Sign in to follow this  

USFS wants your input, Little Naches

The USFS has a proposed user fee change for the Little Naches drainage area.

The fee would be 5.00 dollars a night per vehicle. This does not apply to your dirt bike, only the mode of transportation you arrived in.

The proposed fee change areas would be Ponderosa camp, lost meadow, longmire meadow, and long meadow camp.

They are proposing adding trash bins, picinic tables, and fire ring grates.

They are NOT turning these areas into Kanner flats, they would remain primitive.

Please send comments in by September 30th, 2009. If no one wants tables or fire pits then they will not waste the money putting them in, which leaves more money to go up the trail. They will use some of this fee to fund the trail systems we all love to ride. I feel 5 bucks is very fair, this fee proposal was not due to the theft of the NOVA fund, this concept has been kicked around for a while now. The vault toilets need to be cleaned and pump, and as we are all aware they had their money stolen too!

I will be sending in my comments, I am fine with the fee, I do not want tables, and fire ring grates, keep it primitive this is why people camp there.

Please send comments to jbeidl@fs.fed.us or call 509-653-1432

Don't use the area but generally speaking I like when the money goes straight to the need. :worthy:

Don't use the area but generally speaking I like when the money goes straight to the need. :worthy:

true ! its unfortunate that poor ethics have reduced us to direct pay system as you go as the only answer to stop the thievery

I camp at ponderosa camp every summer i would love to have access to garbage cans, picnic tables and toilet paper in the sh-ter well worth 5 bucks a night

I can do with out the all the stuff, I would rather have all the money go to the trails. Garbage dumpsters are a pain in the butt. When they are full people set their bags next to the dumpster allowing animals to tear them open spread it all over.

I can do with out the all the stuff, I would rather have all the money go to the trails. Garbage dumpsters are a pain in the butt. When they are full people set their bags next to the dumpster allowing animals to tear them open spread it all over.

I am with you on not wanting all the stuff, tables would be in the way, and people steal them all the time. Fire ring grates would really screw up a good campfire.

I did not think about what happens when the dumpsters get full, and as much as I was for having them, I agree it would be a mess when they overflow.

More money up the trail where they need it.:worthy:

My husband and I camp out at the Little Naches area about 7-10 times a summer. I agree with the above quote and would DEFINITELY rather see that money go to the trails! I can't tell you how many times I've seen animals going through the dumpsters and wreaking havoc in the camping areas. There's plenty of "paid campgrounds" out there anyways. Keep the rest fee free and primitive and put the money where it belongs into the trails

It is important that we send comments in, I have been told there is already just cause to charge the smal,(l I think very fair) fee.

When the fees start being collected and the higher ups whom do not hands on manage this area say you are collecting all of this money you need to install more improvements, and I use that term loosly because I would like to see it stay the way it is.

The Naches Rangers need documentation to show the users of these areas do not want "improvements"

They are commited to using as much of this fee as possiable for the trails.

With the theft of the NOVA fund many of their professional well trained trail crews will most likley seek employment else where, or loose their jobs. So when we get the NOVA fund back they will have to re hire and train people which costs more money.

I camp at Little Naches every weekend from the time it opens I love the primitive open camping. The Naches Rangers are well aware that most users like it this way, we just need to make sure they have input saying so.:worthy:

I would like it to go to the trails to, but if there were more clubs and more people volunteering there time , keepin all our trails clear and safe-ish then the state would not have so much to do......join a club hug a machete

I am currently working with the Little Naches Rangers on a purposal for a group of vetted ORV users to voulenteer in the Little Naches drainage area to facilitate education and information. I am also a member of a club that does extensive trail work in this area, as well as many other ORV areas.

dr525 if you would be intrested in joining the voulenteer group please PM me.

My personal perspective is that a small user fee for "improvements" would be a waste of money. The improvements would detract from the primitive experience, get trashed by idiots and overwhelm the funding scheme with maintenance needs.

I hope they do NOT charge the fee, There are plenty of pay spots up there if some body wants to pay. I see empty spots all the time on normal weekends.

I would like to believe that the money could go to trails, but I think we would not see that much difference. There would be that much more for the FS to maintain and that cost money.

It seems pay spots have more non riding people in them and might lead to more user conflict because they "paid". When you camp at a free spot you can't complain much.

I camp up there several times a year and love to not have to pay to camp. I have already got tabs on my truck, trailer, bikes. I have also paid tax on the gas I use and on most every thing else I have purchased to go camping. I kinda of like the idea of free camping.

My dad camps up there at Kanner Flats only, and I think it is funny to pay 12.00 a night plus extra for the car. I camp across the creek for free.:worthy: