Sign in to follow this  

Clutch won't release when cold

New to me 2002 DRZ400E. I think it's been sitting for most of the last year. Bought it last weekend, and I've put about 120 dirt miles on it. When I start it cold, it stalls when I put it into gear as if I wasn't pulling the clutch. After that it is fine. I found that reving it up as I put it into gear would break the clutch loose, and I was willing to live with it. Yesterday I did it and accidentally wheelied and crashed in front of my parents. That's never cool.

My wifes 07 TW 200 does that somewhat, doesnt stall, but jerks hard and clunks the first time. Prolly cold oil sticky between the plates?

have u changed the oil? it might be pretty ugly inside there

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't, but it looks great. Honey colored. I've never had a bike that didn't turn the oil black within a day or two.

You can't judge the quality of oil by looking at it.

It degenerates over time ,and will loose ability to do it's supposed job.

An oil change is one of the cheapest investments on your bike ,even if you decide to go for a high quality oil , eg silkolene

You can't judge the quality of oil by looking at it.

It degenerates over time ,and will loose ability to do it's supposed job.

An oil change is one of the cheapest investments on your bike ,even if you decide to go for a high quality oil , eg silkolene

I know these things to be true. I had a honeymoon period, but now I will stop and do all of the things that I should have done before I rode it.

Change oil, change oil filter, clean air filter, chanfe spark plug, do the loctite fixes and I would change brake fluids too. Check wheel, linkage and swingarm bearings. This procure should be done on any 2nd bike even if you know the owner.

have fun,

j.

This is very common to wet clutches

Hold the clutch lever in for 30 secs before engaging first gear

This allows the plates to free off from each other, from sitting overnight and gettgin stuck together

Works a treat for me

:lol: You can also zip tie the lever in before you start it to warm it up before you ride it,this will prelube&rince the plates,hope that helps ya.:lol::worthy: