(also hit my first double the second time out! weee) i think im just going to wear the stock tires out before i switch. i think i need to work on my technique before i start blaming things on equipment...

Mostly 3rd gear for me on my 06 with either a 48 49 or 50T rear sprocket.

The rear D756 is fine most of the time. But with the front D742F, you might find some dirt where it works, but on other dirt where it lacks predictability, with that tire, you are not really learning how to ride the bike and wasting valuable ride hours in terms of your $ to fun ratio.

I think people who say "traction is over rated" are those who ride on surfaces which are reasonably predictable with any tire. It's hard to drag your bars through corners if you have no idea what either end of the bike might do.

Good attitude man. I still have the stock tires on and have not found the stock front to be as horrible as some have, maybe i am just too slow...

What track were you riding at?.. It doesnt matter, I have ridden a lot of NC tracks and pretty much anything east coast the factory gearing is pretty tall. put a 51 on the rear and learn to carry some speed swap 2nd for 3rd and things seem to smooth out.

Conditions can vary a lot for me between rides. It probably takes me 15 mins to change a front and 30 mins for a rear tire, but the 2 or 3 hrs on bike after that is WELL worth the 45 mins. Besides I usually do it while I watch my kids riding. Just really happy I dont have black rims. :worthy:

Here is a picture of my catch tank.

DSC00446.jpg

DSC00447.jpg

This tank came off of a CR250X, and i just use two small pieces of aluminum for brackets, but lots of different tanks will work fine as long as they clear the tire.

The PCV method works great as well, and if you just paint it black, you won't really ever notice the tank.

I have also added a Rekluse, and was probably the best money I have ever spent on a dirt bike, including the money I spend on suspension. My 450 is now more fun than the KX500s I raced in the desert for 10 years.

Take your time and get the bike setup, you will not be disappointed.

Good attitude man. I still have the stock tires on and have not found the stock front to be as horrible as some have, maybe i am just too slow...

What track were you riding at?.. It doesnt matter, I have ridden a lot of NC tracks and pretty much anything east coast the factory gearing is pretty tall. put a 51 on the rear and learn to carry some speed swap 2nd for 3rd and things seem to smooth out.

The stock rear is a 50 right? is one tooth really going to make that much of a difference?

And yet another question.. i'm probably just an idiot but whats the point of the coolant catch tank? I know that if it overheats it will expell excess pressure and fluid out the drainage tube, so i'm guessing thats the tube you have run to that tank, but does the pressure equalize itself somehow and suck the coolant back out of the catch tank? or do you just have to take it off and dump it back in the rad? If thats the case then why not just bring a jug of coolant? (To an mx track anyway, i can understand having the tank even if you have to do it manually if your riding long trails or desert racing or something like that.)