How does it survive? Or are people too preventative?

My friend has a raptor 250 that he rides regulary with me. Now, he bought it used with no air filter. He rides with no air filter, or use to. (I bought him one last week, forced him to use it). He always rode without one and never even thought about oil changes or valves. Now, I think we are waaay overdueing it with all the maintenance. I hear about bikes blowing up because they ran it ONCE with no air filter. His Raptor still runs like a champ.

Is he really lucky or are we being too bike-conscience with all the maintencance we do, and these bikes/quads are really durable?

He will have problems sooner or later, the raptor is probably tolerates the dirt better than average, but not forever

My friend has a raptor 250 that he rides regulary with me. Now, he bought it used with no air filter. He rides with no air filter, or use to. (I bought him one last week, forced him to use it). He always rode without one and never even thought about oil changes or valves. Now, I think we are waaay overdueing it with all the maintenance. I hear about bikes blowing up because they ran it ONCE with no air filter. His Raptor still runs like a champ.

Is he really lucky or are we being too bike-conscience with all the maintencance we do?

lets not find out.

no way we're overdoing it. Bike needs air+fuel to make combustion... dirt isn't a part of that mixture, and as far as I know it doesn't burn so well :worthy: get some dirt up in your cylinder wall while the piston strokes past it a couple hundred times...soon find out a clean airfilter is too easy to risk a chance.

you know ---Sounds just like the guy who chained smoked for 40 years and never got cancer. There is always a data point outside the bell curve.

-Erik

having ridden atvs most of my life, more than dirtbikes, 4stroke atv engines are about bulletproof. i have a 250 honda recon that has been rode hard and put away wet many times a week for about 4 years, with minimum maintenance (oil changes every few months). finally the top end had to be rebuilt after it was run with water in the oil for a couple of hours. bearings are shot but it still runs great for being a 2001. look at those old Big Red 250 ATCs that still run from the 80

this goes for the low performance utility atvs probably not for the high compression chain drives

The steel valves in the Raptor will be much more tolerant of dirt than the titanium valves in a four-stroke MXer. Regardless, he has certainly shortened the life of the engine.

you know ---Sounds just like the guy who chained smoked for 40 years and never got cancer. There is always a data point outside the bell curve.

-Erik

Nicely put. My great aunt only had coffee and cigarretes for as long as I can rememeber and died in her late eighties or early ninties. I buy motors on ebay all the time and the first thing you notice is the smell of burnt oil that hasn't been changed in years.

lol

We've got some TTR's that don't get maintained nearly enough yet they never have any problems besides flat tires occassionally.

I do the maintenance just because I love my bike, if you don't love yours--don't do it. :worthy:

you also have to consider the diffrences between the slow reving, air cooled, bullet proof bikes and the fast/high reving, high maintenance, race bikes.

most ttrs, air cooled crfs, and xr's wont be constantly slammin gears on a track at 12,000 rpm. (or somewhere around their)

it is a aircooled 2 valve engine. think about the xr's and how they are bullet proof, also this is not a high performance race engine, it was meant to take somewhat of a beating, im not sure but the airfilter mite be harder to reach too.

-Erik

lol...your best answer right there...

what about the saying "if in aint broke don't fix it"

He just got lucky that's all - maybe you ride in soil/sand that tends not to dust up so much, but if you suck in fine dust and an engine screams at 8000 to 13000 rpm, that's some pretty fast sanding that is going on in there....even 5000-8000 on a raptor would do a cylinder and rings in pretty quick.

I see the crap my airfilter stops in 1 20 minute moto - there is NO WAY i would let that through - even on a TTR or any other low maintenance bike.