Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Spark plug boot/wire question.

Been two weeks since I got my pig and have slowly been going through all the general maintenance stuff the make sure all is in good working order. Yesterday I took off the UNI filter and cleaned it and re-oiled and man was it dirty. Anyway, I thought I would take a look at the spark plug and see what it looked like. I grabbed the wire like I have done many times with other bikes and in the process pull the wire totally away from the boot that goes on the plug.:worthy: The boot is yellow with some sort of black clip or something on the top of the boot and the wire didn't appear to be damaged in any way. So I took the clip off, shoved the wire back in the boot and put the clip on again as well as I could. I figured for sure I would have to replace that wire but I get done working on her and she started right up and in 50 miles of riding has performed flawlessly. Is the wire and boot supposed to come apart like it did or am I just getting lucky that I am getting spark to the plug so far and it's only a matter of time.:lol:

Also, my typical spark plug socket won't fit between the sides of the head and the plug. Do I need a $35 socket from Honda shop to get it off or just find a super skinny spark pluck socket.

Thank you all in advance.

Not sure as I don't own a 650L. I'd assume the Spark plug cap end of the Coil wire comes apart like most other bikes. The Spark plug sockets a bit of a mission. It's either find an 18mm or for the non metric primates 11/16 tube type box socket or get a socket and grind down the sides so it fits in there...or pay the bucks to Mr Honda for the correct tool. You can generally find something to suit at a used Tool shop if theirs any around where you live. Take an old plug with you as a guide to help you find something close to whats needed.

not sure about the whole wire thing,but you do need to buy a spark plug socket from honda. ive tried everything out there and nothing els has worked. there is some aftermarket plug sockets out there,but in my expierence honda has the best socket and easiest to use. hope that helps you.

good riding......rock :worthy:

I bought a standard 18mm socket and had to turn down the outside on a lathe so it was a rather thin wall socket because there isn't enough room in the head for a standard 18mm socket to fit around the spark plug.

Been two weeks since I got my pig and have slowly been going through all the general maintenance stuff the make sure all is in good working order. Yesterday I took off the UNI filter and cleaned it and re-oiled and man was it dirty. Anyway, I thought I would take a look at the spark plug and see what it looked like. I grabbed the wire like I have done many times with other bikes and in the process pull the wire totally away from the boot that goes on the plug.:worthy: The boot is yellow with some sort of black clip or something on the top of the boot and the wire didn't appear to be damaged in any way. So I took the clip off, shoved the wire back in the boot and put the clip on again as well as I could. I figured for sure I would have to replace that wire but I get done working on her and she started right up and in 50 miles of riding has performed flawlessly. Is the wire and boot supposed to come apart like it did or am I just getting lucky that I am getting spark to the plug so far and it's only a matter of time.:lol:

Also, my typical spark plug socket won't fit between the sides of the head and the plug. Do I need a $35 socket from Honda shop to get it off or just find a super skinny spark pluck socket.

Thank you all in advance.

650L spark plug socket woes

I was reading in one of the posts here about the plug socket being kind of a pain on the L. After going to walmart to buy a cheapie socket to grind down to fit in the head, I found out that the plug is a special size...At least the NGK plug is. Neither the 5/8ths or the 11/16ths would fit the plug.

I then went to the Honda dealer to see if they had one in stock. Of course they didn't, and they said it would take 10 days to order one. To the tune of $20. Needless to say, I was a little shocked at the price.

So after a couple beers to settle my nerves, I got to thinking... why not just buy a deep well socket to fit the plug, and grind it down to fit? After hitting a couple stores, I stumbled into Advance Auto, and lo and behold, Gearwrench has a 6 pt deepwell 18mm socket for $3.99.

It fits in there perfect. I also trimmed an old eraser to fit in the socket to hold the plug, and it works like a charm. I pulled the plug, and the whole insulator is a nice even, light brown. I wish I could post a pic of it, but I'm not tech savvy enough yet to do it..lol

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else that is looking for a plug socket, and doesn't want to pay an exorbitant amount for it.

Not sure as I don't own a 650L. I'd assume the Spark plug cap end of the Coil wire comes apart like most other bikes. The Spark plug sockets a bit of a mission. It's either find an 18mm or for the non metric primates 11/16 tube type box socket or get a socket and grind down the sides so it fits in there...or pay the bucks to Mr Honda for the correct tool. You can generally find something to suit at a used Tool shop if theirs any around where you live. Take an old plug with you as a guide to help you find something close to whats needed.

Hey! :worthy:

Hey! :lol:

chill pickle boy...just because ur one wrung down on the evoloutionary ladder! :lol:

a standard 12 point 18mm deep well 3/8" drive socket fits just fine... :lol:

...dang wut a bunch of "todds" :worthy:

:banana:

And the correct way to remove the plug wire is by grabbing the yellow boot, not the wire.

I couldn't even begin to guess how long your fix will last. Good luck though.

I second what wreckmech said.....Goto Advanced Auto and buy the Gearwrench 6pt 18mm socket. Its worth the money, i just picked up a xr650l and had a similar problem, took the good advice from this forum and went to Advanced Auto. Had the plug out in a few seconds.

Thanks for all the help. I had to go to the local Honda shop to get some bolts for the bike and they had a socket for 11.99 so I picked it up so I have one. The Honda guy also told me that I should have no problems with the wire coming out, said to just twist it back in and put the clip back on the boot. Working fine so far and hopefully will for a good long time too.

These bikes are awesome...