Sign in to follow this  

Grinding noise from the top of the head

Hi guys,

Pretty new to the DRZ and havent had a dirt bike for a few year,

took my DRZ out for a ride last night and when i was riding down the road i noticed a noise coming from the engine, at first i thought i was the whine from the front tyre but once stopped i realised it happened with the revs, upon stopping for a closer listen it appears to be coming from the top of the head around the valves/cams etc. Does anybody know of any common issues that cause this? do my valve clearences need to be done?

I havent owned the bike long but, its an 06/07 model with around 4000kms on the clock and the previous owner told me the valves were done around 1000kms ago. I have just recently changed the oil too. The bike seems to be going fine and there is no difference except this noise??

Thanks in advance guys!

Josh

Hi guys,

Pretty new to the DRZ and havent had a dirt bike for a few year,

took my DRZ out for a ride last night and when i was riding down the road i noticed a noise coming from the engine, at first i thought i was the whine from the front tyre but once stopped i realised it happened with the revs, upon stopping for a closer listen it appears to be coming from the top of the head around the valves/cams etc. Does anybody know of any common issues that cause this? do my valve clearences need to be done?

I havent owned the bike long but, its an 06/07 model with around 4000kms on the clock and the previous owner told me the valves were done around 1000kms ago. I have just recently changed the oil too. The bike seems to be going fine and there is no difference except this noise??

Thanks in advance guys!

Josh

First thing you should do is to check the valves...... Don`t rely on a seller " valves was just done"....etc. On some should we say..."quiet`er" Z`s the now absent cam chain slapping will now enhance the noise of the cams them self.....Which is normal. It is a noisy motor. Valve checking is a 15-60 minute job....depending on your tach. skills. .....Most likely you are ok....But check`em first...:worthy::lol:

Erling

ok thanks for that, i'll start with checking the valves, see if anything in there is loose, sounds kinda like the timimg chain could be rubbing on something? does it have a bearing or something on the tensioner that could have seized?

Also check if the auto decompressor on the exhaust cam is loose.