rm80 trying to make street legal

how can i make my suzuki 2000 rm 80 street legal? any info greatly appreciated

Well, I would think that so much work would be involved that you would be better off having at least a 250.

i was told that i just need dot approved tires lights and brake light and mirror. i dont have a title though.....is it possible to get it street legal

no it doesn't take just that, you need a metal gas tank, flashers

PLUS, your bike is not registered as a road bike, so if you get stopped, the VIN indicates its offroad use, so unless you go through and inspection and get your bike approved for ROAD.. than ok.. but forget it.. it will never pass inspection.

so if i did all that. why wouldnt it pass then?

its a smoker, it will be pretty hard to pass emissions, if you want to spend all the $$ and arrive to get it passed and approved and it doesn't pass.. I would be pretty pissed spending all that $ for no good reason.

Just buy a scotter and fit your rm engine in it and don't tell anyone

Installing a headlight and adding the proper amount of headlight fluid will get you on your way.

That is of course right after the installation of a DOT approved muffler bearing and powerband assembly. :worthy:

you could try putting it in your ass:moon:

its a smoker, it will be pretty hard to pass emissions, if you want to spend all the $$ and arrive to get it passed and approved and it doesn't pass.. I would be pretty pissed spending all that $ for no good reason.

not sure where you came up with all that stuff but he aint in canada. no emission tests on bikes. many street legal bikes come with a plastic or nylon tank (my triumph sprint has one). ktm 4strk exc's? not all states have the same rules. some are qiute easy to pass. now, the fact he wants to license a rm80 with no title, aint going to happen. why would you? lights, DOT legal tires? for a bike that might go 45 mph. besides, every cop in the county will pull you over.

not sure where you came up with all that stuff but he aint in canada. no emission tests on bikes. many street legal bikes come with a plastic or nylon tank (my triumph sprint has one). ktm 4strk exc's? not all states have the same rules. some are qiute easy to pass. now, the fact he wants to license a rm80 with no title, aint going to happen. why would you? lights, DOT legal tires? for a bike that might go 45 mph. besides, every cop in the county will pull you over.

+1 Ohio is fairly easy to get a bike plated compared to some places. Many dualsporters around here have headlight, tailight, mirror, some have brakelights, then can go to their BMV and sign a little bit of paper saying they've converted the bike to street legal and can get a plate sight unseen (bike doesn't have to be there or be inspected) if you have a title. Having said that I don't see the point either in making a RM80 semi-legal, seems like with a stator rewind, lights, etc it would cheaper to pay a ticket.

i would work on getting a bike with a title first then try and make it street legal

i only have one question. it's not meant to be smart azz.

but Why?

?

i only have one question. it's not meant to be smart azz.

but Why?

?

My guess: This kid has gotten harassed by the cops and in true youthful fashion he is wanting to beat the system.

If he can aquire a motorcycle license, he can aquire a driver's license. Therefore, he can TAKE the bike somewhere where he could ride it legally. OR, get a bike that's meant for the street. My guess is that he's not old enough to get a motorcycle license anyway, so what's the point?

(what 16 year old rides an rm80?)

okay, i'll ride the fence a little (yes i already pooped on this idea). there are some trails around here that have to be connected by riding on gravel roads. sometimes the rangers don't cut you any slack as far as the bikes having plates while on a public road. (they see it as a source of income) if that's the reason for a plate, find that title. if he just wants to ride it to school, get a moped.

i am 22 lol i have a truck and 2 cars. i have trails around my house that can connect if i could ride like a half mile on the road in 3 spots. giving me like 30 or 40 miles of trails. i got pulled over 3 weeks ago and they let me go with a warning. i just wanna do it the right way cuz i have permission to be on the propertys just not the road

If you ride in a zigzag pattern, you might be able to bypass that rule by saying you were "just crossing the road." Or, you could get permission to ride along the side of the road, depending on whose property it is.

(I rephrase. What 22 year old rides an rm80?)

lol

Okay........I'm not gonna' bash you for riding an 80. There could be many reasons to explain it (short stature, beginner, only bike you got). My son's RM80 has plenty of power for a adult rider, and his '05 YZ85 is just plain SCARY FAST!!! Ohio is one of the most lenient states to tag offroad bikes. 1999 is the cut-off year for titles, so if it's 99 or older you're golden. Get a bill of sale made up....and notarized. Take that to the title office, sign affidavit for change of body designation, and get a MC title. Then go get a tag......simple :banana:

I've done many full-size bikes, but never a mini :worthy:

I did a ttr250 all i needed was a bycyle horn and mirror and a set of dot endro tires and a police inspection and that was all just took the paper work to the bmv and they sent me a title i got everything but the tires from walmart also i riged up a switch for the breaks the bike all ready had a battery and front and rear light