Sign in to follow this  

1984 xr500r good bike?

Hey guys I'm a 2 stroke guy but my dad told me about a pretty nice 84 xr500r for $500 that he saw. He said it looks really nice and runs pretty well. Is this a good deal? What kind of up-keep costs (top end, clutch, etc.) would I be looking at for a bike this old? Thanks guys! :worthy:

Sure it's a great bike its an XR! Not so easy to find parts for those early XR's now and if it is the twin carb model (pre oil cooler I think?) they are known for overheating issues if thrashed.

If you are buying it as more of a collectors bike for the occasional casual trail ride it would be cool. Not something you would buy to thrash the crap out of and expect to be able to find parts easy to keep it roostin'

Like LurcherNZ said they run hot.... small oil capacity. Twin carbs can be a pain to tune and actually take off. Look for oil leaks, especially around the top end. These bikes are renowned for easily stripped threads around the head and valve cover.

Also check for any unusual rattles, smokey exhaust and a basic check of wheel bearings, suspension, airfilter, cracks in frame/rims etc.....

If it needs to much work your better off saving your money and buying a newer bike.

Cool good to know. Thanks fellas. Think I'll probably pass then since I like to ride my bikes a little on the harder side =) One carb is enough of a pain to deal with, two would suck...

Sorry, but that advise is questionable. There are PLENTY of old XR's being thrashed daily. My 85 is certainly not babied. Parts ARE available. There is nothing that can't be found.

Nothing more bulletproof either.

Sure there are plenty of old XRs still taking a beating. However they only made the twin carb XR's for two years 84, and 85. After 85 they went with an oil cooler and ditched the twin carb set up for good reason. Since they only made these bikes for two years they are harder to find 2nd hand parts for than say an 86-95 Xr250 or 96-2004 Xr250's and Xr400's which went relatively unchanged for long periods of time.

I take my hat off to anyone who properly maintains and enjoys a stock twin carb XR as they are very cool bikes but I definitely feel it will be easier to maintain a later model XR

I had an 85 single carb XR 350 and now have an XR 400. Power wise the are pretty close but riding them for me is night and day. Brakes and suspension is so much better on the 400. The 350 was better than the 500 anyway.

I take my hat off to anyone who properly maintains and enjoys a stock twin carb XR as they are very cool bikes but I definitely feel it will be easier to maintain a later model XR

Then take your hat off for me. I regularly beat on my 1984 XR500R and it has never failed, faltered or broken due to it's own flaws. It is always my error that causes trouble. And the dual carbs are no problem, just make sure they are clean with float adjusted properly and use an inline fuel filter. The stock 108/135 main jets are perfect, even with the UNI filter and Supertrapp exhaust, and it does not run hot. My dual carbs will go over 3 years of regular riding with *no maintenance* before they act funny and need to be cleaned and/or rebuilt. Just regular oil changes, air filter cleaning, suspension/steering lube, and valve adjustments... pretty basic stuff. Yes it's a heavy beast with old suspension technology, and yes parts are getting a little harder to find lately, but it is an absolute blast to ride. I love it. If I ever sell it, it will replaced with an XR600R or XR650R and only because parts are too scarce and expensive on old bikes.

Wow I just looked in your garage and that old XR500R is a beauty

I understand the reason the older bikes gave grief is probably due to neglect and poor maintenance which the newer bikes can probably cope better with.

I understand the reason the older bikes gave grief is probably due to neglect and poor maintenance which the newer bikes can probably cope better with.

Old bikes would be better with poor maintanace cause their clearances are larger it just the young one have not been round long enough to fail from their owners poor maintenace yet