new to me 2002 kx 250

i just picked up a 2002 kx250 and im new to the 2 stroke thing, is there anything i should check on the bike? and also i realized that i can turn the engine over with my hand on the kickstarter and it takes a few kicks to start im just wondering if it might need a new top end? thanks

check the front and rear wheels from side to side movement( wheel bearings) engine case linkage (oil leakage) check to see what the condition is of the oil, milky oil for example. see if the radiators are bent and holding fluid. See the condition of air-box. Start the bike, put it in first gear and hold in the clutch, did the bike lurch and is creeping forward? if so, the bike may need a clutch basket. Ride the bike and see if the gears are smooth. How many hrs are on the top end now? My bike has 15 hrs on the top end and good commpression, and it takes 2-3 kicks to start, so its normal, but if you can turn the engine over fast and the kick starter goes down all the way, thats not normal, sounds like theres not enough compression

Buy a service manual and dismantle it -- inspect and determine which parts you need. At a minimum, you will want to replace piston, pin, bearing, clips, and gaskets. You should be able to find those parts for around $150-$200. The service manual will explain how to look at and check all of the wear items. Additional costs may be required based upon inspection of head and cylinder. Regardless, its still WAY cheaper than owning a modern high-rev, liquid cooled 4-stroke.

Buy a service manual and dismantle it -- inspect and determine which parts you need. At a minimum, you will want to replace piston, pin, bearing, clips, and gaskets. You should be able to find those parts for around $150-$200. The service manual will explain how to look at and check all of the wear items. Additional costs may be required based upon inspection of head and cylinder. Regardless, its still WAY cheaper than owning a modern high-rev, liquid cooled 4-stroke.

All the way!!! :worthy::banana:

yeah i have a modern high reving four stroke and that thing costs so much to maintain

not to get off topic but how has your crf been im thinking of getting one if i put 70 hours on my bike in a whole year its alot do you think i would be able to get away with not adjusting valves or changing pistons im a begginer i wanna get better but ill probaly never ride the bike to its full potential

yeah i have a modern high reving four stroke and that thing costs so much to maintain
I own a two-stroke and a four-stroke. In the short term, the four-stroke takes a little more work but is cheaper to maintain. In the long term, there is no comparison, the four-stroke is much more expensive to maintain properly. I can rebuild the two-stroke at least twice for what it costs to rebuild the four-stroke once (piston kit, timing chain, valve springs and seals, spring retainers are the minimum for a rebuild in my opinion), but the four-stroke sure as hell doesn't last twice as long between rebuilds. And if you need valves and valve-seat re-surfacing, the four-stroke costs more than five times the cost of re-building the two-stroke.