Sign in to follow this  

Splooge: How much is too much?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 YZ 125, and I am wondering how much splooge out of the silencer is too much, or indicative of a problem?

My bike runs absolutely great. Usually starts first kick, idles smooth, and once warm, it has amazing throttle response, never bogs, and has never fouled a plug (same plug has been in it 3+ years now). It runs as well as I could ever want. I run premium gas at 32:1.

My only concern is that after about 3 or 4 hours of riding, I will have a trail of splooge running out the rear of my silencer, down the bottom of it with signs some drops have landed on the swing arm. Is this normal??

I was told once that if it didn't splooge, that would be a cause for alarm. But it seems to me maybe some is normal, but this much maybe not - though I'm not sure, so I'm seeking your help :worthy:

Initially, I would assume it was a jetting issue. But without bogging, poor response, or fouling a plug, I don't want to be too quick to jump to conclusions.

What kind of riding?

You said 3+ yrs on the same plug so i'm assuming thats the same for the topend also, might be time for 1

^

That's correct, yathump.

I ride woods only, mostly single-track. I'll go up to Little Manistee / Lincoln Hills 2 or 3 times a year.

I am planning to put in a new top end next spring, and at that point I'm either selling to get a new bike, or keeping it and using it to start racing (always wanted to try MX :worthy:)

your bike definetly needs a new top end but your spooge problem might be solved if you repack the silencer. dont wait long to do that top end

Are you running an SA. I went round and round with the same problem you described. Leaned my jetting, repacked silencer, new top end and still no luck. Slapped my stock silencer on and problem solved. No spooge. This may not help if you are in the woods and needthe SA but I mostly ride track.

What kind of oil are you running.

My bike runs a lot cleaner, less spooge when I have a good quality premix oil in it compared to when I ran the cheapest stuff at our local bikeshop.

Are you running an SA. I went round and round with the same problem you described. Leaned my jetting, repacked silencer, new top end and still no luck. Slapped my stock silencer on and problem solved. No spooge. This may not help if you are in the woods and needthe SA but I mostly ride track.

S/As give me spooge too. CJ_Wai says that a TC2 and a JD needle do not give him spooge so it could simply be the needle if you aren't riding MX tracks.

What kind of oil are you running.

My bike runs a lot cleaner, less spooge when I have a good quality premix oil in it compared to when I ran the cheapest stuff at our local bikeshop.

These two tips help combat spooge. Stock silencer and run some Amsoil Interceptor. It has a very low flash point which helps it burn which prevents spooge to a degree. Of course spot on jetting, a new top end, a clean air filter, a reed valve that's in good shape, and a repacked silencer are also required.

S/As give me spooge too. CJ_Wai says that a TC2 and a JD needle do not give him spooge so it could simply be the needle if you aren't riding MX tracks.

These two tips help combat spooge. Stock silencer and run some Amsoil Interceptor. It has a very low flash point which helps it burn which prevents spooge to a degree. Of course spot on jetting, a new top end, a clean air filter, a reed valve that's in good shape, and a repacked silencer are also required.

hey; well idid some jetting and got pretty good results.42 jdred3 170 at 5000ft,with stock silencer not 1 hint of spooge ran good.threw on my fmf tcII and within 20 minutes riding i had about 2 inches down the pipe.

i did notice that the fmf silencer give better bottom torque(right off idle)but it is obviously more restrictive and i think i could move my needle 1/2 clip leaner and main to a 168 with the fmf.the 42 pilot screw setting did not change with th fmf so at idle the silencer flows the same.

i assume the needle is slightly rich as i am not on the main very often or for long.(high speed is for my xr650r)

cj

• Like 1

When I when from the EJ needle pos1 to EK pos1 (2 needles leaner) needle my spooge dropped.

Thanks for all the info, everyone.

The problem was with an entirely stock setup (pipe/silencer, jetting, etc). I keep my air filter clean, and use Yamalube and the Honda semi-synthetic.

Last night I put on a new FMF Fatty and PowerCore 2 silencer. I only went on a quick ride (half hour or so) to see how everything was functioning, and didn't see much splooge - just little drops at the end of the silencer.

^

That's correct, yathump.

I ride woods only, mostly single-track. I'll go up to Little Manistee / Lincoln Hills 2 or 3 times a year.

I am planning to put in a new top end next spring, and at that point I'm either selling to get a new bike, or keeping it and using it to start racing (always wanted to try MX :worthy:)

Well hell ya never get ahold of me, i live about 1/2hr away from there, jetting for single track is a pain because most of the time the bike does not generate enough heat to burn off the residual oil, you can only lean out the jetting so far before you start hurting performance. I rode Little Manistee yesterday and got the lovely spooge but thats the residual in the pipe from trail maint. stopping and going no way to combat that 1

I'll have to let ya know the next time I head up!

I'd like to get at least 3 or 4 more rides there done this summer; I've been recording my rides by GPS and I'd like to make some really nice maps for the area.