Sign in to follow this  

Should I go to a bigger bike?

I just started riding last fall. Edit: that is when I started to feel comfortable. I got my first bike in the spring while the snow was still melting. Anyhoo.. I started on a TTR125. It was a great learner bike for me but way to small. We sold that and got me a TTR230. I have loved the bike. I did have to put a riser on it for standing. Still I feel to big for the bike. This weekend on my first ride my hub had me jump on his WR250 and I loved it. I like the extra power, height, and suspension compared to my 230. Should I step it up and go bigger? I wouldn't say I'm very advanced as a rider yet. I think I have done extremely well for the amount of time I have had riding. I keep up with the boys and the hub has had comments about how did you get her in here??? Do you ladies think this step up is to soon for me or should I just go for it and see if it's the bike for me?

Here are some pics from our first ride this last weekend.

6-27-09uintaride003.jpg

6-27-09uintaride004.jpg

6-27-09uintaride002.jpg

6-27-09uintaride014.jpg

6-27-09uintaride017.jpg

6-27-09uintaride019.jpg

6-27-09uintaride005.jpg

If you feel comfortable on a bigger bike then I'd get it. You out grow bikes fast when you're first learning how to ride. Just make sure you respect the power the bike has. I have two scares on my knees from my 450 (didn't think the front wheel would come up the fast :worthy: ).

Awesom pics!!! Beautiful backcountry! In the one pic it looks like a drop into a switchbacky trail - did you go down/come up that?

I'm not sure how the TTR's are set up but I have heard they are good for learning but might leave something to be desired for progressing or advanced riders without modifactions. It's a great idea to ride others bikes and for as long as you can in the terrain you like to ride - that's how I ended up going to the type of bike I'm currently on right now. A friend let me borrow her KX100 years and years ago for some single track riding and after a day on it - I knew that is what I wanted. I had ridden other bikes too for comparison. I wish we were closer - I'd let you borrow that bike for a day (I still have it). But how tall are you? I know your petite but not sure on height so it might not be the right bike for you anyway.

I'm riding a KTM 105 SX right now (well when I heal anyway) and I'm sure liking the better suspension and good strong motor! Lots of bottom end so it lugs great and picks that front wheel right up. And it's easy to manage - I can load and unload my own bike no prob, can pick it up very easily after dumping, can even pull it back up onto the trail after flying off the edge on steep mountain sides, kicks over easy but most importantly, its fun to fling around on the tight trails! It's not a real good steep hill climber - it's wheels act more like pizza cutters in the softer dirt compared to big bike tires and it cant recover on the hills like a bigger motor can so I have to run a clean line from the start or I screw myself! Oh well, that'll just make me a better rider.

You'll get a lot of good info from the ladies on here about their bikes and the set up that is working for them.

Def go for the bigger bike with better suspension. You'll love it!!! Time's awastin! Why not spend what time you got on a funner-er bike :worthy:

Beautiful trails!!!

Did all the same bikes you did i cant go to a 250 as easy without finding one lowered or lowering it i m only 5-1 so i am still stuck on the 230 but this one is the honda lighter & a bit taller that my yami 230. We keep the ttr125 for fun that little bike is a blast! I say go big!!!:worthy:

If you've already ridden a bigger bike and loved it, you'll hate anything smaller. I went from a KX 80 BW (basicaly a KX100) to a WR 250f, and it was night and day. I still like to ride the 80 in certain places, but the WR is my new favorite. Until my hub stole it from me and put a plate on it :worthy:

Nice RockGardn Flak Jacket. I love love love love mine.

We both carry a camera:

Canon Power Shot A1000 IS

Canon Power Shot A570 IS

Have had nothing but good shots with them. Cheap enough you don't get to worried about hauling them.

I went bigger and ditched the smaller bike. Then regretted it when I didn't get to ride as much as I liked. Plus the bigger bike I got is an underpowered, heavy toad. Not that I'm really complaining... :lol:

Seriously, you may want to hang on to the smaller bike for more technical rides until you get really proficient on the bigger bike. Sometimes a safety net feels good to have. Once you reach the point where you can't stand the smaller bike anymore, or regreat taking it instead of the bigger bike, send it down the road. Or just hang on to it for friends to learn on.

I'll likely keep my TTR125 forever... I have so much into it, I'll never get much out of it selling it (loads of mods). It's just too fun and easy to ride. In fact, right now it is loaned out for a newbie dirt rider to learn the ropes on. I'm looking for something bigger than that, but lighter w/more power than my TTR250... which includes just about anything. :worthy: I want to be able to dual sport it without a ton of cost, so something w/lights is important. Other than that, pretty wide open (prefer 4 stroke).

Anyway, if you can afford to, it is nice to have a backup bike. :lol:

she won't look back at the little bike or the pig, she'll love the wr or whatever bigger better hung bike she gets. In that terrain the difference is HUGE--it's wheel size and suspension.

Be sure to get the right springs and sag for your weight, and have a blast!

Awesom pics!!! Beautiful backcountry! In the one pic it looks like a drop into a switchbacky trail - did you go down/come up that?

But how tall are you? I know your petite but not sure on height so it might not be the right bike for you anyway.

Thanks for all the information and your personal opinions so far. I want to definitely ride it more before selling the 230. I'd like to keep both for a while. Geesh, I've only been out once and don't have any idea when the next time will be. Unfortunately I know I couldn't pull the bike back up on the trail by myself. I need some super strength for that.

BB, the one pic does look like a switchbacky trail but it's not. It dropped right off the edge. That was the end of the road there.

And as far as my height, I'm a little over 5 feet 7 inches. I have extra long arms and legs.

Thanks again and keep the opinions coming.:worthy:

she won't look back at the little bike or the pig, she'll love the wr or whatever bigger better hung bike she gets. In that terrain the difference is HUGE--it's wheel size and suspension.

Be sure to get the right springs and sag for your weight, and have a blast!

LOL! I'm just a little worried about the tight rockie single track we were doing.:lol: Haven't been there yet this season. Just thinking about the tight switch backs and drop offs makes my knees shake a little. Still wanna go though.:worthy: I agree with the wheel size and suspension is a huge must. Thanks PP:thumbsup:

LOL! I'm just a little worried about the tight rockie single track we were doing.:lol: Haven't been there yet this season. Just thinking about the tight switch backs and drop offs makes my knees shake a little. Still wanna go though.:worthy: I agree with the wheel size and suspension is a huge must. Thanks PP:thumbsup:

You can do it! moving the forks up in the triple clamps and also either being up on the tank if you're sitting and also leaning the bike(sitting or standing)instead of steering by turning the bars to get around a turn were the biggest helps to me. You height is a plus!

If you can deadlift 100 pounds, say 3 sets of 4, you can pick up a wr no prob(that will give you something to work on specifically). ANything you can do to increase your overall strength will help SO MUCH in how you handle the bike. You don't need to be an amazon, on the other hand, because you also need to learn to relax. But all that will come with riding too :lol:

The difference between riding my ttr125L and my wr is literally I felt llike I was picking up and throwing that ttr up n down the trails(sorry Yamamama!). The wr rides itself!

I can't deadlift 50 pounds : > } and I can lift my bike. The only time I have a problem is when I am trying to stand it up against an incline. The TTR230 weighs 256lbs and WR250 260lbs, not really enough to make a huge difference. I think the WR is a little more cumbersome because of the extra height.

I do agree with you about being in good physical shape. I have fallen off my exercise routine and it makes a huge difference. I get tired soooo much faster than I used to.

I think you should ride your husbands as much a possible and then move up when your sure you won't miss the 230.

Are you pretty set on 4strokes? What about getting a light woods 2-stroke? something like a ktm200exc?

It's way light, fast and great for trails from what I hear.

BTW- is that American Fork Canyon that you are riding in?

I think you should ride your husbands as much a possible and then move up when your sure you won't miss the 230.

Are you pretty set on 4strokes?

BTW- is that American Fork Canyon that you are riding in?

WR250Girl, I think that is what I want to do. Ride his a bunch more before I get rid of the 230. :worthy:

For now I'm set on 4 strokes Juicebox. But do have an open mind about changing bikes and set up for myself.

And no that is not AF, but that is the single track we rode all last fall. That is what I want to try the bigger bike on and see if I can handle it. The hub rode the 040 out last week and said it was horrible. Apparently the forest service is breaking a new trail in and it isn't the best of conditions right now. If I didn't have to get kids to swimming I'd be going with him up AF tonight. O-well next week and I'll give a report.:lol:

When I upgraded from my 230F to my KTM I was nervous as heck! I rode back & forth for awhile until one day the 230 just stayed in the garage. I finally sold it to a friend.

I love my 250 now... would not trade it for anything. The suspension, the fact that it is lighter than the 230, the power when I need it. It took some getting used too, but now I would not trade my bike for nutin!

Good luck with your quest!

I'd say go for the bigger bike but invest in some good suspension work. Makes ALL the difference if you ask me. You probably weigh less than what the bike is built for. If the suspension is working for you, you won't struggle as much with the weight difference to a bigger bike. :worthy: