Sign in to follow this  

Oil Leaking

I had noticed a slight oil leak on my son's KLX 110. It was not consistent but every now and then I would see a few drops in the garage after he had been riding it. I decided it was probably just a slightly leaky seal and that I'd keep an eye on it. Well, we went to the track yesterday and he had a minor crash. After I got the bike back up I noticed a small pool of oil on the ground and saw oil dripping from his bike. I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from as most of his case seemed to have oil all over it. After checking his oil level I decided he had not lost enough oil to stop riding and we finished the lap and called it a day. There was a little more dripping - mostly following that crash - but not much for the rest of the day.

I am thinking that the oil losses usually follow a crash when the bike is off it's vertical axis. I am not 100% on that but it makes sense since it doesn't always leak. I am going to take a closer look when I have some time but would appreciate any input or advice that anyone else can offer. Are there any particular bolts or seals that I should pay special attention to? I don't have a service manual so I pretty much go by online diagrams when servicing his bike. Also, I need to do an oil change which will be a good time to check for leaks. However, I've never done one on his bike yet. Is it pretty straight forward (remove the drain screw, drain the oil, fill it back up), or is there more to it than that. And can anyone tell me how much oil a KLX 110 takes?

Thanks for any help in these matters,

Matt

oil change is pretty basic. Take out the drain plug, fill it with almost a quart of oil. I would change the oil filter as well which again is very simple. Oil could be leaking from behind the sprocket. Check the pegmount bolts as well.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check those places out for the leak.

Matt

My son dumped our 110 on its side and we found oil as well. It came from a drain tube that is run behind the engine. No leaks in the sealing areas of the motor. When doing the oil change, get a new filter and o-ring for the filter housing, use 1 qt of oil and do not overtorque the peg bolts for the skid plate or filter housing. I use 9ftlbs for the filter housing bolts and 14 ftlbs for the peg bolts with no problems.

My son dumped our 110 on its side and we found oil as well. It came from a drain tube that is run behind the engine. No leaks in the sealing areas of the motor. When doing the oil change, get a new filter and o-ring for the filter housing, use 1 qt of oil and do not overtorque the peg bolts for the skid plate or filter housing. I use 9ftlbs for the filter housing bolts and 14 ftlbs for the peg bolts with no problems.

I have oil leaking from that tube as well now. It dumps out of there everytime you let off the throttle, can't find my service manual anywhere, and need some advice on how to fix it

Thanks ryan

oil change is pretty basic. Take out the drain plug, fill it with almost a quart of oil. I would change the oil filter as well which again is very simple. Oil could be leaking from behind the sprocket. Check the pegmount bolts as well.

sorry about posting in an old forum. First post. But I have a problem I cannot find a solution to. My sons klx 110 hasnt been dropped recently, but always had a small oil leak. It just got worst, the front sprocket/chain/ and rear of bike have oil on them. I took the chain off, front sprocket off, wiped off that whole area and started the bike up. took about 8 minutes but then came the oil.It seems to be coming from the countershaft. I only see it dripping from the shaft tip. does that mean I need to replace the seals or o rings? what are they called? where can I get them? any post explaining how to do it? I do have a picture of it. Please help me out