TTR125L to CRF150?

Ok so I am about 5' 6'' give or take an inch or two and I have a TTR125L... I have only had it for a couple of months but I am starting to get a little bored with it... although I am not very strong and bike weight is a big factor for me... should I think about selling the TTR and trying to get a CRF? Oh yea and I will be riding in tight woods and I am not a very great rider but I think my skill level is past the beginner's stage.

if anything go to a 230. the 150 will be slightly faster.

the R or F 150?

the R or F 150?

Would probably be the CRF150F

Would probably be the CRF150F

oh i personally don't see a difference with the TTR and the 150F.........both slow imo, and not worth the money to just go from the 125 to the 150, i'd suggest the 230 then. i have a 150RB and absolutely love it. I'm only 5'1" and tip toe the big wheel

and just so you know the 150R's are lighter :worthy:

wat about the kx100s or the crf 150r?

there was a dirtbike shootout where they said the ttr 125 was a better bike than the crf 150f because of the wheight!

The TTR 230 is a pig - a great learner bike, but if you are already tired of the TTR125, go with the 150 if you like the size (ie: height) The 150 can be modified in so many ways to make it fast and it's way lighter than the 230.

If you are looking for the bigger bike, get one of the 250F's. They are better than the TTRs as they put the 'good' stuff on them. There's a lot of posts here to read over - do a search and you'll find a lot of good info.

I have been riding TTR 125Ls for about 6 years and have done just about everything to them (BBR) to make it more powerful. And i'm STILL not getting enough from it. So I'm looking to move up to a bigger bike also. Like you, weight is a big issue for me. I also only ride very tight technical trails so I like the light-weightness of the TTR125L. I've done quite a bit of research on the 150s and 230s. I won't be going up to the crf230 because it is just so dang heavy!! if you go up that much, you may as well get a 250 KTM or something that's lighter. The 150F is also pretty dang heavy and for not much more power. I'm going to be getting the CRF150RB. I think that's your best bet with more power put still keeping it light weight so you have control in the trails. You'll just have to have some mods done to it to make it more "trail friendly" since its technically a race bike.

hope this helps!

TTR230 very heavy! Had 2 of them. CRF230 not as heavy and a bit taller. compared to the TTR i was almost throwing the CRF around, But still kinda heavy i am not strong at all and i can pick it up its hard but i can. This bike is now too slow as well and i hate being so short i can't just get a 250 i have to find one modded already or spend the $$ and do it myself.

My son has a YZ125 2 smoke and i am eying that one! Still too tall but rides like a couch and light enough for me to pick up.

I would buy a CRF230 again over the TTR's if i didnt need to sell it to buy a faster bike i would keep it!:worthy:

agian i say the kx 100 or the crf 150rb!!

but if ur lookin into a bigger bike then i would look at the 125 2ts or the ktm 200

Thanks for your replies... I am also thinking about 2 strokes also but the only thing is that I have to convince my dad about getting a different bike... but he is a rider also so he understands... what 2 strokes would you recommend? Keep in mind the fact that I can't spend a whole lot and selling or trading the TTR125L is where most of the available money would come from

wat about the kx100s or the crf 150r?

there was a dirtbike shootout where they said the ttr 125 was a better bike than the crf 150f because of the wheight!

the 150 is a better built machine though, more power, better suspension, bigger brakes, beefier frame. Only downfall is the weight.

Don`t forget about the KLX140. It is lighter than the CRF150F. $300 cheaper than the CRF but, these 2 are only going to be slightly more powerfull then the TTR125L. Another thing to consider is that the CRF150R IS a race bike and has smaller wheels (17"front-14"rear) vs the current bike your on having 19"front and 16"rear. The smaller wheels don`t go over logs, rocks, ruts, etc... the same as the larger wheels do. Also, being that the R is a race bike that means there is no coolant overflow tank. If you are on trails that you find yourself in first gear alot then over heating the bike could be a issue. Everyones opinion of tight single track can vary, so over heating may not be a issue. I started my daughter out on a TTR125L and was looking at the next step up from that for her when she said "dad, I would rather have a 4 wheeler" :worthy: If a 2 stroke isn`t out of the question and your said that your 5'6" then the KDX200 can be had used at a decent price. Lots of them out there, huge parts availability and those have a very smooth controlable powerband and they are light.

