Sign in to follow this  

Ive got a polishing problem

its addicting. after the frame, clutch cover, left crankcase cover, cam cover, kicker, brake lever..i think you get the idea. anyone know of a PA(polishing annonomus)? And tell me what you think of the shaved seat, it was my first attempt

DSCN1228.jpg

DSCN1229.jpg

DSCN1231.jpg

And just for giggles, here is the old monster of a bike i had before the Honda

DSCN6548.jpg

You should read some of the polishing threads if you really want it to shine. Nothing you've polished so far has gone through enough stages of sanding/polishing to really consider it polished. See all the scratch marks? In a truly polsihed part, those are completely gone leaving a pristinely mirrored surface.

Go for the swingarm :worthy: . I did it on my 125...the 250f is next. I also did the kickstarter on both and clutch over on the 125. Looks sweet!

i had just got back that night. havent had the time. and the other side of the frame has been wet sanded with 1200 grit, im still working on this side of the bike. just got excited and posted some pics. when i have more time it will all be mirrored, but i rather ride than polish

keep going, like said previously go even smaller in grit size to get rid of the scratches..

You should read some of the polishing threads if you really want it to shine. Nothing you've polished so far has gone through enough stages of sanding/polishing to really consider it polished. See all the scratch marks? In a truly polsihed part, those are completely gone leaving a pristinely mirrored surface.

Been there my friend. I used to make my frame like this every week.

cove011.jpg

inyourface004.jpg

After a while i got sick of doing it and settled for a more factory race look instead of the fmx look

4saleagain003.jpg

I still painted out the rc valve cover and ignition cover and stripped the clutch cover.

POlishing is an addiction one im glad i kind of have under control (my fingers hated me for it!!

Been there my friend. I used to make my frame like this every week.

cove011.jpg

inyourface004.jpg

After a while i got sick of doing it and settled for a more factory race look instead of the fmx look

4saleagain003.jpg

I still painted out the rc valve cover and ignition cover and stripped the clutch cover.

POlishing is an addiction one im glad i kind of have under control (my fingers hated me for it!!

at first I was like why are you taking pictures of yourself in the mirror and then I noticed it was your frame and I was like:eek:

like some others have said... you need to follow the right polishing steps to make your bike look good. Here is an example of a good polish job... my clutch cover was pitted and scratched to hell (see the before shot)... i used 3 different sand papers including 1200 wet sanding... then polished it with a mini mothers polishing ball with mothers polish... can't beat it.

Here is my bike and the clutch cover before...

IMG00110.jpg

clutchcoverbefore.jpg

Here is my clutch cover after REMOVING it, sanding, and polishing... clutchcover2.jpg

clutchcover1.jpg

like some others have said... you need to follow the right polishing steps to make your bike look good. Here is an example of a good polish job... my clutch cover was pitted and scratched to hell (see the before shot)... i used 3 different sand papers including 1200 wet sanding... then polished it with a mini mothers polishing ball with mothers polish... can't beat it.

IMG00110.jpg

clutchcoverbefore.jpg

Here is my clutch cover after REMOVING it, sanding, and polishing... clutchcover2.jpg

clutchcover1.jpg

Clutch cover looks sweet!!!!!

Have you got any photos of it after a couple of rides??

k digitty - sorry i don't have any pics after riding it yet... However, i know it will get dull when hot but all of the hard work is done, when i wash my bike, all i'll need to do is hand polish it a little and it'll look like a mirror again. Everyone thinks that polished clutch covers just get ruined when you ride them... so does everything else on your bike... a little TLC and everything looks brand new again! I'm very meticulous when it comes to taking care of my bike, i typically wash it every time i ride it... which is usually once or twice a week at the track. clean bikes are faster... everyone knows that! haha!

IMG00110.jpg

clutchcoverbefore.jpg

clutchcover1.jpg

that looks amazing :worthy:

do the 09 450s have magnesium engine covers also?

k digitty - sorry i don't have any pics after riding it yet... However, i know it will get dull when hot but all of the hard work is done, when i wash my bike, all i'll need to do is hand polish it a little and it'll look like a mirror again. Everyone thinks that polished clutch covers just get ruined when you ride them... so does everything else on your bike... a little TLC and everything looks brand new again! I'm very meticulous when it comes to taking care of my bike, i typically wash it every time i ride it... which is usually once or twice a week at the track. clean bikes are faster... everyone knows that! haha!

Same Here!!! A clean bikes a happy bike!!!!! That's my motto!!!!!

guys omg u should have seen my 07 kx250f after i had everything polished, i had the kicker, frame, swing arm, brank pedal, levers, valve cover, clutch/ignition covers and my spokes all polished. it loked sick, i recently bought a 09 kx250f and the mechanic at my shop (cernics) showed me a travis pastranas bike, i meet him that day, he came to pick up his yoshimura bike, it was decked out alot, and he had his frame chrome dipped, it looked sick, this winter i think im gonna dip mine. he also said it dosnt dull out as fast if any, so im gonna do mine this winter when i got it tore compltly down when i grease my bearings and stuff.

that looks amazing :worthy:

do the 09 450s have magnesium engine covers also?

Thanks! Yes, I believe it is magnesium... however, it doesn't say it on the cover like the old ones used to.

guys omg u should have seen my 07 kx250f after i had everything polished, i had the kicker, frame, swing arm, brank pedal, levers, valve cover, clutch/ignition covers and my spokes all polished. it loked sick, i recently bought a 09 kx250f and the mechanic at my shop (cernics) showed me a travis pastranas bike, i meet him that day, he came to pick up his yoshimura bike, it was decked out alot, and he had his frame chrome dipped, it looked sick, this winter i think im gonna dip mine. he also said it dosnt dull out as fast if any, so im gonna do mine this winter when i got it tore compltly down when i grease my bearings and stuff.

Yeah, chrome dipping your frame would look sick... that is a lot of work though... especially getting those steering stem bearings out (and back in). My little brother just bought an '09 KX250F and loves it... great bike!

If i were you though... and i pulled the whole bike apart to dip the frame... i think i'd powder coat it or have it anodized black... along with the swing arm. The Kawi is just begging for more black to match its engine components, black wheels, and black number plates. Plus, if you make it all black, people know that you took the time and effort to have that done where the dipped frame will just look like a really good polish to the untrained eye.

Anyway, whatever you decide on, I'm sure it'll look sick! post some picks when you're done!

oh yea great advice pwangerin, i will defeently post pics, well wheni seen travis chrome dipped frame, it was spotless, it was deffently better than a really good polish job, but yea i considered the powder coated frame, but idk wat would be more expensive, any of yous know the price of wat a frame would cost to be chrome dipped?