Sign in to follow this  

new to me (used) 06 yfz - ditching dynojet kit - baseline settings?

Bike: 2006 Yamaha YFZ450. Bought the bike a few weeks ago, spun rod bearing after 2 hours, have 4 hours on the rebuild, seems pretty rich.

Location: MN, 1000-1500 ft above sea level, somewhat humid, avg. 80* F, trail riding

Mods: Fresh rebuild with WR450f crank & piston (12.5:1 - trying to run BP 93, but sometimes end up with random 91 non-oxy), cam mod (exhaust retarded one tooth), K&N filter with some sort of plain-jane aluminum intake pipe fitted between it and carb, no air box lid, stock pipe with spark arrestor removed.

I ordered a bunch of OE jets (160-180 mains, 42-48 pilots, and a 35 leak to try in combo with the zip-tie/o-ring accelerator pump mod) and the NCVQ needle, so that I can dump the entire Dynojet kit the previous owner has in (using the Dynojet 165 main - ~ 180 in keihin terms).

Looking for a starting point that's maybe just on the rich side so I can go from there. Thinking maybe 168 main, 45 pilot, 4th clip? But this is a random guess based on what I've been reading, since this is my first time jetting anything ever.

morning bump for a fast moving forum. Leaving tomorrow night for the lake with the quad, any recommendations for initial jetting?

So I stuck a 45 pilot and a 165 main in and the NCVQ needle on pos. 4, and put the fuel screw at 2 turns out. It certainly pulled harder and was smoother through transition areas, but I think I may be still a tad rich in spots.

For one, I still have to crack the throttle to get the quad to fire upon starting. Every once in a while when its warm it will fire right away, but usually I have to give it just a tad of throttle.

Also, from idle to 1/8 is a little sluggish through the rpm's, and I get the slightest (barely audible) sort of gurgling through the exhuast on decel. in gear.

From 1/8-1/2 throttle, its fairly good, but still a hair sluggish - at least compared to anything past 1/2 throttle which pulls like a bat out of hell (4th is almost scary fast).

I definitely plan to try my needle at pos. 3. The rich idle condition I'm not sure if its my pilot or my fuel screw, and I didn't play with it much since it was a pita to turn the carb just to get to the fuel screw - shoulda bought a better one.

I wonder how a 162 main would feel, too, but I'd like to dial in the idle to 1/2 area better first.

Now if I could just keep all the damned bolts from falling out when I ride.