Just my .02

Don`t forget about the KLX140. It is lighter than the CRF150F. $300 cheaper than the CRF but, these 2 are only going to be slightly more powerfull then the TTR125L. Another thing to consider is that the CRF150R IS a race bike and has smaller wheels (17"front-14"rear) vs the current bike your on having 19"front and 16"rear. The smaller wheels don`t go over logs, rocks, ruts, etc... the same as the larger wheels do. Also, being that the R is a race bike that means there is no coolant overflow tank. If you are on trails that you find yourself in first gear alot then over heating the bike could be a issue. Everyones opinion of tight single track can vary, so over heating may not be a issue. I started my daughter out on a TTR125L and was looking at the next step up from that for her when she said "dad, I would rather have a 4 wheeler" :worthy: If a 2 stroke isn`t out of the question and your said that your 5'6" then the KDX200 can be had used at a decent price. Lots of them out there, huge parts availability and those have a very smooth controlable powerband and they are light.

Just my .02

Thanks, that helped a lot and we have thought about the KLX140 it was actually the first thought but we couldn't find one for sale for a decent price in our area and about where I ride-I tend to mix it up a little bit but I am friends with quite a few people that race hare scrambles and I ride on their practice loops. But I am not a rider that goes very fast until I am familiar with the bike so over heating may be a problem

I had the 230F and if you are pushing the 125 to its limits that you will be tired of it quickly. I went to a 4-stroke KTM - 250 XCF-W (you want the W if you are doing technical trails). It was tall so I did have it lowered. I love this bike - the suspension is great - rolls over logs like they are not even there.

If you want to read a good write up on the 250 4-stroke check out this months dirt rider magazine.

Don`t forget about the KLX140. It is lighter than the CRF150F. $300 cheaper than the CRF but, these 2 are only going to be slightly more powerfull then the TTR125L. Another thing to consider is that the CRF150R IS a race bike and has smaller wheels (17"front-14"rear) vs the current bike your on having 19"front and 16"rear. The smaller wheels don`t go over logs, rocks, ruts, etc... the same as the larger wheels do. Also, being that the R is a race bike that means there is no coolant overflow tank. If you are on trails that you find yourself in first gear alot then over heating the bike could be a issue. Everyones opinion of tight single track can vary, so over heating may not be a issue. I started my daughter out on a TTR125L and was looking at the next step up from that for her when she said "dad, I would rather have a 4 wheeler" :lol: If a 2 stroke isn`t out of the question and your said that your 5'6" then the KDX200 can be had used at a decent price. Lots of them out there, huge parts availability and those have a very smooth controlable powerband and they are light.

Just my .02

that's the small wheel, the big wheel is 19/16 as well. Even though it's a race bike i have never raced with it. I use mine to just ride in the desert and go on trails and have never had any overheating problems even in 110 degrees. There are many different options that can be done to it to slow it down and make it more trail worthy such as a flywheel weight, spark arrester insert(or even whole exhaust system). I have gone from a 00 XR70 to a 03 XR80, to a 04 CR85R(the small wheel version with 17/14, and then to my current 07 CRF150RB(B for big wheel with the 19/16). If I was taller i'd already be on a CRF250R.......but i'm not, and i'm currently stuck on this bike, and i know that this bike has a lot to offer for many different riding skills(and is an awesome bike for anyone). I do have to say that i enjoy riding this bike more than my old 85 that i had. It was a lot harder to control in tight riding condition and sometimes had a little to much twist and go than i was comfortable with. The 150R is very tame and has good roll on power and a good bottom end grunt to get over obstacles, while also having a good top end hit if you need it. I am 5'1" and big heavy bikes have and always will be a problem for me..... and yes maybe the fact that 2-strokes are lighter bikes make them good for some people, but i'd say that the 150R is not a bike you want to just ignore because of it's R "for race" background.

