Part out bottom end or sell as whole?

Hey fella's.

I'm parting out my bike, and I have a question about how to sell the bottom end. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pull the clutch and the basket... should I sell the bottom end just as it is without those items, or should I go ahead and split the case, pull the tranny and crank and sell them and the cases all separate?

I guess the long and short of what I'm trying to determine is "is there more of a market for a complete bottom end, or it's components?"

Anyone with experience in this area that can lend a hand, I'd certainly appreciate it.

I would sell it in peices. For examble the entire gear set including shift forks etc, clutch and basket, balancers and all the idler gears, Then sell the case halfs and a whole set.

I sold an old KX250 bottom as a whole. It worked for me at the time. I didn't want to keep paying insertion fees with ebay for every small piece/gear then take a chance of them not selling. I thought about craigslist but the fact is that I needed something that would expand my potential market. The odds that someone within 50-100 mile radius would need the pieces I had is very slim. Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know what you decide. :worthy:

DOH! The only two responses and they conflict! lol. :worthy:

I certainly appreciate the responses and opinions. Being the tinkerer that I am, I will most likely tear the motor down and sell the tranny as a whole, the crank, the cases, etc.

You will get a little more if you sell each part. It may take longer, you may spend more time taking it down, packing each part, going ot the post office. Depends what your time is worth.

if you already have a case splitter and time than I say go for it. I also think that you would probibly make more money assuming you won't need to buy a splitter. At the time it selling whole was what worked better for me.

good luck

case spliter? I can that a dead blow and wood blocks.

case spliter? I can that a dead blow and wood blocks.

LOL, esp. if you are not reusing the crank.... :worthy:

That is the where the wood blocks come into play.