Housewife Secrets

So i saw this thread and everyone was posting their litte secrets and tips for various things...i must suck because i could only think of two. and apparently neither fit in

Drink Wine for all housewife issues..and white wine gets red wine out if you spill red wine solving your issue.

And...

I keep a can of copenhagen for bee stings.

Whats your handy dandy housewife tip? lol

I'm one of those "tip" girls but these are only things that I can think of right now.

Leave a roll of plastic garbage bags in the bottom of your trash can. When the full one goes out to the garage, a new liner is right there waiting to be installed.

If you have stainless steel appliances, clean them with soap and water, dry and then put plain 'ol mineral oil on a soft cloth and give them a good rub down. Keeps it much cleaner than with those expensive, and sometimes useless, specialty cleaners.

Icky microwave? Put a microwave safe container filled with water and some lemon, turn on for 5 minutes and then wipe out the ick! (I had a very sloppy ex husband!)

Too many limes from Costco? Zest several limes, put zest in ziplock freezer bag & freeze. Juice the limes, place 1T juice into ice cube trays and freeze. When frozen, pop into ziplock freezer bag. Need a nice cold Corona with lime, use 1/2 cube of lime cube and a small pinch of zest. Voila...fresh limes! The lime cubes work great for marinades and also mixed drinks.

Too many limes from Costco? Zest several limes, put zest in ziplock freezer bag & freeze. Juice the limes, place 1T juice into ice cube trays and freeze. When frozen, pop into ziplock freezer bag. Need a nice cold Corona with lime, use 1/2 cube of lime cube and a small pinch of zest. Voila...fresh limes! The lime cubes work great for marinades and also mixed drinks.

I'm thinking BBBOM will like that one!!!:worthy:

If you have stainless steel appliances, clean them with soap and water, dry and then put plain 'ol mineral oil on a soft cloth and give them a good rub down. Keeps it much cleaner than with those expensive, and sometimes useless, specialty cleaners.

THANK you for that!!! Finger prints and water spots are horrible! If this works, I owe you! :worthy:

I'm thinking BBBOM will like that one!!!:worthy:

I don't know, is there such thing as too many limes in that case? :lol: (sorry BBBOM, could NOT resist)

If you can use a whole bag of limes from Costco before they get hard and icky, you may have bigger things to worry about.... :worthy: Unless of course, you drink a lot of limeade :lol:

ahhhhhh!!!! Stepford Wives!!

Seriosuly though - you can do the same thing with chicken broth and ice-cube trays.

...and keep meat tenderizer around for bee stings - just don't forget and try to dip the meat tenderizer or use the copenhagen on a roast.

ME !!!!!111

Hahahhahaaaa... just kidding. Seriously though. Don't tell my fiance I posted in this thread.

My best tip is to put off the cooking and cleaning and go riding instead :worthy:

My second best tip is to use a meat baster when you make pancakes. It's a lot less messy than pouring and the pancakes come out perfectly round.

I gotta say I like the lime/Corona tip a lot better, though :lol:

stinky garbage disposal? Run some ice cubs thru first and then add a little soap or kitchen cleaner down it while it is running. If it is really bad use some bleach....thats all i can think of right now :worthy:

This is freakin hilarious, I should have known I would get these kinds of responses, LOLOL in the other thread on this other forum, it was like, "to make your house smell wonderful, like bake bread..." To get lipgloss out of a shirt" etc etc...

and here we are talking about homemade limes for our beers, freakin love it.

Anyone have a good solution for getting those awful black bike chain marks off your gear? -don't ask.

stinky garbage disposal? Run some ice cubs thru first and then add a little soap or kitchen cleaner down it while it is running. If it is really bad use some bleach....thats all i can think of right now :lol:

Throw a couple lime or lemon wedges down there, too, that works to "freshen" it up. Of course, they can be used lime wedges.......... :worthy:

Here are a few more:

Need to sanitize your sponge? 30 seconds in the microwave and all the little buggies are dead, dead, dead.

Want clean toilets? Drop an akla seltzer in the bowl once a week (buy the generic walmart brand) - when it is done bubbling, run your brush over the top part of the bowl and flush - sparkly clean bowl.

One of my favorite cleaning items? The Magic Eraser (again, Walmarts version) - it is great for cleaning walls (dog slobber) and does not remove the paint!

One of my favorite cleaning items? The Magic Eraser (again, Walmarts version) - it is great for cleaning walls (dog slobber) and does not remove the paint!

i LOVE magic erasers. They work great for crayon on walls.

Has anyone tried those new steam mops? I really want to buy one, but I'm hesitant on spending $90 on something that's a POS. My wood floors are getting discolored from my Swiffer wet jet thing. Although I do love the dry swiffer cloths, they pick up dog hair like no other.

i LOVE magic erasers. They work great for crayon on walls.

Has anyone tried those new steam mops? I really want to buy one, but I'm hesitant on spending $90 on something that's a POS. My wood floors are getting discolored from my Swiffer wet jet thing. Although I do love the dry swiffer cloths, they pick up dog hair like no other.

Yeah I too think the Magic erasers are sweet:thumbsup:

I have a very good household helper........call Kirby vacuums and get them to come out and do a good demo on how good the Vacuums are :lol:

Then sit back and enjoy a Margarita while they vacuum your place:banana: :worthy:

My best tip is to put off the cooking and cleaning and go riding instead :worthy:

My second best tip is to use a meat baster when you make pancakes. It's a lot less messy than pouring and the pancakes come out perfectly round.

I gotta say I like the lime/Corona tip a lot better, though :lol:

This is brilliant, up till now, I've used a 1/3 cup measuring cup because it makes less of a mess than pouring it.

Ever make fruit or sausage pancakes? Ever had problems where all the fruit ends up in the last two cakes no matter how hard you stir it? Pour the cakes, add the fruit immediately, then flip. As long as the fruit/sausage is fairly thin (1/8-1/4 inch), the pancake will bake around them. If they're a little thicker than that, press them down while cooking.

Here's one for you but only if you've got kids/husband-boyfriend-SO-SOB-SLOB, etc who seem to eat in the carpeted area of the house. We used to rent a Rug Doctor about every other month. Finally, I bought one. Used it to clean the carpets, since then no one has spilled anything on the carpet.

Gasoline and matches remove heavy blood stains from carpet, don't ask me how I know.

Ok ok I'm a guy but I've got some since I'm the household cook. This thread caught my attention since I just moved in to my first house and needed all of the household tips I can get!. I like the one about the garbage bag roll in the bottom of the can. I HATE when I go to throw something away and there is no bag.

Recycle unused rice in to fried rice. It actually needs to be a few days old! Get your pan really hot and add some oil. Pour in the rice along with whatever veggies or pre cooked meat you want. Stir constantly while adding liberal amounts of soy sauce. The pan needs to be very hot and the only think keeping the rice from burning should be your constant stirring. A thick pan that won't lose its heat as the rice is thrown in will help a lot. It cooks very fast and if you use olive oil isn't unhealthy (though the taste isn't authentic).

Fruit about to spoil? buy some wine yeast and throw it in the fridge. It keeps for a long time and is cheap. When some fruit is about to spoil wash your hands really well with antibacterial. Clean the fruit. Remove seeds etc... Wash out a glass bottle or jar. I sometimes nuke them in the microwave for a few minutes to kill everything and dry it. Cut the fruit up small enough to fit in the bottle. Toss it in with some warm water and lots of sugar. Add the yeast. Put a baloon or condom over the top of the bottle to seal it then poke a few pin holes in it. Let it sit in a dark place until the baloon comes down. Run it through some cheese cloth or a strainer to remove the fuit bits and seal it up until you feel like drinking it. Tweak the times and amounts to what you like as you learn your way. Buy a cheap bit of tannin if you want it to have that "wine" pucker taste to it without including any grapes. --- Note, if it smells bad dont drink it! The yeast and alcohol stop other stuff from growing, but the other stuff can sometimes take hold before the yeast does its business. It will smell rancid if so. If it is bubbling long after the fruit is gone and it should be done it is probably turning in to vinegar (flies carry the bacteria that causes that). Also, dont sell it. It is legal to make your own wine but not sell it. Bottle selection is also very important. If the mouth is narrow the bubbles under the fruit can push it up in to the balloon and annoy the heck out of you. A bit of trial and error here. It also depends on how fast the fruit ferments. A wide container OR space between the fruit and the neck is the only safe way.

Awesome chocolate milk shakes. Powdered milk + hot chocolate mix + Ice and water = awesome. Be very liberal with the powdered milk. Add some sugar if you need it sweeter.

Make a label for the dishwasher that says Clean on one side, dirty on the other. Have family members put dishes in to the dish washer as they use them and then flip the card when they turn the washer on (I wish I had two washers :worthy: no unloading).

Thats about all I have sofar.

Fingers smell from peeling garlic? Run your fingers up and down (carefully) a stainless steel knife blade (or stainless spoon, fork, etc.)

Get splinters while camping? Apply a piece of duct tape to the area and pull it off.

Thinking of more....

Put a baloon or condom over the top of the bottle to seal it then poke a few pin holes in it.

To think I've always been worried abput pinholes in condoms. Turns out it's a good thing !:lol:

Actually I did a fruit cake like this once, with fermented fruit, and it was awesome. Just takes lots of patience...

All Hail Oic0 : A man who MAKES wine. :worthy:

Make a label for the dishwasher that says Clean on one side, dirty on the other. Have family members put dishes in to the dish washer as they use them and then flip the card when they turn the washer on (I wish I had two washers :worthy: no unloading).

I had one of those, but my 2 year old kept stealing it. So my hub would unload the dishwaser, thinking he was doing something nice, and I'd find sippy cups with skanky milk in the lid.

I have a really big cloest, with mirror doors. I hate cleaning it with paper towels or regular towels because I hate the lint. My grandma told me to use newspaper- it actually works really well!

I also have found that dogs are really good at cleaning the cat's litter box.....