The seat height of a TTR125L is 31.7 inches

weight is 198 lbs

ground clearance of 11.6 inches

front travel 7.1, and 6.6 rear

the height of a CRF150F is 32.5 inches

weight of 236 lbs

ground clearance 10 inches

9.1 inches of travel in front, 8.9 in rear

Now a CRF150R(small wheel 17/14) has a seat height of 32.8 inches

a weight of 183 lbs

ground clearance of 11.9 inches

front travel of 10.8, and rear of 10.8

the CRF150RB(big wheel 19/16) has a seat height of 34.1 inches(i'm 5'1" and tip toe)

a weight of 187

ground clearance of 13.2 inches

front travel of 10.8, and rear of 11.5.

To me the 150R's (which ever model) already stand out with having more options such as disc brakes, more ground clearance, more suspension travel, already lighter than the other bikes, etc........they do make oversized gas tanks for them, bark busters, and all those goodies, but it already imo has a great advantage over those other bikes, and can be used for awhile. I have had mine for 2 years and still love it. :worthy:

The CRF150F is definitely a step up from the TTR in power & suspension, but you based on your size, make the step up to a TTR or CRF 230

As your skills increase, you can improve the suspension, or take the step to a 250F.

Either way, have fun!

that's the small wheel, the big wheel is 19/16 as well. Even though it's a race bike i have never raced with it. I use mine to just ride in the desert and go on trails and have never had any overheating problems even in 110 degrees. There are many different options that can be down to it to slow it down and make it more trail worthy such as a flywheel weight, spark arrester insert(or even whole exhaust system). I have gone from a 00 XR70 to a 03 XR80, to a 04 CR85R(the small wheel version with 17/14, and then to my current 07 CRF150RB(B for big wheel with the 19/16). If I was taller i'd already be on a CRF250R.......but i'm not, and i'm currently stuck on this bike, and i know that this bike has a lot to offer for many different riding skills(and is an awesome bike for anyone). I do have to say that i enjoy riding this bike more than my old 85 that i had. It was a lot harder to control in tight riding condition and sometimes had a little to much twist and go than i was comfortable with. The 150R is very tame and has good roll on power and a good bottom end grunt to get over obstacles, while also having a good top end hit if you need it. I am 5'1" and big heavy bikes have and always will be a problem for me..... and yes maybe the fact that 2-strokes are lighter bikes make them good for some people, but i'd say that the 150R is not a bike you want to just ignore because of it's R "for race" background.

The seat height of a TTR125L is 31.7 inches

weight is 198 lbs

ground clearance of 11.6 inches

front travel 7.1, and 6.6 rear

the height of a CRF150F is 32.5 inches

weight of 236 lbs

ground clearance 10 inches

9.1 inches of travel in front, 8.9 in rear

Now a CRF150R(small wheel 17/14) has a seat height of 32.8 inches

a weight of 183 lbs

ground clearance of 11.9 inches

front travel of 10.8, and rear of 10.8

the CRF150RB(big wheel 19/16) has a seat height of 34.1 inches(i'm 5'1" and tip toe)

a weight of 187

ground clearance of 13.2 inches

front travel of 10.8, and rear of 11.5.

To me the 150R's (which ever model) already stand out with having more options such as disc brakes, more ground clearance, more suspension travel, already lighter than the other bikes, etc........they do make oversized gas tanks for them, bark busters, and all those goodies, but it already imo has a great advantage over those other bikes, and can be used for awhile. I have had mine for 2 years and still love it. :worthy:

Excellent Post!!! I agree totally. I went from a TTR125L to the CRF150RB. I absolutely love it. I put on the flywheel weight and we put on the spark arrestor as well. I can keep up with the boys on the tight trails, they blow me away on the uphills though. They are on 250f's. I usually ride MX and it is just as good as most 250f's the other women are riding... I'm 5'3", 43 years old...

Excellent Post!!! I agree totally. I went from a TTR125L to the CRF150RB. I absolutely love it. I put on the flywheel weight and we put on the spark arrestor as well. I can keep up with the boys on the tight trails, they blow me away on the uphills though. They are on 250f's. I usually ride MX and it is just as good as most 250f's the other women are riding... I'm 5'3", 43 years old...

haha thanks...... I agree, and not bad for 43 :worthy: