Sign in to follow this  

Q. about California green sticker

Hello,

I am thinking my job my take me to Northern Cali. soon, I have a CR500AF that I built, I used a 1996 motor and a 2003 frame, everything that I am reading says that this bike would be a red sticker,

1. Q. do they go off of the vin on the frame or serial # on the motor on these custom built bikes?

2. Q. I read somewhere that if you live outside the state its a different permit, IS this permit similiar to the Green / Red permit as far as allowable times to ride in particular areas?

3. Q. As I mentioned I built this bike, I have acess to an earlier model frame ( 2002 ) , if I cut the neck from an erlier model frame and weld in this frame, even though this is a Gen 3, will the vin # application work for a green sticker?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Cblyx6

I "think" that the 500AF is a green sticker bike, its the odd ball of the group, somehow they got it thru, BUT you never know with CA. Generally its 02 n older only for 2st and green. The frame is the key, but coming in from out of state they sometimes do a VIN verification and then you would have two different numbers- frame n motor- different than what would be on your papers from the other state that is.

Hello,

I am thinking my job my take me to Northern Cali. soon, I have a CR500AF that I built, I used a 1996 motor and a 2003 frame, everything that I am reading says that this bike would be a red sticker,

1. Q. do they go off of the vin on the frame or serial # on the motor on these custom built bikes?

2. Q. I read somewhere that if you live outside the state its a different permit, IS this permit similiar to the Green / Red permit as far as allowable times to ride in particular areas?

3. Q. As I mentioned I built this bike, I have acess to an earlier model frame ( 2002 ) , if I cut the neck from an erlier model frame and weld in this frame, even though this is a Gen 3, will the vin # application work for a green sticker?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Cblyx6

Are you coming to live or to work here for a period of time? If your just visiting/working you can get a out of state permit. If your riding with a out of state permit I don't think the red/green sticker rules apply. I could be wrong on this so you might want to do more research on that.

Does the frame vin have a 3 or a C in the eight digit? If so it's a red sticker.

Any 2003 CR or CRF is a red sticker bike. The new CR 500AFx from service honda is green sticker because they use engines with serial numbers that were grandfathered into the green sticker program as well as 450x frames.

Here is what I would do if I were you.

1. Maintain residency in OK.

When you go riding, take your OK drivers licence.

2. Get an out of state OHV permit. It is the equivelent of a green sticker.

When you go riding make sure you go with a buddy's truck and not yours. If you have a truck registered in CA but your ID is from OK thats gonna make ricky ranger suspicious if they start asking too many questions.

3. Don't ride the same area consistently.

If law enforcement sees the same guy with the same bike out there frequently they're gonna know something is up.

Because the above may not be sustainable for any extended length of time, I'd buy a 450x frame with a title and convert all your 500 stuff over to that frame. That is legally legit and the only practical solution if your stay in CA is long term

Does the frame vin have a 3 or a C in the eight digit? If so it's a red sticker.

This is only true if the bike is 2003 or newer.

Both my 01 WR426 and my 02 YZ250 have either a 3 or a C in the 8th digit. But I was able to get a plate for both bikes before Cal stopped the process. They were grandfathered under the new rules. My 01 WR was a red sticker when I first bought it but after the rules changed the DMV upon renewal sent me a green sticker. Once I had a green sticker I was able to get a plate for it. My 02 YZ was plated when I bought it but I assume the situation was the same and that is the reason it was able to be plated in Ca.

I think it's more correct to say bikes from 03 forward with a 3 or a C in the eigth digit of the VIN# get a red sticker.

This is only true if the bike is 2003 or newer.

Both my 01 WR426 and my 02 YZ250 have either a 3 or a C in the 8th digit. But I was able to get a plate for both bikes before Cal stopped the process. They were grandfathered under the new rules. My 01 WR was a red sticker when I first bought it but after the rules changed the DMV upon renewal sent me a green sticker. Once I had a green sticker I was able to get a plate for it. My 02 YZ was plated when I bought it but I assume the situation was the same and that is the reason it was able to be plated in Ca.

I think it's more correct to say bikes from 03 forward with a 3 or a C in the eigth digit of the VIN# get a red sticker.

Good point. All I'm saying is that the DMV will make the determination by the vin# of the frame - not the motor. They don't know anything about makes/models and will just look at the 8th digit and the model year. If the title says 2003 or newer and there's a 3 or a C there it's going be red. If not it will be green!

I still remember that Service Honda somehow got green on these bikes, before the X was out, but i may not have it quite straight. Someone call Service Honda and ask them, they will know........

Service Honda has always used green sticker frames.

All bikes and motors before 2002 were grandfathered in as green sticker.

They now use CRF250X frames (green) and CR500 motors (green).

The 250X motors go into their CR85 conversions.

The way I remember it. If your bike is registered in OK, it doesn't need a visitor sticker. If your state does not require registration or the bike is unregistered, you need a visitor sticker.

If you move to CA, you have 7 days to change your drivers license and car license plate. If you plan to return to OK, I'd make sure you can skip the process.

My company has a project @ Shell refinery in Martinez, I am a salery person and am based out of Tulsa, If I get assigned to the project I would be there for a short period, 3 to 4 months tops, maybe 6 months, I guess the out of state would apply, and Oklahoma registration is optional. Mine are not registered, if the red / green sticker doesnt apply to the out of state bikes, then that would be my most likely route, THnaks for the info, didnt want to haul all the way out there to find out I couldnt ride due to the sticker stuff. I will bring my 77 Profab Yamaha for sure just in case.

cblyx6

Again check your vin #. If it's trully a green sticker frame it will not have a 3 or a C in the 8th digit. That's what the DMV's going to do.

Were in the process of moving to California from Idaho. A little birdie on this forum told me that if you own a Honda 450X even though it's newer than 02 it will be considered a green sticker bike. My bike does not have a C or a 3 in the first 8 of the Vin. Can anyone shed some light on this.

THX

Were in the process of moving to California from Idaho. A little birdie on this forum told me that if you own a Honda 450X even though it's newer than 02 it will be considered a green sticker bike. My bike does not have a C or a 3 in the first 8 of the Vin. Can anyone shed some light on this.

THX

Yeah, it will be a green sticker.

Good point. All I'm saying is that the DMV will make the determination by the vin# of the frame - not the motor. They don't know anything about makes/models and will just look at the 8th digit and the model year. If the title says 2003 or newer and there's a 3 or a C there it's going be red. If not it will be green!

anyone brought in an out of state plated crf and had any luck? seems like they are looking for epa sticker or 7500 miles...

I'd love to plate a cr500af, already have a plated crf450x

anyone brought in an out of state plated crf and had any luck? seems like they are looking for epa sticker or 7500 miles...

I'd love to plate a cr500af, already have a plated crf450x

When you bring in a bike from out of state they are supposed to do a VIN verification. Part of that is examining the emissions sticker. If it says "meets on road emissions" then your get a plate. Otherwise you get a green or red sticker. A CRF450X does not have a sticker that says "on road."

Sometimes the DMV is completely clueless and can't follow their own rules. I know a guy who somehow got lucky enough to plate a 2 stroke KTM 300EXC.

if you go to a small out of the way office in a small town it can happen as they are more laid back.

is there a 7500 mile rule if it is from out of state that exempts the EPA sticker? They told me to wait until I had 7500 milessince I "couldn't" pull off my seat and find that epa sticker. We should just produce these stickers, what a joke

is there a 7500 mile rule if it is from out of state that exempts the EPA sticker? They told me to wait until I had 7500 milessince I "couldn't" pull off my seat and find that epa sticker. We should just produce these stickers, what a joke

Just another example of the DMV not understanding their own rules. The 7500 mile rule is for vehicles that meet federal standards for on road emissions, but not California rules. That's where the term 49 state and 50 state vehicles comes from. Some manufacturers make cars for the US marken ans then a special slightly cleaner version for California.

Doesn't apply to a CR450X since it does not meet federal standards for on road emissions.